PDA

View Full Version : Sponsored Weddings - would you get involved?

Jonny Boy
19-07-2011, 02:10 PM
There's an article in today's Current Bun about a couple from east of England who have reduced their £20k wedding to just £5k through sponsorship from various service providers.

In return, it seems, each supplier is listed within invitation envelopes, on an advertising board at the venue, or via little logos on napkins/stationery and by being mentioned in the speeches.
Apparantly, they've still got to find a DJ.... :zip:

Would you offer a discount and engage in this kind of advertising for a wedding?
If yes, what would you do?
Do you think it would have a positive or negative impact on how your service is perceived by guests/potential future clients?
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY does this mark a return for the old DJ-booth-with-your-disco-name-on? ;-)

Personally, the thought of it makes me cringe - but horses for courses.
Welcome your opinions!

Corabar Entertainment
19-07-2011, 02:17 PM
We've already got a thread on this very subject running...

... let me see if I can find it :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-07-2011, 02:23 PM
It's called scrounging IMO.

One of the most important days of your lives and people do this?

I can't think of anything worse.

Corabar Entertainment
19-07-2011, 02:28 PM
We've already got a thread on this very subject running...

... let me see if I can find it :)

With a quick look, I can't find the flippin' thing! no doubt someone else with a bit more time may find it. It was only a week or two ago from memory.

But, for the record, I agree with Darren. I wouldn't want to be associated with it at all.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-07-2011, 02:33 PM
With a quick look, I can't find the flippin' thing! no doubt someone else with a bit more time may find it. It was only a week or two ago from memory.

But, for the record, I agree with Darren. I wouldn't want to be associated with it at all.

Er, I don't think it was here Ang..

It may have been somewhere else. (Other forums are available) :D

Corabar Entertainment
19-07-2011, 02:51 PM
:blush: Oopps!

:lol:

wensleydale
19-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Like every other advertising opportunity I would consider it. However the op suggests that they have taken 75% off the cost of their wedding, so if the question is actually would I do it for 25%of my normal feethen the answer is no.
Probably not the right type of customer, but if that's the only way they can get married then fair play to them.

sweetie
19-07-2011, 03:09 PM
doing a good job is the best advertisement there is. Maybe the couple are down on their luck and didint want to miss out on their dream day and this is the best compromise? I wouldnt be too quick to judge them but not for me either.

ppentertainments
19-07-2011, 03:24 PM
doing a good job is the best advertisement there is. Maybe the couple are down on their luck and didint want to miss out on their dream day and this is the best compromise? I wouldnt be too quick to judge them but not for me either.
My opinion is doing a good job at ANY function or wedding will bring the same results.

funkymook
19-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Nope! What a horrible way to start your married life! And I bet all the company's that do get inundated with requests to provide free or discounted services.

DeckstarDeluxe
19-07-2011, 03:32 PM
As been said just an awful idea!

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-07-2011, 03:38 PM
"And now it's time to cut the wedding cake.....sponsored by 'Delicious Cakes Ltd"

"We will now toast the B&G with wine sponsored by Wendy's Winery"

:sj:

CRAZY K
19-07-2011, 03:41 PM
It's called scrounging IMO.

One of the most important days of your lives and people do this?

I can't think of anything worse.

Yep thats a good summary.

All the serious people with money wont bother---so we all have to up our game and appeal to them.

E bay mentality at its worse---but no doubt will appeal to a certain client--
the sort who are obsessed with cost.

Who was it who said of some people--they know the price of everything and the value of nothing --( or similar )

WWDJ
19-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Personally I wouldn't bother as I get enough work from referrals anyhow and I'm part time, however if I was full time I would actually consider it for a reasonable level of discount ....

It's a pretty tacky thing to do though ...

Corabar Entertainment
19-07-2011, 04:03 PM
I can sort of see why a B&G might do it (ie to get stuff that they couldn't otherwise afford) - although I wouldn't fancy it myself for the reasons stated above, and I am assuming that there will be some sort of limit on the amount, where and how the various service providers can advertise, and yes, it sounds like these companies are getting some exposure in return, BUT surely all that it likely to happen is that they will all be inundated with requests for freebies?

Surely they must all see that?

Surely any serious potential customers would think that they are a bit desperate and avoid them?

I really cannot see the value to the service providers in this..... nothing but hassle!

DJ Paulie
19-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Nope not for me, I'm out :)

Cowlinn
19-07-2011, 11:59 PM
I once "Sponsored" a primary school fete. i.e I didn't charge for my services, but my name was plastered everywhere.

I don't think anything came of it, I wont be doing it again.

Jonny Boy
20-07-2011, 08:55 AM
"And now it's time to cut the wedding cake.....sponsored by 'Delicious Cakes Ltd"

"We will now toast the B&G with wine sponsored by Wendy's Winery"

:sj:

LOL.
"And now: your wedding night.....sponsored by Dreams"

(Albeit, after 10 years with She Who Puts The Moany Into Matrimony, I might as well get sponsorship from B&Q.
Ba-dum-tssshh. Thangyouthangyou. I'm here all week.) :D

Vectis
20-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Yeah, I'd have no problem DJing a sponsored wedding....

... for my usual fee :beer1:

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I'd have no problem DJing a sponsored wedding....

... for my usual fee :beer1:

Seen as yove retired...that will be £0 then :D

mikeee
20-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Ask a plumber to sponsor your new bathroom :D I can just hear the remarks now - not printable on a family forum :D

BeerFunk
20-07-2011, 06:13 PM
I'm gonna go against the grain here and say it could work, depending on a number of things.

A discrete company logo on invitations is no big deal, but then if it was something like McDonalds, well maybe not!!

A big congratulations banner or placard with the sponsor's name in the corner, again, no big deal.

Free professional photos in return for them also being posted on the sponsor's promo website, or something along those lines, fine.

It all depends how it's done - if it's not too tacky, absolutely, go for it.

Jason
20-07-2011, 06:51 PM
This was being discussed on a Wedding forum a short while ago. The main consensus was "no".

From a supplier standpoint, you're not going to provide a free/heavily discounted service for very little exposure - you would want "sponsored by sids disco" highly visible (so their guests can try the same trick....)

Unless it will bring in quality work (ie full paying gigs), there are better ways of promotion.

mattydj50
25-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Ask a plumber to sponsor your new bathroom :D I can just hear the remarks now - not printable on a family forum :D

"Up your pipe" comes to mind.

A hotel here has run a "win your wedding" competition "in conjunction" with a local company. This company sees no wrong in plastering everything in their logo or name, even to the extent of having it on the invitations, table cards, menus, seat plan and their publicity leaflets on the tables.

I was asked to provide the disco "for free" in return for some publicity. I declined and was pleased I did when I discovered that the disco that did turn out got a single mention in the write up in the local paper.

Of course the prime sponsor got their name in the headline and a member of staff in every photograph (more of them than the bride and groom)!!

Andy Collins
25-07-2011, 10:17 PM
What benefit would come out of it?? none, at least not for us DJ's

If it ever took off, every DJ will be working for free - leaving what for paid work??