PDA

View Full Version : Static Crackle

leelive
15-07-2011, 11:02 AM
I have started hearing a kind of static crackle when a new track loads into VDJ.
It is really obvious and not sure how to sort it. (Other than using a different laptop)
Even when I change the next track to something else I hear the same static crack as the new track loads underneath the one playing.
Really annoying.

I use a Toshiba Tecra A10 on 12cell (6hour) battery.
Does this sound like it is collecting static because it is not connected to the mains and consequently not earthed?

Anyone had similar issues?

Lee

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Must be those dodgy Wavs...:sj:

Is it just when they are loading or when they are playing too?

leelive
15-07-2011, 01:01 PM
just loading.
Will use my back-up laptop at the weekend to see if it happens on that one too.
Lee

Ecstatic Events
15-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Are the tracks stored locally on the machine, or externally on a HD?

leelive
15-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Externally. VDJ makes a temporary copy of each track before playing it.
Lee

Mark Wild
15-07-2011, 02:30 PM
What's the RAM on the lappy?

leelive
15-07-2011, 02:43 PM
What's the RAM on the lappy?

4GB. Though it is running XP so only 3GB is visible.
Lee

Mark Wild
15-07-2011, 02:49 PM
4GB. Though it is running XP so only 3GB is visible.
Lee

That's boat loads, are you using the newest version of VDJ 7.0.4? What sample rate are you using? Do you DJ direct from the lappy or use a controller via ASIO drivers?

leelive
15-07-2011, 03:19 PM
That's boat loads, are you using the newest version of VDJ 7.0.4? What sample rate are you using? Do you DJ direct from the lappy or use a controller via ASIO drivers?

Yes, 7.0.4.
Not sure what sample rate. In safe Mode says Quality Resampling.
I DJ directly from the Laptop.
The ASIO soundcard is Native Instruments Audio Kontrol1
Thanks for trying to solve this.
Lee

Mark Wild
15-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Yes, 7.0.4.
Not sure what sample rate. In safe Mode says Quality Resampling.
I DJ directly from the Laptop.
The ASIO soundcard is Native Instruments Audio Kontrol1
Thanks for trying to solve this.
Lee

I'm not familiar with the Kontrol1 but sounds to me like you need tweak your latency buffer size in either VDJ (Config - Performances - Latency to probably 256 or 512) or in the sound card itself.

Make sure your Kontrol 1 is the selected sound card in VDJ also (it probably is)

leelive
15-07-2011, 04:17 PM
I'm not familiar with the Kontrol1 but sounds to me like you need tweak your latency buffer size in either VDJ (Config - Performances - Latency to probably 256 or 512) or in the sound card itself.

Make sure your Kontrol 1 is the selected sound card in VDJ also (it probably is)

Thanks. Will try
Lee

Digital Jack
15-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Does it make a difference if you run the laptop on either battery only , or mains only (with the battery removed) ?

leelive
15-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Does it make a difference if you run the laptop on either battery only , or mains only (with the battery removed) ?

Just ordering a high quality Ground Loop Isolator (one that doesn't reduce the frequency range).... as soon as I get it I will plug the mains in and test it with it.
Many thanks
Lee

DazzyD
15-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Hi Lee

Ground Loop Isolator's (which I swear by especially when using an Acer laptop) remove the background buzzing or "humming" noise caused by electro-current interference. I've never encountered this problem as a crackling sound. I always associated crackling noises with mixer slider problems (ie dust in the slider) so your situation is somewhat baffling.

To me, this sounds like something simple such as a dodgy cable or slider. Could this be the cause of your problem?

Keep us informed.

Mark Wild
16-07-2011, 01:55 AM
Just ordering a high quality Ground Loop Isolator (one that doesn't reduce the frequency range).... as soon as I get it I will plug the mains in and test it with it.
Many thanks
Lee

I suppose this all depends on what you're hearing that you call "Static Crackle"

If it's the popping and crackle noise most DJ's refer to when they have VDJ related issues, a ground loop isolator won't solve your problems, no matter whether it's high quality or not, the crackle noise when you load a track is down to some sort of latency issue.

A Ground Loop Isolator breaks the electrical ground between audio components so there's no path for current to flow, therefore, if a current was flowing between your audio equipment it would cause a constant hum and wouldn't just appear when you're loading tracks.

leelive
16-07-2011, 02:15 PM
I suppose this all depends on what you're hearing that you call "Static Crackle"

If it's the popping and crackle noise most DJ's refer to when they have VDJ related issues, a ground loop isolator won't solve your problems, no matter whether it's high quality or not, the crackle noise when you load a track is down to some sort of latency issue.

A Ground Loop Isolator breaks the electrical ground between audio components so there's no path for current to flow, therefore, if a current was flowing between your audio equipment it would cause a constant hum and wouldn't just appear when you're loading tracks.

Hi Marks
Thank you for pointing that out.
Was just about to order one of these for near £200.
http://www.radialeng.com/di-twiniso.htm
Lee

DazzyD
16-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Hi Marks
Thank you for pointing that out.
Was just about to order one of these for near £200.
http://www.radialeng.com/di-twiniso.htm
Lee

:eek:

Just to point out, I paid less than a tenner off Amazon for 2 ground loop isolators and they've been great. I can't really see the need to fork out £200 for something to do the same job or am I missing something here? :confused:

Excalibur
16-07-2011, 04:04 PM

Just to point out, I paid less than a tenner off Amazon for 2 ground loop isolators and they've been great. I can't really see the need to fork out £200 for something to do the same job or am I missing something here? :confused:

If you are, then I am also.;) :confused:

leelive
16-07-2011, 04:09 PM

I used a cheap one for one night years ago.... hated the sound. Used battery instead of mains ever since. The ones I have been looking at now don't reduce the Hz frequency that much.

Lee

leelive
16-07-2011, 08:09 PM

Just checking that setting. Noticed I must have taken it off AUTO. It was on 2048 (46ms).

Hopefully that is it sorted.

Many thanks.

Lee

Mark Wild
17-07-2011, 12:35 AM
Just checking that setting. Noticed I must have taken it off AUTO. It was on 2048 (46ms).

Hopefully that is it sorted.

Many thanks.

Lee

No worries glad it's sorted, I've suffered 'the crackle' and it can be tedious solving it, you owe me a beer for saving you that £200 though I reckon :)

leelive
17-07-2011, 12:51 AM
No worries glad it's sorted, I've suffered 'the crackle' and it can be tedious solving it, you owe me a beer for saving you that £200 though I reckon :)

I managed to adjust the settings during the buffet tonight. I am sure that that has fixed it. Silly me must have accidentally changed that setting without realising it.

I definitely own you one high quality beer.

Thank you.
Lee

ps. This forum is just the best.

leelive
24-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Back to square one with this..... it came back last night.

Strangely I only noticed it late in the night.

I can only presume that static is building up as I DJ.

Lee

Mark Wild
24-07-2011, 11:33 AM

Lee

It's not static build up, you need to go into your sound card settings and adjust the latency there, not just set it to Auto in VDJ.

http://www.native-instruments.com/knowledge/questions/628/How+do+I+make+the+correct+soundcard+settings+on+a+ Windows+PC%3F

Dynamic Entertainment
24-07-2011, 11:14 PM

Lee

Try 192kbps MP3s instead of those crappy WAV's

:sofa:

:D Thats enough Trolling from me for the night :D

leelive
25-07-2011, 10:58 AM
It's not static build up, you need to go into your sound card settings and adjust the latency there, not just set it to Auto in VDJ.

http://www.native-instruments.com/knowledge/questions/628/How+do+I+make+the+correct+soundcard+settings+on+a+ Windows+PC%3F

Will try that at tonights gig. Thanks. Lee

Pink Elephant
25-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Does the external hard drive go to sleep between songs?

If it does then you can get a very strange noise come down the line out when it wakes up.

When this happened at one of our venues it was a ground loop on a certain laptop. If the power supply lead was taken out of the laptop it didn't do it. Both the laptop supply and the hard drive supply were plugged into the same extension lead.

A ground loop isolator worked in this instance and it was the normal type not the expensive version.

Hope that may help.

leelive
31-07-2011, 11:05 AM

Mark you are a genius. That has done the trick.

Lee

Excalibur
31-07-2011, 01:58 PM

I don't know if this has any relevance since I'm not running a Denon, but I have to watch that my laptop running VDJ doesn't sneak the latency down to 256 of its own accord. ;) We then get the Paul Robeson effect! :eek: :eek: Shoving it back to 1024 cures this. :D

Mark Wild
31-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Mark you are a genius. That has done the trick.

Lee

Happy days ! :D

Excalibur
31-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Mark you are a genius.

Happy days ! :D

Never forget that Genius and Lunacy are but two sides of the same coin. ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D