PDA

View Full Version : What's your security software?

STEVE HANLEY
21-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Didn't know where to put this. (Sorry mods)

I Use AVG The free one. Never had any problems. Even VDJ works well on the same HD.

I do however get a warning every now again when booting up a balloon popping up telling me no firewall is switched on and click here to fix the problem( Yeah right) I know it's a trojan which is only quarantined. Then seconds later AVG kicks in and warning is obliterated.

Just wondering what everyone else uses and do I need to upgrade my security?

Many Thanks Good people:beer1:

chrisj
21-07-2011, 05:56 PM
NOD32 and has been for years.

Daryll
21-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Avast , home edition , never had any trouble with it.

Daryll

Glenski
21-07-2011, 05:58 PM
On my playout system laptop i use Microsoft Security Essentials (free) and Malwarebytes (free) and the Win 7 firewall, and don't have any problems - as i also use VDJ Pro 7.

On my home studio system i use KasperSky Internet Security 2011 also with VDJ Pro 7 and don't have any problems.

Thank you

Glenn

WWDJ
21-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Microsoft Security Essentials works fine for me.

surround sounds
21-07-2011, 06:10 PM
KasperSky Internet Security 2012 for me

Jiggles
21-07-2011, 06:55 PM
In my PC days always Avast Free. Best there is. :)

Megamix
21-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Kaspersky for the PCs I look after - but have tried AVG and Avast without any real probs - MacAfee and Norton I've used but didn't like some of their aspects and issues they created.

djdave01
21-07-2011, 07:06 PM
i also use avast, free edition is fine. its on all our computers, never had a problem with it

Ecstatic Events
21-07-2011, 07:11 PM
McAfee is the softWARE I use on all machines.

funkymook
21-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Avast here for me too.

Totally Plucked
21-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Microsoft Security Essentials works fine for me.:)

Digital Jack
21-07-2011, 07:56 PM
AVG FREE on my usual workhorse of a PC , I don't use any anti virus or firewalls on my play out laptops as their ability to go online is disabled .
I just make sure that any files I add to my play out laptops is clean as a whistle before I transfer them.
I utilise my antivirus and online file security scanners to scan any potentially transferable files.

ian8limelight
21-07-2011, 08:01 PM
AVG here, following strong recommendations from colleagues.

yourdj
21-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Don't go on the internet :D

Or buy a mac.

I am selling my Samsung NC 10 as everytime it logs on it tells me "I am at risk, shock horror" "go and buy some expensive software and give us money on something we should have sorted decades ago"

It just annoys the hell out of me. that and updates.

STEVE HANLEY
21-07-2011, 09:02 PM
15 posts before someone mentioned a Mac. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree with you on updates though

Shaun
21-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Microsoft Security Essentials. Seems to work just fine for me.

Booche
21-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Don't go on the internet :D

Or buy a mac.

I am selling my Samsung NC 10 as everytime it logs on it tells me "I am at risk, shock horror" "go and buy some expensive software and give us money on something we should have sorted decades ago"

It just annoys the hell out of me. that and updates.

2 things Toby

Disable auotmatic updates and disable it from asking you

Sorted lol

Dynamic Entertainment
21-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Yes, Mac Virus's are few and far between...but they do exist... ;)

PS... i use AVG Free

Cowlinn
21-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Don't use one

discomobiledj
21-07-2011, 10:20 PM

That sounds like you have a virus!

Avast for me BTW

Twinspin
21-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Eset Nod 32 I use and its the best one ive used to date. I have used Avast and AVG in the past they were ok. But im with Chrisj on this.

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
21-07-2011, 11:34 PM
AVG Paid on my Main home machine with my accounts on.
Avg Free on all my Mobile Toughbooks i take to gigs
The paid Does seem to work faster/ better / more efficiently though!

cheers

Creature
21-07-2011, 11:50 PM
USe KlamAv - but then again im on Linux - but not picked up anything in the year since I dumped microsoft products :)

BeerFunk
22-07-2011, 06:46 AM
Another vote for NOD32, haven't been infected with anything for years now (and I do remember what an annoyance it used to be)

DJ Paulie
22-07-2011, 07:42 AM
I have the router firewall turned on, with AVG paid on the home lappy and nothing on my 00DJ as like Jack, it never goes online. I download my songs on the home lappy to a external HDD, check them and then transfer them over. I also run Spybot, Hijack This, CCleaner, Malwarebytes anti malware, registry mechanic and as a last resort Combofix.

Only ever had 4 problems in 5 years. In fact if you're worried about your security check this site, mine is in 'true stealth mode !' lol https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Larry B Entertainment
22-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Microsoft Sercurity Essentials on my main machine.
Clamwin portable on my DJ machine and scanned manually every so often. I know there are no viruses there because any hard drives plugged in are first scanned on my main machine. Dont like mixing DJ software with antivirus and firewalls.

Larry B Entertainment
22-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Interesting how few poeple use Norton which is supposed to be the market leader according to the pc mags. I ended up with more viruses when I used Norton 360 than with the free one I use now :eek: Plus is hogs pretty much every resource on the machine going.

STEVE HANLEY
22-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Interesting how few poeple use Norton which is supposed to be the market leader according to the pc mags. I ended up with more viruses when I used Norton 360 than with the free one I use now :eek: Plus is hogs pretty much every resource on the machine going.

Norton and Mcafee I was told to steer well clear of

Vectis
22-07-2011, 08:40 AM
I have the router firewall turned on ... I also run Spybot, Hijack This, CCleaner, Malwarebytes anti malware, registry mechanic and as a last resort Combofix.

Only ever had 4 problems in 5 years.

:eek:

4 macs here, the oldest now 5 years and not one problem even though one belongs to the Mrs who is a facebook freak and happily clicks on anything.

Router and per-machine firewall is all we use.

I do have a windoze machine for testing websites but 99.99% of the time it only ever connects to my own server; however it does :Censored: me off that every time I use the damn thing I have to endure the "8 billion security updates... your machine WILL reboot in 5 minutes" cycle :mad:

(Yes, I know I can turn it off but with around 50% of the updates plugging IE faults I can't afford to)

Marc J
22-07-2011, 08:56 AM
MBAM / Spybot S&D / ESET NOD32 / SpywareBlaster on WinXp

MBAM / Spybot S&D / MS Security Essentials on Win7

AVG Free killed my XP machine with an update (no virus involved). I recovered it, but 'll never use any AVG product again.

yourdj
22-07-2011, 09:37 AM

Avast for me BTW

Its just the windows system warning me that my computer is at risk as i have not bought their new super duper virus killing package.

Its not even on the internet and never has been. :)

I swear windows encourages most of the viruses as they probably make more money off selling the virus software. :p

Avast for me BTW

2 things Toby

Disable auotmatic updates and disable it from asking you

Sorted lol

Good point, but i still hate using it.
I must have opened it thrice since buying it. :D

discomobiledj
22-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Windows (Microsoft) doesn't sell antivirus. It's free!

hammy
22-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Macafee is a good bit of software its just a shame it eats up resources.
I do not use an anti virus and never had a trojan or virus. i do have trojan remover just in case which i run once a week

DazzyD
22-07-2011, 01:14 PM
AVG Free. Have used it for a good few years and only once has it let anything through (that flipping annoying Anti Virus 2010 scam!!).

Didn't know where to put this. (Sorry mods)

I Use AVG The free one. Never had any problems. Even VDJ works well on the same HD.

I do however get a warning every now again when booting up a balloon popping up telling me no firewall is switched on and click here to fix the problem( Yeah right) I know it's a trojan which is only quarantined. Then seconds later AVG kicks in and warning is obliterated.

Just wondering what everyone else uses and do I need to upgrade my security?

Many Thanks Good people:beer1:

This might not be a trojan though, Steve. It could be Windows Defender not recognising your AVG and thinking you have a problem. If it is, you can go to your Security Center (American spelling I think!) and turn off the warnings. That's what I did as knew AVG was happily protecting my PC in the background.

Norton and Mcafee I was told to steer well clear of

And, from my own experience, very good advice. It's a bit of a concern that, despite unistalling this software, it seems to keep processes running in the background. And this is an issue I just can't get round so won't touch them!

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-07-2011, 03:47 PM
AVG for me on all my machines.

DJ Paulie
22-07-2011, 09:53 PM
By the way in reply to the title of this thread 'What's your security softwear?' my choice is usually a kevlar waitcoat

:coat:

Excalibur
23-07-2011, 08:16 AM
By the way in reply to the title of this thread 'What's your security softwear?' my choice is usually a kevlar waitcoat

:coat:

Joke spoiled. Sorry. I got sick of seeing the typo.

In answer to the question, AVG for me too.

DJ Paulie
23-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Joke spoiled. Sorry. I got sick of seeing the typo.

In answer to the question, AVG for me too.

:lol: well that plus my spelling of waistcoat !

Twinspin
18-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security i use now. I changed last week from eset nod 32 and its even better.

yourdj
18-09-2011, 09:42 AM
15 posts before someone mentioned a Mac. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree with you on updates though

I was thinking that hence the post. :p

I actually got mac keeper the other day as the adverts were getting on my nerves and it came highly rated. It has a function that takes a picture of someone if you you get it nicked and locates it somehow for the police. how cool is that ;)

yourdj
18-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Windows (Microsoft) doesn't sell antivirus. It's free!

And so it should be. They have made so much money out of a problem they should have fixed in the first place.
To be frank they are taking the :Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored:

I am adamant that they have created most of the viruses themselves to get licensing money from anti virus software manufacturers.
Or engineered the early ones at least.

Corabar Entertainment
18-09-2011, 11:25 AM
And so it should be. They have made so much money out of a problem they should have fixed in the first place.
To be frank they are taking the :Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored:

I am adamant that they have created most of the viruses themselves to get licensing money from anti virus software manufacturers.
Or engineered the early ones at least.Toby, is today your day for making completely unsubstantiated, ridiculous accusations?

Try and put your brain in gear before you post!!! :Censored:

mattydinx
18-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security i use now. I changed last week from eset nod 32 and its even better.

We've recently become a Trend partner at work and we're rolling out Trend anti-virus to many of our clients. It certainly does the job and isn't too much of a resource hog - Gets the thumbs up in my book!

I use Microsoft Security Essentials on my home PC. The MacBook isn't currently protected.

Twinspin
18-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Eset Nod 32 is a good anti-virus however but its too in your face if you know what i mean. Always requiring updates for it.

Trend on the other hand is more laid back but it gets the all important updates and definitions. and seems to be powerful. Id say personally that Trend is the best anti-virus ive had to date.

ive had. AVG, Avast, Anti-Malware Bytes, Nod 32,

DeckBooks
18-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Microsoft Security Essentials - Free, low resource usage and doesn't slow down my pc

yourdj
18-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Try and put your brain in gear before you post!!! :Censored:

What brain :confused: