PDA

View Full Version : connecting my hercules rmx to active speaker system

sweetie
08-09-2011, 11:16 AM
I will be doing a house party at the weekend and and want to bring just my hercules rmx and connect to my qsc k12s and leave my mixer behind. As I need to use my ground loop isolator I have ordered this cable (http://www.djbox.ie/sound/cables-and-connectors/male-phono-to-3-pin-male-xlr-cable.html) to connect from my hercules rmx into my rcf bassbin and then xlr out to my k12s. Will I lose any sound quality by connecting this way? I had considered 1/4" jack out of the hercules to xlr into the rcf 902 but I wouldn't be able to include the ground loop isolator. Thanks in advance!

Excalibur
08-09-2011, 11:45 AM
According to the first page of the manual, what you will notice is a volume drop. The RCA output is way lower than the Jacks.

Bung two of these kiddies
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg01766/adaptor-phono-to-6-35mm-jack-gold/dp/AV15314
or these if they're balanced
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg01711/adaptor-phono-to-6-35mm-jack-metal/dp/AV15259
into the jack sockets,and you should be ready to rock and roll.

sweetie
08-09-2011, 11:57 AM
According to the first page of the manual, what you will notice is a volume drop. The RCA output is way lower than the Jacks.

Bung two of these kiddies
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg01766/adaptor-phono-to-6-35mm-jack-gold/dp/AV15314
or these if they're balanced
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg01711/adaptor-phono-to-6-35mm-jack-metal/dp/AV15259
into the jack sockets,and you should be ready to rock and roll.

thanks Peter, why is there a difference between gold and metal?

Excalibur
08-09-2011, 12:05 PM
thanks Peter, why is there a difference between gold and metal?

Gold doesn't oxidise (rust), and therefore will transmit a clean signal, with no crackles for far longer. Allegedly.

The difference between the two plug parts is one is Tip Sleeve, and the other is
Tip Ring Sleeve. If I read the manual right, the first ones are fine.

sweetie
08-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Gold doesn't oxidise (rust), and therefore will transmit a clean signal, with no crackles for far longer. Allegedly.

The difference between the two plug parts is one is Tip Sleeve, and the other is
Tip Ring Sleeve. If I read the manual right, the first ones are fine.

yeah, the manual says that the outputs are unbalanced. thanks a mill

katman
08-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Dont use the TRS ones, they are for connecting a mono RCA signal to BOTH channels of a Stereo Jack. If you use that on a balanced Jack you will not get any sound at all as the inphase and out of phase connections will be shorted together.

The TS ones will be fine as it will connect R & S together on a Balanced Jack and convert it to unbalanced ready for your ground loop isolator.

If however the Jack outputs on your hercules are BALANCED TRS and you are feeding into a Balanced XLR then you shouldnt need a ground loop isolator, just balanced jack to XLR leads.

Excalibur
08-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Dont use the TRS ones, they are for connecting a mono RCA signal to BOTH channels of a Stereo Jack. If you use that on a balanced Jack you will not get any sound at all as the inphase and out of phase connections will be shorted together.

The TS ones will be fine as it will connect R & S together on a Balanced Jack and convert it to unbalanced ready for your ground loop isolator.

If however the Jack outputs on your hercules are BALANCED TRS and you are feeding into a Balanced XLR then you shouldnt need a ground loop isolator, just balanced jack to XLR leads.

I fear you may have misunderstood this post completely mate. If not, then I have.

It's mono outs on the Hercules, and we want to end up with phono sockets, so he can use the GLI. I'm guessing that he's got the dreaded Laptop Hum when on mains.

sweetie
08-09-2011, 01:53 PM
I want to use the mono 1/4" jack out of the hercules which is unbalanced due to its higher audio level than the rca out. I've always needed a ground loop isolator (GLI) on the rca out when I connect to my mixer so presume I also need it on the unbalanced mono 1/4" jack so am going to buy the two TS jacks to connect to hercules, then insert the GLI and finally the cable mentioned above that will be rca into the GLI and male xlr into my bassbin. Am I over complicating things?! Maybe I dont need a GLI on the unbalanced mono 1/4" jack output from the hercules?

Excalibur
08-09-2011, 02:24 PM
I want to use the mono 1/4" jack out of the hercules which is unbalanced due to its higher audio level than the rca out. I've always needed a ground loop isolator (GLI) on the rca out when I connect to my mixer so presume I also need it on the unbalanced mono 1/4" jack so am going to buy the two TS jacks to connect to hercules, then insert the GLI and finally the cable mentioned above that will be rca into the GLI and male xlr into my bassbin. Am I over complicating things?! Maybe I dont need a GLI on the unbalanced mono 1/4" jack output from the hercules?

At a guess, if you need it on one, you'll need it on the other. The adaptors I linked to are pennies, and well worth having anyway.

sweetie
08-09-2011, 02:29 PM
As I thought Peter. No harm in sticking it in the mix (pardon the pun)
Sound man! (an irish saying meaning you're a top bloke!) cheers

katman
08-09-2011, 02:48 PM
I fear you may have misunderstood this post completely mate. If not, then I have.

It's mono outs on the Hercules, and we want to end up with phono sockets, so he can use the GLI. I'm guessing that he's got the dreaded Laptop Hum when on mains.

I may have but as I understand it he wants to connect his hercules directly to his active speakers.

Just looked at the manual for the hercules and can see there are RCA outputs at -10db which will be too low to drive the speakers directly and also 1/4 jacks which are +4db and are intended for driving active speakers directly.

It seems strange to me that they would go to the trouble of providing higher level outputs on jack and leave them as unbalanced. They may well be balanced mono outputs but they make no reference on the product sheet as to whether they are balanced or unbalanced.

If they are unbalanced then just use the TS adapters you listed but if they are balanced then he wont need a GLI as ground loops shouldnt be a problem and a balanced jack to xlr lead would be the best way to connect.

I dont have access to an RMX to be able to determine if they are balanced or not so probably best to just stick with the adapters and GLI for now

sweetie
08-09-2011, 02:57 PM
It is strange but the pdf of the manual I found online refers to unbalanced in the diagram of the rear of the unit and also in the text so I'm going to play it safe with the GLI. thanks for you help.

sweetie
09-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Bought these yesterday and they worked a treat and the output was fine.
I also need to connect my sm58 xlr male to the mono 1/4" jack input and am hoping that
a mono 1/4" jack output like http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg01650/adaptor-xlr-to-6-35mm-jack/dp/AV15198
will suffice? It seems to be TS? thanks

Excalibur
09-09-2011, 03:25 PM
It seems strange to me that they would go to the trouble of providing higher level outputs on jack and leave them as unbalanced. They may well be balanced mono outputs but they make no reference on the product sheet as to whether they are balanced or unbalanced.

I was basing my advice on this:
http://www.hercules.com/download/DJConsoleRmx_ProductSheet_2008_04_Long_ENG.pdf
Page 1, "Mono out 1/4" jacks.
Page 3 Mic, mono 1/4" jack input and stereo 1/4" jack headphones out.

Edit: There appear to be two models, but if the OP has 1/4" jacks, we've got the right one.

sweetie
09-09-2011, 03:48 PM
seems like the mic input is unblanced so jobs a good 'un.