PDA

View Full Version : VDJ at midnight UPDATED!

Spirits High
15-07-2011, 01:07 AM
Ok, this is going to sound like a really strange question :daft:

I've noticed that a couple of times since switching to VDJ that towards the end of the night sometimes the track will skip/ stutter very briefly for about 1-2 seconds (probably less than this but feels that long when it's live).

I couldn't put my finger on what it could be but then realised whenever this stutter / skip occurs it's around midnight. It happened again tonight and I managed to look at the VDJ clock and the time was 00.00.03secs! So the only conclusion I can come up with is that something happens internally at midnight :confused:

Anyone else noticed this or am the only one? Also can the clock be disabled in the settings to see if this is the problem next time I'm out and it turns midnight.

I did speak with my local VDJ tech support and just got the :daft: :daft: look from them ;)

Booche
15-07-2011, 01:18 AM
Ok, this is going to sound like a really strange question :daft:

I've noticed that a couple of times since switching to VDJ that towards the end of the night sometimes the track will skip/ stutter very briefly for about 1-2 seconds (probably less than this but feels that long when it's live).

I couldn't put my finger on what it could be but then realised whenever this stutter / skip occurs it's around midnight. It happened again tonight and I managed to look at the VDJ clock and the time was 00.00.03secs! So the only conclusion I can come up with is that something happens internally at midnight :confused:

Anyone else noticed this or am the only one? Also can the clock be disabled in the settings to see if this is the problem next time I'm out and it turns midnight.

I did speak with my local VDJ tech support and just got the :daft: :daft: look from them ;)

Paul i have yet to experiance this issue and have searched for it and nothing crops up, have you checked your automatic updates as i mentioned to make sure that your lappy isn't trying to update at midnight, also check security software for the same issue.

I did run VDJ 7 Pro on home pc from 11:46 till 12:22 and nothing and that was also having the net on in the background so i can only point it towards a update on the lappy.

Pop it down and ill check everything as i know we didn't have alot of time last time.

EDIT: More than likly will be your security/anti virus software mate.

gharbud
15-07-2011, 07:33 AM
yes will be your virus/spyware programs updating at midnight, i had the same problem a year or so ago. But in my case vdj would just crash!! not good. Was AVG doing an update

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Do you have your clock updating on your laptop?

I meant syncing, not updating.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/sync-your-clock-with-internet-time-servers-from-the-vista-command-prompt/

Spirits High
15-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Do you have your clock updating on your laptop?

I meant syncing, not updating.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/sync-your-clock-with-internet-time-servers-from-the-vista-command-prompt/

That's a very good question Daz, I'll have a look into it ;)

DazzyD
15-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Hmm. This is a rather curious scenario.

I have to admit I've never come across this problem (but, then, the vast majority of my gigs don't go past midnight).

However, I'd have to agree that the obvious solution is that your laptop is running some sort of update at midnight (all my updates are set to run at 2am once a week on a Tuesday morning so this could be why I don't experience your problem).

Check your automatic updates and see if this is causing problems. Also, I believe Windows has a Task Scheduler which may throw some light on to the situation and give you an idea what program/service is causing the probkem.

Keep us informed!

Booche
16-07-2011, 12:03 AM
Paul i have tested my lappy and put auto updates on for windows and all security and guess what ....

It stuttered on VDJ lol

Guessing what i mentioned about windows updates and also your security will be the issue mate (i did mention disableing the security at a gig once for you) lol

Dont you wish i had done it now :P

Spirits High
16-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Paul i have tested my lappy and put auto updates on for windows and all security and guess what ....

It stuttered on VDJ lol

See I'm not going mad!

Guessing what i mentioned about windows updates and also your security will be the issue mate (i did mention disableing the security at a gig once for you) lol

Dont you wish i had done it now :P

That was on the Netbook not the main lappy so :p to you!

Booche
16-07-2011, 09:04 AM
That was on the Netbook not the main lappy so :p to you!

Fair enough forgot about that one lol :daft:

Spirits High
16-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Fair enough forgot about that one lol :daft:

Ok, then clever lad. To save me hours of hunting around for the settings to turn it off, where do I find it?

Booche
16-07-2011, 09:25 AM
click the Start button to view the Start Menu.
Then choose the Control Panel option.
Click the System and Security link from the Control Panel window.
The System and Security section of Control Panel opens up.
Here you can see the Windows Update link.
Click Turn automatic updates on or off ;)

Plus in there you can see what time the updates are set for etc :D

Spirits High
16-07-2011, 09:44 AM
click the Start button to view the Start Menu.
Then choose the Control Panel option.
Click the System and Security link from the Control Panel window.
The System and Security section of Control Panel opens up.
Here you can see the Windows Update link.
Click Turn automatic updates on or off ;)

Plus in there you can see what time the updates are set for etc :D

Cheers Dave, Done!

Now set to "Don't install" as there was nothing about check for updates. Incidentally it was set to update everyday at 0300hrs :confused:

I'll find out tonight if it still stutters as I've got a 1am finish :(

Booche
16-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Cheers Dave, Done!

Now set to "Don't install" as there was nothing about check for updates. Incidentally it was set to update everyday at 0300hrs :confused:

I'll find out tonight if it still stutters as I've got a 1am finish :(

Have you checked your security (can't remember which one you have)

There will be a setting in there aswell for updates.

Spirits High
16-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Have you checked your security (can't remember which one you have)

There will be a setting in there aswell for updates.

No security on it! Was McAfee but he's been uninstalled.

Booche
16-07-2011, 10:03 AM
No security on it! Was McAfee but he's been uninstalled.

Hopefully then you shouldn't get any stutter now you have turned updates off :)

Spirits High
16-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Hopefully then you shouldn't get any stutter now you have turned updates off :)

Expect a text at about 00.01 :D

Booche
16-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Expect a text at about 00.01 :D

Wont be in no fit state to text back :P lol

Spirits High
17-07-2011, 02:09 AM
Well, following on from Daves Tech support......it's not solved it :eek:

I was watching closely at midnight and sure enough as it turned midnight there was a stutter!

So far all updates are off incl VDJ there's no security updates and I've also turned off the clock sync bit :confused: :confused:

Any other ideas?

Booche
17-07-2011, 02:15 AM
New laptop :sofa: lol

Sorry im lost then mate unless there is a app running in the background that updates

OR

Sounds silly and i really doubt it will be BUT is it at only the one venue you get issues ?

Spirits High
17-07-2011, 02:20 AM
Sounds silly and I really doubt it will be BUT is it at only the one venue you get issues ?

Nope, tonight was a totally new venue so can't put it down to that.

I'll pop over in the week for some tech support aslong as there's not too many reptiles around!

Booche
17-07-2011, 02:23 AM
Nope, tonight was a totally new venue so can't put it down to that.

I'll pop over in the week for some tech support aslong as there's not too many reptiles around!

lol no worries mate im in all day all week lol (i know thats hard to believe) :P

As for reptiles can't promise lol

DeckstarDeluxe
17-07-2011, 04:39 AM
Windows update? sorry if you mentioned it already but in all fairness its twenty to six...

Jay
17-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Bit of a log shot but have you tried turning off the option "automatically synchronise time with windows server", or something like that? It could be that at 12 it is re-syncing and it's causing it to stutter, you can turn that off by clicking the clock in the bottom right hand corner.

Also there's no scheduled tasks set for 12pm is there? These can be checked by going to control panel, and then scheduled tasks.

Spirits High
17-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Bit of a log shot but have you tried turning off the option "automatically synchronise time with windows server", or something like that? It could be that at 12 it is re-syncing and it's causing it to stutter, you can turn that off by clicking the clock in the bottom right hand corner.

Pretty sure I've done that one but will double check

Also there's no scheduled tasks set for 12pm is there? These can be checked by going to control panel, and then scheduled tasks.

Again think I've covered this one but will check it out.

Thanks for the ideas guys as this one is a bit of a puzzler :confused:

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-07-2011, 10:36 AM

That was what I was talking about earlier in the thread.

Spirits High
17-07-2011, 10:42 AM

Hence my pretty sure that was done but would double check ;)

I know it's just got to be a case of switching something off .....but it's finding it :(

Jay
17-07-2011, 05:09 PM

Sorry my mistake I didnt see that post.

Just thinking to myself, you could use the "event viewer" to see if there is any clues as to what's Happening at 12pm, again, you'll find that in the control panel, in 'adminastritave tools'. One you've opened it to scroll down untill you get to 12pm and see if there is any clues there.

DazzyD
18-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Or, just start before midnight, start up Task Manager and go to the Processes tab. Click on the "CPU" tab so that the most memory intensive processes are at the top. When your computer does whatever it is that's causing the problem, it's associated process will jump up the CPU usage level and go to the top of the list. Then, just work out what the process is and you've got your culprit!!

Simples!!

Actually, instead of waiting until midnight, why not try and change your clock to something like "23:58" and then test it from there. Obviously, you'd have to recreate your working conditions (ie start up all the software you'd be running if you were working) but this means you could test it anytime of day and not have to wait til the 'witching hour'!

katman
20-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Im a bit late to the party on this one - just saw mention of the "stutter at Midnight" problem in another thread and out of interest searched for it.

If you are running Win7 is DEFRAG scheduled to happen at that time ?

Right click on a drive and select properties >> tools >> defrag and it will show you any scheduled defrag operations. Mine is set for Weekly on a Wednesday at 1am. That could certainly have an effect on performance.

DazzyD
20-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Im a bit late to the party on this one - just saw mention of the "stutter at Midnight" problem in another thread and out of interest searched for it.

If you are running Win7 is DEFRAG scheduled to happen at that time ?

Right click on a drive and select properties >> tools >> defrag and it will show you any scheduled defrag operations. Mine is set for Weekly on a Wednesday at 1am. That could certainly have an effect on performance.

This is something I didn't realise. Apparently, mine is set to defrag all drives at 1am on a Wednesday. The history shows that the drives haven't been defragged since October but that's probably due to the fact that my laptop isn't usually on at 1am on a Wednesday!!

Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't realise W7 did this off it's own accord.

Gary
15-01-2012, 11:59 AM
As a workaround, could you set your lappy time 3 or 4 hours back...so, for example, this post is about 1pm (13:00hrs), so right now, change your lappy time to 11am...

This way, the stutter will happen at 4am instead of 12midnight, which should then be outside the scope of the gig, and therefore not affect, you, or your audience. It doesnt fix the problem, just works around it.

Of course, if it still stutters at 12:00 even after the 3 or 4 hour shift, then maybe its more something that triggers hourly, but maybe it doesnt have any effect earlier on, only when the lappy is nice'n'toasty.

Spirits High
15-01-2012, 02:18 PM
That's been my way around it so far. The clock is set 2hrs behind.

Just need to remember to change it for 1AM finish :D

katman
15-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Could be a scheduled task created by something you have installed.

Right click on "Computer" on the start menu or desktop and select "Manage"

Look in System Tools >> Task Scheduler >> Task Scheduler Library and and see if you can find the likely culprit then either amend the schedule or disable the task.