PDA

View Full Version : The Box - CL 115 Review

yourdj
30-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Just bought one of these and they are bloody awesome (for the price) :D

same as LD dave but bigger cones and allot cheaper and more sound effective!!

http://www.thomann.de/partner_redirect.html?partner_id=13334&page=gb/the_box_cl_115_sub.htm

http://a2.images6.thomann.de/pics/bdb/109892/277033_800.jpg

http://images.thomann.de/pics/bdb/109892/277058_800.jpg

Very happy for the money i paid

Sapphire Disco
30-07-2011, 10:55 PM
I'm wondering if there was a way to bridge the in built amps on these ?

katman
30-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Did you mean bypass to use as a passive sub ?

I dont see there is anything that could be bridged. two sets of inputs for left and right which are summed together before being sent as a mono sub bass signal to a single power amp matched to the speaker.

chrisj
31-07-2011, 12:03 AM
They do have good specs but at 220w rms not very powerful.

yourdj
31-07-2011, 01:42 AM
They do have good specs but at 220w rms not very powerful.

I thought that but it is really very good. especially as its the first outing and a sub apparently needs to be "broken in"

I did a marquee tonight and I did not have to even use the LD dave once as really kicked out the bass. The size is almost the same and some of the fittings are different but its pretty much a better spec'd speaker system and most definitely worth £300. :)

I will do a little video comparison soon.

I must say that I am using RCF passive speakers with them. i doubt the thomann top end supplied ones with this system would be much cop tbh.

Mark Wild
31-07-2011, 09:48 AM
For a successful high end wedding DJ you're a bit of a tight wad to be penny pinching with your 'LD Dave' and 'The Box' subs ! But as long as it's bloody awesome (for the price) I suppose.

yourdj
31-07-2011, 10:20 AM
For a successful high end wedding DJ you're a bit of a tight wad to be penny pinching with your 'LD Dave' and 'The Box' subs ! But as long as it's bloody awesome (for the price) I suppose.

Probably :D i know what you mean.

I bought an HK audio one and it broke so I got the LD as a joke and was blown away by the efficiency. i now have this and its even better.
its suffices for a marquee on its own which is very good. I have the 2 and a ten, which all fit on the case in the picture and link up.

They can also be broken up in to separates for other rooms as well.

Mark Wild
31-07-2011, 10:36 AM
What's the weight of the the Thomann Box one?

Excalibur
31-07-2011, 10:48 AM

Steady on there, my profligate friend. :Naughty: Last week I worked with a band using a passive LD subs/tops rig, all driven by one massive
W-Audio amp. It was indeed an awesome sound.

The only requirement is "Fit for purpose". ;)

Charlie Brown
31-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Do they do an active version?

funkymook
31-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Do they do an active version?

You didn't click the link in the first post did you? Take a couple of seconds to do that and you'll have your answer (or you could even use your eyes and look at the pictures!)

Excalibur
31-07-2011, 11:53 AM
You didn't click the link in the first post did you? Take a couple of seconds to do that and you'll have your answer (or you could even use your eyes and look at the pictures!)

Point of order. Charlie could have been referring to my post regarding the passive rig I saw. Only could, mind. ;) :D :D

Charlie, it might have helped if you'd put a link in to which one you were asking about.

funkymook
31-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Point of order. Charlie could have been referring to my post regarding the passive rig I saw. Only could, mind. ;) :D :D

Charlie, it might have helped if you'd put a link in to which one you were asking about.

Possibly - but doesn't go any way to explain why Charlie couldn't google that particular query himself either (or even look at the picture of Toby's LD Dave Sub!).

yourdj
31-07-2011, 12:45 PM
or even look at the picture of Toby's LD Dave Sub!).

I was thinking that :p It might be a confusion as it has passive satellite outs?

Which I think is an excellent back up option if you want a sub as you can carry a pair of small passives should your main speakers break or you need some extra sound. I am going to get a couple more RCF's and run four tops and two subs for larger events etc. Much more efficient too than two speakers especially in quad on each end of the dance floor (in safe places of course). Pain to cable however.

Excalibur
31-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Possibly - but doesn't go any way to explain why Charlie couldn't google that particular query himself either (or even look at the picture of Toby's LD Dave Sub!).

But I say again, looking at Toby's sub would not have increased his knowledge greatly if he were in fact asking if you could get the Passive rig, which I referred to, in Active form. See where the confusion arises?

funkymook
31-07-2011, 04:11 PM
But I say again, looking at Toby's sub would not have increased his knowledge greatly if he were in fact asking if you could get the Passive rig, which I referred to, in Active form. See where the confusion arises?

Again very true - so can you? :D

Excalibur
31-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Again very true - so can you? :D

Dunno, can't be arsed to Google it. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

OK, joke over. The Stinger series appear to be the active version of what I saw/heard. I can't actually find any passive cabs which match what I saw, but I actually thought they were badged Stinger. :confused:

funkymook
31-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Dunno, can't be arsed to Google it. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

OK, joke over. The Stinger series appear to be the active version of what I saw/heard. I can't actually find any passive cabs which match what I saw, but I actually thought they were badged Stinger. :confused:

And what sort of weight are they?

:D

Excalibur
31-07-2011, 04:45 PM
And what sort of weight are they?

Well since you ask, the 15" active sub is 39Kg. :p

Charlie Brown
31-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Peter, you're my guardian angel. You confused me with your passive thoughts and I saw the speakon output.

I also thought it was too cheap for a 'powerful' active sub.

Thanks guys.

funkymook
31-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Peter, you're my guardian angel. You confused me with your passive thoughts and I saw the speakon output.

Thanks guys.

Peter you've been totally vindicated and I obviously missed the meaning behind Charlie's original question :D

Excalibur
31-07-2011, 05:17 PM

Thanks guys.

And you Charlie, are undoubtedly a class one, grade A :muppet:

Toby: Box/Dave: Active with two outputs for passive satellite tops. ( Hence the speakon OUTS. )

Me: Subs/Tops: Passive, all passive.

Steve, don't let him have anything stronger than Shandy. :D

Peter you've been totally vindicated and I obviously missed the meaning behind Charlie's original question :D

Err, I think you've got that wrong as well. I think you were right all along.:daft: