PDA

View Full Version : QSC K12 Mains Leads

Roger T
01-09-2011, 07:16 AM
My two new QSC K12 speakers arrived yesterday and I'm very pleased with them. Great sound, lots of connectivity options on the rear, they look smart and are much lighter than my passive speakers.

The only thing that lets them down is the lack of a UK mains adapter lead, there are two foreign two pin leads supplied. This is annoying as the speaker has a locking IEC connecter on it and the two leads have locking ends on them. I rang the shop that I bought them from and they say a lot of kit comes like this and they'll send me two adapters.

Is the UK market not big enough for QSC to supply locking mains leads with a UK plug? I emailed QSC in the US and have had a reply to say they are looking into this but adapters maybe the answer. I'm sure I'm not the first person to bring this to their attention. As we all know these aren't cheap speakers and I would expect them to be supplied correctly for the country they're sold in.

leelive
01-09-2011, 07:21 AM
You are right. They ought to consider the UK market.
I bought a load of adapters to convert the plug sockets to uk but hated them as very bulky.

I ended up buying a load of these from Amazon:
LINDY Mains Power Lead with Locking IEC Connector UK 3 Pin Plug

All the best
Lee

Excalibur
01-09-2011, 07:37 AM
On seeing any such connectors, my PAT tester's immediate reaction is to reach for the wire cutters, and snip it off, to be replaced with a 13a UK plug.

Roger T
01-09-2011, 07:56 AM
I'm going to buy two 15m IEC cables anyway to go with the 15m XLRs for the speakers.

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-09-2011, 09:00 AM
I agree, it is annoying, but apparently as it is a business to business transaction, they don't have to supply a UK plug.

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
01-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Beware those adaptors are NOT safe!
50% have no fuses in and Most can be wiggled about
so the conected appliance still works but the Earth is DISCONNECTED
Frankly im appalled that a company such as QSC supply such a crap lead.
PS if your leads are long enough cut the (UNFUSED) plugs off and replace with MK TOUGHPLUGS in a Garish colour ( I like RED)

Dave

Jiggles
01-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Dont see why there is such a complaint here??? Lop off the crappy EU connector and fire on a nice 13A plug!

katman
01-09-2011, 05:33 PM
replace with MK TOUGHPLUGS in a Garish colour ( I like RED)

Dave

I always use MK Safetyplugs. In over 20 years I only ever broke two, both on the same lead and at the same venue. It was in a barn ar Worstead where I had to set up at one side of the building but the power socket was at the other side. I had a really heavy extension lead, 4mm cable and I threw it over a beam to get it across the room. No problem setting up but packing away and pulling the cable back I loooked at the cable and plug falling from around 20 feet and decided that if I tried to catch it, it was going to hurt so just stood back and let it hit the concrete !!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Dont see why there is such a complaint here??? Lop off the crappy EU connector and fire on a nice 13A plug!

I guess the complaint would be that if you are spending £1500 on a pair of speakers, then you'd expect to get a UK plug with them!

Alex - Cream Ents
02-09-2011, 07:57 PM
I found the same with my K12s (which I'm very happy with!). Just doing a venue install at the moment and putting plugs on all of the Martin lighting that comes with 3 IEC leads in the box. One with a US plug, one with an EU plug and one with tails for me to fit a UK plug to...joy.

katman
02-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Just doing a venue install at the moment and putting plugs on all of the Martin lighting that comes with 3 IEC leads in the box. One with a US plug, one with an EU plug and one with tails for me to fit a UK plug to...joy.

Surely its more time and cost effective to just get ready moulded leads from CPC. You can then sell the others on eBay or save them for a job where you need to hard wire into something.

Alex - Cream Ents
02-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Under a minute to wire a 13a plug, cheap when bought from electrical wholesalers.