PDA

View Full Version : Good software for warmup with decent crossfade?

WWDJ
10-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Often the warm up bit to my nights is in the order of 2 - 2.5 hours. I normally start at 7pm in the local wmc but the party doesn't get going until post buffet 930.

I am looking for some good software that can use early doors either on my Mac OSX or on my iPad

I like to play a mixture of tracks and be able to chop and change easily the playlist according to the feel of the night as sometimes I don't get an idea of what they want until I can see who is there.

I like to just let the computer crossfade between the tracks rather than leave gaps and my biggest problem is that the crossfade is often rubbish. They often cut off the sharp endings on some tracks and on others there will be gaps because they often work on timing rather than the musical content. This is certainly what Traktor does and iTunes pretty much the same

The only decent software I have trialed is Mixmeister which I have played with but this is expensive, infrequently updated and now owned by numark :eek: And all I can see they have done is bought out IDJ for the iPad which works, but is very clunky if you want to chop and change tracks.

So, what else is out there for the iPad or OSX?

DiscoMagic
10-08-2011, 11:32 PM
traktor pro works for me on the cruise mode

WWDJ
10-08-2011, 11:48 PM
traktor pro works for me on the cruise mode

It 'works' but don't you find it cuts off song ends, leaves gaps, etc?? ... Or have you planned fade out points on your tracks?

flatliners
10-08-2011, 11:56 PM
Has to be sam party dj easy to use and if the track in the play list run out it picks on at random from the hd

DJ_Wulfman
11-08-2011, 12:02 AM
OTSAV DJ does it's job very well in this department plus there is a brand new version out in September so if you buy the current version now you get the upgrade free. I use it in conjunction with a Denon HC4500 controller. An excellent program that I personally prefer over over VDJ and Traktor.

The two main downsides for me are having to convert all your MP3 files to OTS format (it's a nightmare at first but worth it in the long run) and the lack of support for many mainstream midi-controllers. For instance, OTS Labs claim to support the Behringer BCD3000 but only the bare basic functions actually work with OTSAV.

OTSAV also supports karaoke and Video.

WWDJ
11-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Has to be sam party dj easy to use and if the track in the play list run out it picks on at random from the hd

OTSAV DJ does it's job very well in this department plus there is a brand new version out in September

OTSAV also supports karaoke and Video.

sorry guys both are windows only :confused:

Digital Jack
11-08-2011, 01:53 AM
Mac = 0 , PC = 1 .:p

discomobiledj
11-08-2011, 05:59 AM
Media Monkey is great.

Excalibur
11-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Media Monkey is great.

Seconded. I have used it for this purpose before.

welby
11-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Virtual DJ - on auto-mix mode and you can tailor the crossfades to suit - works on Mac and PC - you can purchase the LE version and upgrade to the pro version at any time.

Ecstatic Events
11-08-2011, 09:41 AM
+ 1 for media monkey. The fading isn't outstanding, but it definitely warrants a look.

DJ_Wulfman
11-08-2011, 02:17 PM
sorry guys both are windows only :confused:

:sorry: I completely missed the bit about Mac and Ipad :daft:

WWDJ
11-08-2011, 02:41 PM
+ 1 for media monkey. The fading isn't outstanding, but it definitely warrants a look.

Is there a Mac version?

discomobiledj
11-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Yes. Works on both.

www.mediamonkey.com

WWDJ
11-08-2011, 05:50 PM
:confused: from MM site ....

MediaMonkey runs on Windows platforms only. It is supported on all 32/64 bit versions of Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP, but is also known to work on Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, and WINE (Linux). Simply double-click the downloaded file to install it.

Ecstatic Events
11-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Aaaah - Missed the mac part too - I dont know if the software is compatible? Sorry.

mattred
12-08-2011, 12:32 PM
how about Djay

http://www.algoriddim.com/djay-mac

runs on mac, works off your itunes library and you can even control it from your iphone :-)