PDA

View Full Version : BPM not showing in Traktor - help!

DiscoMagic
29-07-2011, 09:15 AM
OK, so last night I was beat gridding a number of tracks in Traktor pro, making sure that the beat was in time with the BPM and metronome and mixing properly with other tunes etc etc. Then locked the beat grid panel to avoid any errors later on.

But how annoyed was I when I looked down the playlist in my Itunes folder only to find that the BPM was still showing as zero. I have tried placing it in current selection list, loading the song into a deck, as well analysing it, dectecting BPM, and perfoming consistancy checks through the right click mouse button. The BMP shows in the current selection folder, but still not the Itunes folder?

I tried quitting the Traktor and reloading, and also rebooting the Macbook - but all to no avail!!!

Most annoying becuase I often use the BPM to find a suitable track to play out next - not much good when it shows as zero!!!

Can anyone please help?!?!?

:D:D:D:D

WWDJ
29-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Is it just the one track or the Itunes folder that is affected?

I have one or two tracks that won't analyse but generally Traktor is flawless.

DiscoMagic
29-07-2011, 09:39 AM
well its actually only three tracks i haven't beat gridded the playlist - my annoyance of this took over!!!

i just wanted to see if I am doing something wrong

funkymook
29-07-2011, 09:44 AM
OK, so last night I was beat gridding a number of tracks in Traktor pro, making sure that the beat was in time with the BPM and metronome and mixing properly with other tunes etc etc. Then locked the beat grid panel to avoid any errors later on.

But how annoyed was I when I looked down the playlist in my Itunes folder only to find that the BPM was still showing as zero. I have tried placing it in current selection list, loading the song into a deck, as well analysing it, dectecting BPM, and perfoming consistancy checks through the right click mouse button. The BMP shows in the current selection folder, but still not the Itunes folder?

I tried quitting the Traktor and reloading, and also rebooting the Macbook - but all to no avail!!!

Most annoying becuase I often use the BPM to find a suitable track to play out next - not much good when it shows as zero!!!

Can anyone please help?!?!?

:D:D:D:D

If I'm not mistaken (so could be totally wrong) I thought that the iTunes folder in Traktor shows you your actual iTunes library, which Traktor does not change (basically they're read only)

But once the songs are put into a Traktor folder you can amend/update as you see fit as it's just pointing to the original iTunes file rather than updating it.

Does that make sense?

WWDJ
29-07-2011, 09:55 AM
If I'm not mistaken (so could be totally wrong) I thought that the iTunes folder in Traktor shows you your actual iTunes library, which Traktor does not change (basically they're read only)

But once the songs are put into a Traktor folder you can amend/update as you see fit as it's just pointing to the original iTunes file rather than updating it.

Does that make sense?

Haven't just tried it, this is exact;y how it works.

I always work on files in Track Collection.

DiscoMagic
29-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Yeah which is fine, if you work like that, but say for example I am working through a gig, I have my set list in the collection, and then suddenly think I need something else outside mytrack list.

I need to be able to through my Itune folders in Traktor and see the best songs that I use that would beatmatch in the current song playing, I may be being pedantic, but how come Traktor can do this for some songs and not for others??? there must be a setting somewhere???

funkymook
29-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Yeah which is fine, if you work like that, but say for example I am working through a gig, I have my set list in the collection, and then suddenly think I need something else outside mytrack list.

I need to be able to through my Itune folders in Traktor and see the best songs that I use that would beatmatch in the current song playing, I may be being pedantic, but how come Traktor can do this for some songs and not for others??? there must be a setting somewhere???

Basically I don't think you can update iTunes files via Traktor, so anything you do whilst in your iTunes folder won't be saved.

If you go to Preferences, File management, Music Folders - and add your iTunes library folder, then every time you start Traktor all your iTune songs will show in Track Collection so there wouldn't be any need to go into your iTunes folder anyway.

WWDJ
29-07-2011, 12:27 PM

I think your workflow must be different to mine.

Traktor imports my entire Music folder, which includes downloads from Itunes and Amazon and lots of other mp3s that I have put into Genre folders. Basically all my music.

Then my 'setlist' I put into a playlist or the Preparation area.

Why do you keep music outside of Traktor ?

DiscoMagic
29-07-2011, 12:42 PM
MMM OK, After using Traktor pro for a year, I think that I might still be a little amaturish... but thats what I joined up here for - to learn from you guys!!! In short perhaps I am not doing things in the best way possible???

So what I do is to create music lists / playlists / set lists in Itunes, then I load traktor where I can see these lists in the Itunes folder.

I keep my tunes in the Itunes folder on my macbook

I work by adding only the prepared list to the collection, but like I said before what if want to search for a tune outside my prepared list - I will want to know the BPM simply by glancing through the various playlists in the Itunes folder rather than finding a song and then checking the BPM by loading it into a deck each time???

WWDJ
29-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Here's how I do it .... don't use ITunes ... lesson end! :D

Seriously, there is only one feature in ITunes that is useful for mobile dj and that is the genius feature. Great for inspiration for a playlist, otherwise I find Itunes a waste of time (it has merits elsewhere, but not for DJ's)

Keep all your music in Traktor so point it at your overall music folder(s).

Then create a playlist for your event and drag it to the Favourite Playlists at the top of the search grid (if not shown you can enable them in preferences)

This makes it more easy to drag songs into the playlist that if it is down in the folder list on the left hand side.

If you need to find a track on the night, ie. a bit of inspiration, I normally browse by Track Collection -> Genre e.g. Recent Dance, and then sort by BPM to see what will mix in well.

simonp
29-07-2011, 04:14 PM
The way to do it as you would like is to open up itunes in traktor

highlight the desired playlist in lefthand column under the itunes heading (when loaded) - import all to traktor - then import playlist to traktor.

minimise itunes in traktor and scroll through your traktor playlists - Your one from itunes should now be there. You can now beatgrid and change the id3 tags etc, which you cannot do from the itunes file inside the traktor software.