PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Probs

minty
13-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Hi Peeps,
I have a little techie question,while trying to move some music files from my usb hard drive to my laptop it just keeps coming up "NOT ENOUGH SPACE ON DRIVE" when i know full well that it's still showing at least 34GB free space.
any takers!!!!

Thanks in advance

Neil

alexperrins
13-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Mmm. What's the model of your USB hard drive? Is it new and have you transferred things to your laptop before?

minty
13-09-2006, 04:16 PM
It's a lacie 250GB and yes have transferred stuff before no probs

alexperrins
13-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Blimey! Must have cost a fair whack. I know it is a stupid question, but does it give you this message when transferring one very small file at a time?

minty
13-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Hi Alex,
No not really mate,you can pick up for about 80 squid at maplins.i have problems with large or small file's it's doing my head in :lightning

alexperrins
13-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Really? Might have to get me one! I'll ask around tonight and let you know 2moro unless somebody else has an answer, sorry I'm no more help.

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Minty, are you sure that your drive isn't partitioned?

You may have 2 partitions therefore not allowing you to transfer the whole amount onto one drive as it will show as two.

minty
13-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Hi Daz,yes there are 2 hard drives each one is 100Gb,but one has all the TECHIE stuff on it and the other for music."i think"

alexperrins
14-09-2006, 08:15 AM
No ideas from my techy mates Minty, very sorry! The only way you are going to find out (as is always the case with computers) is by trying another USB hard drive/different cable/different laptop. The only other thing I can think of is sometimes one of the USB ports can malfunction but I'm guessing you have tried it in a different port?
Best of luck, hope somebody can help.

minty
14-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks anyway,will have to try a few options :lightbulb

spin mobile disco
14-09-2006, 12:01 PM
If you try to copy a large amount of files it will say that there is not enough room and will not copy any files over (even though there is room for most of them) also a laptop partition requires hidden space for the swapfile and also hibernation mode and if these modes are enabled it will refuse to use the free space as another program has 'dibbs' on it already. Try copying files in small batches at first it may also be worth running a scandisk and a defrag incase of the possability of file errors causimng the fault. These wont take to long and may eliminate the problem.