PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal?

Ricesnaps
17-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Just (out of some crazy fascination) decided I would see how bright my 60mw laser was pointing out of the bedroom window at night.

It would seem to reach the road the other side of the Orwell bridge - about 3 miles away.

How far would you expect a laser of that size to go in the dark and is it legal to point it outside? Just waiting for the blue's and two's outside....

Obviously I didn't point it up in the air to play with the passing planes!

Sapphire Disco
17-09-2006, 08:14 PM
I doubt it's legal , I remember there was a night club in Reading near where I live had a laser on their roof, they were made to take it down.

alexperrins
17-09-2006, 08:19 PM
I think you need a licence for any lasers outside. don't know if there is a minimum wattage for this rule though.

Have a disco
18-09-2006, 02:00 AM
Licence require for any outside performace with laser equipment over 40mw I believe due to too many airtraffic complaints years ago it got made law, believe has a hefty fine if not complied with £10,000 minimum I think will check it out

Keri
18-09-2006, 02:10 AM
But if your just playing and not having a huge party etc etc i doubt if anyone gives a S***...........

Im sure the police and so on have better things to be doing then going to see why Mr Rice is pointing his laser outside even if anyone did complain which i would find highly unlikly unless you were causing "trouble" with drink, drugs and public sex, lasers and loud music in your residential "rave" area.

abyssdjhire
18-09-2006, 02:12 AM
there is no license required for ANY type of show laser in the UK.

BeerFunk
18-09-2006, 07:05 AM
Doesn't matter if it's technically illegal or not, if the police find a good reason as to why you shouldn't do it, they'll tell you to stop.

Thames Valley Discos
18-09-2006, 07:12 AM
But if your just playing and not having a huge party etc etc i doubt if anyone gives a S***...........

Im sure the police and so on have better things to be doing then going to see why Mr Rice is pointing his laser outside even if anyone did complain which i would find highly unlikly unless you were causing "trouble" with drink, drugs and public sex, lasers and loud music in your residential "rave" area.

YOU appear to have a problem with the police!

Corabar Steve
18-09-2006, 11:11 AM
May depend on if you're on a flightpath though, it is illegal to poit any type of laser (including pointers) at aircraft.

Keri
18-09-2006, 11:32 AM
YOU appear to have a problem with the police!

No no problem with the police, except there that tied up with pointless crap and paper work rather than been on the "streets" fighting the crime that really matters.

dj andy allwood
18-09-2006, 11:39 AM
:) whoo ooo its the sound of the police whoo ooo

Have a disco
18-09-2006, 12:54 PM
check this out there are laws in regards to lasers

www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP736.PDF

lightspeed
18-09-2006, 04:34 PM
The lasers in the sky thing sort of applies to the thing we had to do. Hired one of those sky moon things, the big outdoor moonflowers for a big new year gig. We had to get permission from the civil aviation authority to use it!

- Chris

Have a disco
18-09-2006, 06:58 PM
same thing applies to Lasers big time especially within flightpaths or stack systems around airports we have a stack around haverhill and had to notify CAA before the event and you can be fined by them if not notified

kilmeedyman
18-09-2006, 07:23 PM
And in the example given, Reading is directly under the flightpath in and out of Heathrow.

Corabar Steve
18-09-2006, 07:52 PM
And in the example given, Reading is directly under the flightpath in and out of Heathrow.
One of many