PDA

View Full Version : Brands that are not that well known?

DJForrest
04-08-2011, 05:17 PM
When i started DJing professionally two years ago i started with peices of equipment i had collected from different shops/brands. As the business has took off, i have gradually upgraded everything, but the amp.

I started with a 'Prosound 1000' Amplifier from Maplin, and still use it to the day. Its super reliable, never over-heated and cut out on me and is an overall fantastic amplifier...

I guess what i am trying to ask is... Has anybody else brought equipment which the brand is not as' popular as the rest' and it has surprised you how well it has worked? Or is it just luck that i have in this case?

Thanks.

DJ Frankie
04-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Yes I ran a Synergy Cdj 2010 for years also without anti shock built in, and it was a proper work horse for me when I started out.

supersound
04-08-2011, 06:15 PM
I have some studiomaster Vx series speakers ans a
peavey mixeramp....bulletproof

Paul

BeerFunk
04-08-2011, 07:38 PM
How long till the first Class D mention :D (Oops, I've just done it..)

My first CD decks were KAM KCDs, and although they weren't exactly cheap, I got a good couple of years out of them which I was fairly pleased with really.

When I first bought Acme Dynamos I was amazed at how bright and vivid they were, for about £100 a unit, at that time - that was exceptional value.

peavey mixeramp....bulletproofYou would expect a decent return from a Peavey product though? :confused:

DazzyD
04-08-2011, 09:44 PM
My first system (and still going strong) combined a modified Soundlab G742 power-mixer (good for karaoke as well as discos due to the onboard fx) and a pair of Prolight Concepts E-115 speakers (and cant find these anywhere online but it looks like Prolight are only pushing W Audio speakers now. They're a full-range speaker in a moulded plastic case. Heavy but they sound good!

The only downside to this kit is it's all flipping heavy!!

Andy Goodtimes
04-08-2011, 10:18 PM
I had a Prosound 1000 from Maplin too, its a Carlsbrough really and although not the sweetest amp its certainly good value and reliable.

Not always the case but with this kind of kit an unknown brand is often something else with a different badge on it.

Charlie Brown
05-08-2011, 08:29 AM
Another thumbs up for the ProSound amp. It's what I used when I was a passive kinda guy. ;)

Uber reliable and rather powerful!

discoworld
05-08-2011, 09:00 AM
The Pro Sound amplifier was bought through Carlsbro - when Carlsbro where going down the pan and moved everything to China. It's like everything - 10 people will get one that works fine and then 1 will be a pain in the neck. This applies to all products and all brands.

The only thing that bugs me about those amplifiers is customers come here and say Maplins are doing a 1000w amplifier for £xxx can you beat it. Well the answer is yes we can as the amplifier is actually 250w per channel at 4 Ohms and 1000w refers to the peak rating which is generally double the RMS rating.

For the money though it's a good value product, but whatever Maplins sell there are retailers doing similar spec. products for less money.

By the way That Sound Lab powered mixer G742 was brilliant - we sold loads of them and had no problems at all... rare to say that about Sound Lab, but it was a cracking product for sure.

DJ Jules
05-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Another thumbs up for a Prosound Amp (though mine is the later non-Carlsbro 1600w version). They're not cheap now either - £249 a go for what is basically a 400w/chan RMS amp into 8ohms.

I've recently seen some very good products from QTX (DJ-25S LED scans) - and some not so good ones (DOuble Derby), and the same goes for Lanta as well. Two brands I would have placed firmly in the budget bin a year ago. Gemini are also producing some reasonable quality kit these days (though not speakers).

Julian

Glenski
05-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Back in my day i had a HW International Stereo DJ Mixer, which done me proud fo rmany years :) ... eventually sold it of to my friend, of which i think he still has it in his garage :)

http://www.geniediscs.com/equipment/hwmixer.jpg

I upgraded to a Numark CDN-88 (which i still use) and a Numark PPD9000 Mixer (now sold).

Also my first dual cd player system was a Numark CDN-22 which done the job :)

I also bought my first set of disco lights from Maplin, which were from the Geni brand, of which i still have two of them, fully working :) one is a moon-flower effect and the other a blaze effect :) (as backup).

I know there is a lot of imitation gear on the market from abraod etc and recently i have gone down that road for a 2nd system from Superlux, both passive and active setups.

Thank you

Glenn

Kernow
05-08-2011, 08:36 PM
By the way That Sound Lab powered mixer G742 was brilliant - we sold loads of them and had no problems at all... rare to say that about Sound Lab, but it was a cracking product for sure.

After 10 years I'm still running 4 x Soundlab Colourscans. 250 watt Halogen, independent colour and gobo wheels and fully DMX controllable. Never had a problem.

djkneehigh
13-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Well here is some classic brand old but still running strong H&H Pro series 1 & 2 luckily they are a fixed install as they are heavy things. Great sound and quite bullet proof also running a BMA500 amp never heard of this brand before but even though shes on her last legs she still slaves away week in week out also running a baker300 not too keen but ok as a back up plus a lyons forge 400 amp too not bad but not great either.

bmdj
14-07-2013, 09:40 AM
BK electronics - they have been going years and used to advertise in the back of Everyday Electronics, in a time when DJs made there own 4 channel light controllers. They make amps and amp modules that are designed and made in the UK. I ve had a few amps and still have one in a wooden case made from their amp modules. They are still going strong http://www.bkelec.com/

Sapphire Disco
14-07-2013, 11:41 AM
peavey mixeramp....bulletproof

Paul

Totally agree I have a pair of VX15 which I use on their own when I don't want to use subs they are very good.

bmdj
14-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Another brand is Matamp who made and still make amplifiers in gods own county, in Huddersfield. The Q1000 and other Q range were bullet proof FET 19” amps and each were hand built. They are still going but now make quality high end guitar amps http://www.matamp.co.uk/
I have to say that some of the brands mentioned are, I would say, rather well known.