View Full Version : Plasa 2011

DeckstarDeluxe
26-06-2011, 09:35 PM
http://www.plasashow.com/

Who's in this year? Pretty sure me and Dan are going

katman
29-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Is Plasa still worth a visit ?

I havent been for several years, the last time was the day the World Trade Centre was destroyed.

Just looked at the exhibitor list and the companies that used to be at the top of my "must see" list arent even listed now !

Would I be better going to BPM instead ?

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
29-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Not This year..
Its getting well away from us Mobile guys
plus last time it cost me 3 Gigs!

Cheers

Ps the Plasa Leeds Show was very very good!

Corabar Steve
29-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Not This year..
Its getting well away from us Mobile guys
Yawn http://planetsmilies.net/tired-sleeping-smiley-17374.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

We've had the same / similar comments about PLASA every year that this forum has been going, yet still members go & have a look round & find it useful. It's amazing just how much of the high end stuff does filter down to "our" level.

Corabar Entertainment
29-07-2011, 03:24 PM
...But in fairness, BPM is the show now that is really aimed at DJs. Plasa is nice to go along to once in a while to see what's out there and what might be along in the mobile world in a few years, but most of it is way above what is practical/affordable for a mobile DJ. Does give birth to a few ideas though! :D

Keith: Have a search on the forum for the threads about BPM (reports / pictures from previous years, plus a BPM 2011 thread about who's going). We usually have a bit of a forum meet with a silly night out on the Sunday, staying in a local hotel Sunday night. Everyone's welcome. :)

DeckstarDeluxe
29-07-2011, 03:31 PM
3 gigs to pay for Plasa? I'm only going to it not buying earls court!

Steve and Angela are you going this year?

Corabar Entertainment
29-07-2011, 03:39 PM
3 gigs to pay for Plasa? I'm only going to it not buying earls court!I think Dave means he lost out on 3 gigs by going.

Steve and Angela are you going this year?TBH, we haven't even thought about it, Neil. We're trying to fit too much in to too little time recently!

Whether we do or don't, we'll gladly come and meet you for a little drinky-poos, anyway :D

Corabar Steve
29-07-2011, 03:39 PM
3 gigs to pay for Plasa? I'm only going to it not buying earls court!

Steve and Angela are you going this year?
Dunno yet.

Cost him 3 gigs as in 3 gigs he couldn't do, not the cost of 3 gigs you :muppet:

katman
29-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Thanks Angela. Will have a look. NEC is a bit more difficult to get to than Earls Court but have been there for a few exhibitions in the past.

mattydj50
29-07-2011, 09:14 PM
I went to PLASA last year for the first time in around 20 years. What a complete waste of a day. Very little to interest the "average" mobile /party DJ, I spent most of the time walking round bored or talking to the guys from Mastermix! In and out within 90 minutes and that included sitting having a drink!!

Not worth it in my opinion.

DeckstarDeluxe
29-07-2011, 09:32 PM
The thing is for me I know to make money I need to branch out to services beyond DJing and thats where Plasa interests me seeing products years ahead of hitting the "mobile DJ market".

If your "just a DJ" (which I don't mean in a negative way) then I can understand why Plasa isn't of interest but it isn't really aimed at the Mobile DJ either. Why would it be when BPM is around the corner.

yourdj
29-07-2011, 10:31 PM
The thing is for me I know to make money I need to branch out to services beyond DJing and thats where Plasa interests me seeing products years ahead of hitting the "mobile DJ market".

If your "just a DJ" (which I don't mean in a negative way) then I can understand why Plasa isn't of interest but it isn't really aimed at the Mobile DJ either. Why would it be when BPM is around the corner.

:agree:

You can always take away one good thing which may possibly change your business perhaps. if you do not live in Scotland then Its worth the trip - unless you work midweek I suppose?

They might actually have some good touch screen stuff. i have been waitin years to see that tractor glass table thing. its about time this year. :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-08-2011, 08:27 PM
I went to PLASA for years and always thought it was of interest to anyone in the business, but the last time I went was 2 years ago and it was a waste of time regardless of what is there for the future and what trickles down to us.

Shame, but a waste of time.

Shakermaker Promotions
03-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Sorry but I have to agree with Darren. I have been twice. The first time was about 10 years ago and the most recent was 3 years ago.

I thought it was a bit boring to be honest.

Fullforceeventsltd
01-09-2011, 09:54 AM
I had a free registration link for a free Plasa ticket emailed to me.

https://www.cts-online.co.uk/Shows/plasa11foc/Default.asp

Those that want to go might be able to still use it and register for free.

I'm going to be going down on the Tuesday.

Larry B Entertainment
01-09-2011, 10:35 AM
They might actually have some good touch screen stuff. i have been waitin years to see that tractor glass table thing. its about time this year. :)

Tractor and Traktor :D

Cowlinn
07-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Just decided to go tonight :D

I'm going on monday.

jamie.t294
11-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Hello everyone,

Just went to Plasa today to have a look around. I actually went on two purposes, one for looking at future DJ equipment and one for looking at more theatre and concert based equipment for when I do events at school.

Now while I thought Plasa was interesting in order to just have a look at the best in sound and lighting equipment, it is (like previous years) not even considering the mobile DJ market. American DJ was there with a small stand. Also Emulator were there (the touch screen DJ interface). However that was about it. Several companies are showing off these new square shaped wireless LED uplighters (be it they cost a fortune, £4000-5000 for 6 incl. flightcase!). The Emulator was actually very impressive from a visual point of view but in my honest opinion it is a bit of a gimmick as it would be completely impractical for normal use...and expensive again!

For those of you the are just interested in high-end lighting and sound on an interest level or for other jobs you do, I would say it is definitely worth visiting. In my opinion, it looks as if Martin has lost its touch and Clay Paky is stepping in to their shoes (look at their Sharpy if you haven't already). There were also some very impressive sound systems there from HK Audio, Bose, Martin Audio and RCF.

Hope this has helped anyone deliberating on whether to go or not! :)

Jamie

mattydj50
11-09-2011, 08:51 PM
I went last year for the first time in about 20 years and was very disappointed and thoroughly bored. Spent most of the day talking to friends on the Mastermix stand and they aren't going this year. So neither am I.

Fullforceeventsltd
14-09-2011, 11:08 AM
I went to Plasa yesterday. Was ok but not as good as other years. Only stated about 4 hours and left.
Enjoyed looking at some of the various laser products and also the k-array systems. Organised a demo for a couple of the k-array systems in a few weeks.
The HB-laser demo room was good with the mirrored demo Walls and floor.
Was impressed with the EV-live x range of active speakers. Clay Paky demo was good too.
I was not impressed with the attitude of FBT audio which is a shame as was looking at a purchase of the pro-maxx system but been put off that now.