PDA

View Full Version : Subtle but effective lighting

Ricesnaps
11-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Saturday gave me time to consider what I was doing. My lighting on Saturday was:

2 x Acme Leo's
2 X Acme Scimitars
2 x Acme Linx (pointed at the ceiling)
2 x Acme Fascinations

Hey I love my Acme don't I!!!

It was a "no smoke machine" night too.

As the third guest came up for a request shielding his eyes from the bright lights, I began to think about what I was using and how I was using it. So I have a couple of questions.

Based on the fact that generally I am very very happy with my show when I am using smoke, I have a feeling I need to think about not blinding my clients. Now I already know the obvious answers - which would be along the lines of Par cans, LED par cans, wash style indirect lighting and so on. Fair play if that's what you think, but I am not convinced and certainly not convinced that this is the whole solution.

The other thought is about how I am rigging the gear. Now scans and barrels by there very nature are fairly mobile little things and without full DMX control, calming them down and making them point elsewhere is not always that easy. As for the Fascinations (goboflower effect), I point these on the dance floor, but generally that doesn't stop the blinding guests - point them on a high wall and you loose the effect generally. I tend to winch my goalpoast up to about 7ft - should I go higher and creat a bigger angle for the lighting or is that not safe?

Hopefully you get the general idea of my ask????

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-09-2006, 05:05 PM
I think generally with scans and barrels you need to get them up as high as you can and them have them pointing down onto the dance floor, so that they are on top of peoples heads rather than at head height.

The trouble is with this, is that it always comes down to the restriction of height in the venue.

alexperrins
11-09-2006, 05:07 PM
That's a problem for me too. Love the fascinations, but they are very bright for a small light - I have thought about going for the junior version but that doesn't answer your question - would love to hear some suggestions too!

CRAZY K
11-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Rice, as you know I dont use a lot of lights but since I started using the dynatwins I have had to be careful because as you know they have mirrors which send blinding light everywhere!

I get mine up as high as possible--but thats not more than 7 feet.

I guess you may not be able to get yours high enough to avoid the problem.

Theres an onboard programme on my twins which restricts the effects to swinging side to side (rather than up and down or round the room) and thats good especially with older dancers who dont want to be blinded when doing the twist!

The downside is that it produces unwelcome flashes of light for people sitting down at tables who dont want to dance!

When im doing stuff for younger age groups during the evening I use the full onboard range --they just seem to like quick bursts all over the place.

Rather than have all my effects on all the time I vary it between fixed colours, moonflower and scanner or all together depending on whats being played and who is dancing etc.obviously im in a different market because I do a lot of Barn Dancing with full colour floods on--gives the punters eyes a bit of a rest!

That approach gives people a rest from dazzling lights and I havent had any complaints.

I know from another forum that there have been complaints from customers of too many blinding lights in the face!

Lets face it--if you cant project on to ceiling or walls, you dont have many options left, I think some colour may help.

But then again that also depends on some help from the venue so to speak---if you have an oak panelled room---colours wont look bright either unless its on the dancers :sad:

HOW DID THE MUSIC PAN OUT SATURDAY? Funky motown etc :sad:

regards

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
11-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Alex, Not sure I agree with you on the fascinations. I love them and with a little haze they look great, but in a semi lit room, the projection effect does get a little lost. Possibly not quite the same as say a twister 4 HP would be on walls and ceilings. But without the haze, front on, they do dazzle - catch 22 maybe with them?

The other thing about my leo's and scimitars is maybe how I hang them? Usually they sit virticle (god I can't spell!), so maybe angling them down would help - which would unfortunately also make them lower - hopefully a picture will show what I mean?

alexperrins
11-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Maybe lower could work though! I will have to test the high/low theory out when I get my truss up and running. I imagine it'd probably best to take a good hour or so and just play with the heights and angles with the lights you have already got - stand back and see what looks best.

CRAZY K
11-09-2006, 08:57 PM
But where can you do that other than on the gig?

Every venue room is different--unless you hire a hall somewhere?

You dont get an hour to play with the lights :teeth:

CRAZY K

Corabar Steve
11-09-2006, 10:22 PM
The other thing about my leo's and scimitars is maybe how I hang them? Usually they sit virticle (god I can't spell!), so maybe angling them down would help - which would unfortunately also make them lower - hopefully a picture will show what I mean?
Try hanging them upside down, so the mirrors are at the other end. They run fine both ways up.

DMX Will
11-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Rather than have all my effects on all the time I vary it between fixed colours, moonflower and scanner or all together depending on whats being played and who is dancing etc

Thats the key, let the lights take it in turns, don't be scared to programme your lights so a light is out every now and then.

Regarding steve's point about hanging "upside down" this is something we do, depending on the event, so it can work.

Without boasting we dont tend to have a problem with blinding people, maybe it just comes naturally with the lights/rig we use, I don't know, so I'm afraid im little help! :sad:

CRAZY K
11-09-2006, 10:52 PM
I thought Rice hung them upside down any way--did when I went to a gig earlier in the year?

Think I tried this with the DynaTwins but they were too darned heavy!

CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-09-2006, 11:04 PM
I thought Rice hung them upside down any way--did when I went to a gig earlier in the year?

Think I tried this with the DynaTwins but they were too darned heavy!

CRAZY K

What at 6Kg? :omg:

Corabar Steve
11-09-2006, 11:09 PM
I thought Rice hung them upside down any way--did when I went to a gig earlier in the year
Maybe that's the problem :teeth:

Have a disco
12-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Cant see lights blinding people such a big issue they do go to a disco to be dazzled by lights by chance. But then people are strange

Ricesnaps
12-09-2006, 05:50 AM
Maybe that's the problem :teeth:
It's a problem both ways and I use them both ways depending on the mood!

CRAZY K
12-09-2006, 09:42 AM
Have a disco said--

Cant see lights blinding people such a big issue they do go to a disco to be dazzled by lights

It is an issue when they are invited to a Wedding or a Birthday party !!!!!!

Rather than going to a "Disco" or nightclub by choice where fair enough they expect bright dazzling lights.

The B and G or Party host doesnt want to upset his guests, especially when it isnt necessary.

Thats probably why Rice got the comments.

CRAZY K

alexperrins
12-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Would definitely agree. Subtlety is a big issue, especially with weddings. Even colouring and hue can be important. My opinion is to use as little as possible (perhaps alternate ligts as Will said - don't be afraid to turn some of them off), but use it effectively.

soundtracker
12-09-2006, 11:29 AM
my lights either aim above heads or on to dancefloor, I always go around the room, sit with people and check that they're not gonna be blinded - for younger parties, don't bother, because they don't mind!

Have a disco
12-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Have ever only been asked to move a light once in 20 years so cant really envisage it happening again for a long time

But using lighting in rotation solves that problem and keeps the show looking fresh all through the night (a mini light show in a sense) minimum to start with maximum nearer the end as to take into account the dance floor and of course smooch lighting nearer the end...

And if a B & G came up and said it was too bright or a mate had told them it was blinding them. I would ask them if they are happy with the lighting as its only them that counts in the end its there day/night there disco as long as they are happy I wouldnt give a hoot. The idea is to get them off the bums anyway to dance which is our main ambition for any disco. if they're stupid enough not to move there chair to a different angle then whoms to blame.. Im not willing to play musical chairs with my blights all night just to please one winging person. Execpt the Bride or groom or party hirer if requested of course.

A disco is a lightshow with music. what part of that would people not understand????????

CRAZY K
12-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Hmmm-I dont think this is very customer focussed is it?

People often go to Weddings who dont want to dance at all.

Maybe cant if disabled or aged.

No amount of blinding lights and ear splitting music will get them up.

CRAZY K

Have a disco
12-09-2006, 02:29 PM
theres being customer focused to the people whom HIRE you. To being PC for everyone else its a disco for godsake I repeat

A disco is a lightshow with music emphasised on the lightshow

I bend over backwards to a point but Im fed up of breaking my back for this section that section and every other blooming minor problem, please tell me why there are not special seats at the back for the elderly or disabled as they always blooming have to sit right in the lights or sit ontop of the speakers and then have the cheek to moan GET REAL, its a disco if they didn't want to come to dance then sit at the back where it will be quieter so they can chat. It makes perfect common sense to do this but 99% of people just plain do not use it and then blame us for for blinding and deafening them?????? DUH

Shaun
12-09-2006, 02:43 PM
theres being customer focused to the people whom HIRE you. To being PC for everyone else its a disco for godsake

Wouldn't it be better to be customer focused to EVERYONE in attendance, not just the hirer. Every guest is a potential customer afterall. I'll bend over backwards to make sure each and every person in the hall is satisfied...but hey, that's just me.

alexperrins
12-09-2006, 02:48 PM
I've haven't been going that long but that's always been my priority too - you never know who in the audience may want to hire you for another event. Aim to please everybody and the work should keep flowing (in theory!)

Have a disco
12-09-2006, 04:44 PM
even then there ARE limits to a point when you just have to SAY NO, they'll be asking you to buy there drinks next or light there fags to help them enjoy there night

We are here to make money and DJ not to be their butler moving preset lights about just because it gets in there eyes for 5 seconds in a 60 minute cycle Having met people like this in nightclubs I have learnt that these are from a particular group in life called WHINGERS and occasionally these should be rebuffed occasionally with a light joke as to get a life.

And please I am very customer focused just fed up of having to PC everything just too please whingers whom could find something more enjoyable with there lifes, and enjoy the function provided by helping the hirer celebrating there chosen event....

alexperrins
12-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Whingers are something I constantly tire at - they would definitely be in my top ten of things I wish I could be rid of in the world! Do they have nothing better to do I wonder?