PDA

View Full Version : Need some help about an external hard drive.

Matty12
04-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Hi there

Hope your all ok,

Following from my thread about itunes, I am after a new external hard drive.

I would like it to have: 7200 RPM, firewire 400 and 800, usb 2.0 and eSATA (does not matter if not) I was thinking about G-technology but I'm not sure what hard drive / make to go for if you could give us some advise please that would be fantastic.

Thank you,

Matt.;) :)

Larry B Entertainment
04-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Go with the highest capacity you can afford. 1TB or even 2TB drives are now very reasonable.

Vectis
04-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Go with the highest capacity you can afford. 1TB or even 2TB drives are now very reasonable.

I would investigate further the requirements; given that this is posted on a DJ forum I'd suggest the OP is looking for a drive for playout purposes, in which case I wouldn't go for "the highest capacity you can afford" - rather "the most robust and reliable you can afford which has sufficient capacity".

I use a G-tech RAID0 with a pair of 256GB SSD's as the primary data drive on my main development mac via its FW800 interface and it's blazingly fast. Prior to swapping in the SSDs it carried a pair of SATA2 1TB hybrids which are now in USB caddies as backup drives. The case is made of 4mm aluminium and would probably survive a small rocket grenade :o

For the same money I could probably get about 10-15TB of £50-ish USB attached storage from the likes of WD, LaCie etc. ... but I know which I'd rather have ;)

When DJing I used the Freecom Toughdrive Pro's - primarily because of their improved shock tolerance but also because the Numark gear I used ran them quite happily without an external PSU.

BeerFunk
04-07-2011, 09:27 PM
I'd suggest the OP is looking for a drive for playout purposes, in which case I wouldn't go for "the highest capacity you can afford" - rather "the most robust and reliable you can afford which has sufficient capacity".Absolutely, and the I/O speed doesn't need to be that high to stream audio either. Even multiple WAV streams will handle OK on any modern (ish) drive.

When DJing I used the Freecom Toughdrive Pro's - primarily because of their improved shock tolerance but also because the Numark gear I used ran them quite happily without an external PSU.Having used various external drives throughout the years, the Freecom ones are the only ones which have been rock solid.

Actually, no that's not quite true, as Freecom was a cheap budget brand around 10 years ago, but in recent years they lead the way in terms of reliability.

Matty12
04-07-2011, 10:01 PM
I was thinking of buying two of theses one for taking out to my gigs and one as a backup at home.

http://www.jigsaw24.com/product-details/x377ava/g-tech-g-drive-1tb-desktop-external-hard-drive-(4th-generation)

BeerFunk
04-07-2011, 10:08 PM
I was thinking of buying two of theses one for taking out to my gigs and one as a backup at home.

http://www.jigsaw24.com/product-details/x377ava/g-tech-g-drive-1tb-desktop-external-hard-drive-(4th-generation)I'm not saying it's a bad choice, but you're paying an awful lot for fancy design and interfaces you don't really need.

Matty12
05-07-2011, 09:24 AM
I think I know which one I might get, is this a good hard drive or not.:)

http://www.jigsaw24.com/product-details/x762ata/glyph-gt-050q-1.5tb-desktop-external-hard-drive

WWDJ
05-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Matt, how much storage do you need for music that you will be taking with you to a gig ? As Vectis said, it would be better to get a smaller more reliable drive, for instance portable 2.5" drives are built with higher shock tolerance or even perhaps and SSD portable drive.

Larry B Entertainment
05-07-2011, 10:58 AM

http://www.jigsaw24.com/product-details/x762ata/glyph-gt-050q-1.5tb-desktop-external-hard-drive

That one doesnt look very suitable for a tough live on the road. I think thats a bit overkill TBH. You dont need a spec that high for DJ use. You just need a good capacity drive that will fit yours needs, is durable and will survive the odd knock here and there.
Theres little point shelling out all that cash on a high end drive just for playing music off at gigs.

CRAZY K
05-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Hi there

Hope your all ok,

Following from my thread about itunes, I am after a new external hard drive.

I would like it to have: 7200 RPM, firewire 400 and 800, usb 2.0 and eSATA (does not matter if not) I was thinking about G-technology but I'm not sure what hard drive / make to go for if you could give us some advise please that would be fantastic.

Thank you,

Matt.;) :)

I have found Seagate HDs to be very reliable and robust on the road--Maplins im afraid:o

DJ Jules
05-07-2011, 08:06 PM

I'd say it's a good drive (Seagate inside), good build quality, etc - but I agree with the other guys, it is going to be overkill. The only other thing I noticed it has going for it is that it can be rack mounted into a 1U slot, but then that's probably negating the point of having an external drive!

I'm actually storing all my music on the road on my laptop's HDD (and carrying a spare external USB drive in case the laptop fails for any reason), I'm actually not 100% sure what the pro's/con's are of doing anything different?

Julian

Matty12
05-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I'd say it's a good drive (Seagate inside), good build quality, etc - but I agree with the other guys, it is going to be overkill. The only other thing I noticed it has going for it is that it can be rack mounted into a 1U slot, but then that's probably negating the point of having an external drive!

I'm actually storing all my music on the road on my laptop's HDD (and carrying a spare external USB drive in case the laptop fails for any reason), I'm actually not 100% sure what the pro's/con's are of doing anything different?

Julian

Thanks;)

what do you think about this one? I'm going to the store tomorrow to buy a hard drive.

WWDJ
05-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks;)

what do you think about this one? I'm going to the store tomorrow to buy a hard drive.

I think you are going to buy something that is way overkill regardless of the comments above :D