PDA

View Full Version : Strange hard Drive problem--help!!!

CRAZY K
16-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Been using 2x 320gb Seagate hard Drives for at least 5 years no probllem with my Cortex HDC 1000.

Have tried to update with about 15 new tracks for tonight in the usual fashion by adding them to the hard drives, deleting the Cortex db file and then connecting to Cortex to create new data base.

First HD no problem, second HD froze after a while whilst creating the database for Cortex.

Have deleted everything from HD and transferred the data from the good HD to it, then tried to create data base again on Cortex---same problem.

Then formatted FULLY the HD overnight so it was completely clean, then loaded a small amount of music from another PC which holds my I tunes collection.

The Cortex was happy with that.;)

Then transferred the whole of the collection on to the HD from my PC with the I Tunes music collection.

More problems, on trying to create data base got the message--ERROR CREATING DB PLSE MAKE SURE DEVICE IS OK AND CHECK SPACE.

There is loads of spare space.

Could it be something in the latest music I have added to the HD????

And why has the first HD accepted it ok--thank goodness!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I can identify all those tracks and posibly could remove them and see what happens.

Any suggestions welcomed--I am taking one good HD tonight and 3 Ipods as back up which makes me feel a little uneasy:eek:

Annoyingly I cant use the Ipods as hard drives which was my plan--- as according to Cortex the latest I tunes/Ipod software is incompatible, I believe Numark d2 can do this though.:D

Thanks in advance, am currently running the rogue HD for errors and recovery of bad sectors---whatever that means:daft:

Megamix
16-09-2011, 09:13 AM
5 years is a fair time for a hard drive - personally If it was critical data I would replace it - very cheap and one issue out of the equation.

mattydinx
16-09-2011, 06:00 PM
bad sectors would've been my guess if its only affecting one hard drive, they do deteriorate over time.

As above, 5 years is quite a long time for a portable drive - You can get a 320GB external HDD for £25 nowadays, I'd take that option.

Download a program called Crystal Disk Info for windows (don't know any mac equivalent unfortunately) which will tell you the detailed health of your hard drive (providing the drive supports it - most will)

CRAZY K
18-09-2011, 09:00 PM
bad sectors would've been my guess if its only affecting one hard drive, they do deteriorate over time.

As above, 5 years is quite a long time for a portable drive - You can get a 320GB external HDD for £25 nowadays, I'd take that option.

Download a program called Crystal Disk Info for windows (don't know any mac equivalent unfortunately) which will tell you the detailed health of your hard drive (providing the drive supports it - most will)

Thanks for that useful info--where do I get that 320gb drive for £25 please?

thanks in advance

Megamix
18-09-2011, 09:22 PM
probably nearer £35-40 on average

discomobiledj
19-09-2011, 06:42 AM
Thanks for that useful info--where do I get that 320gb drive for £25 please?

thanks in advance

I had an email come through the othe other day and I'm sure it was for a Samsung ecternal HD for that price.

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=pricelow&store=33&cat=393&filterpricebands=%5B0+TO+49.99%5D&limit=10&page=1

CRAZY K
21-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Been using 2x 320gb Seagate hard Drives for at least 5 years no probllem with my Cortex HDC 1000.

Have tried to update with about 15 new tracks for tonight in the usual fashion by adding them to the hard drives, deleting the Cortex db file and then connecting to Cortex to create new data base.

First HD no problem, second HD froze after a while whilst creating the database for Cortex.

Have deleted everything from HD and transferred the data from the good HD to it, then tried to create data base again on Cortex---same problem.

Then formatted FULLY the HD overnight so it was completely clean, then loaded a small amount of music from another PC which holds my I tunes collection.

Then transferred the whole of the collection on to the HD from my PC with the I Tunes music collection.

More problems, on trying to create data base got the message--ERROR CREATING DB PLSE MAKE SURE DEVICE IS OK AND CHECK SPACE.

I think I can identify all those tracks and posibly could remove them and see what happens.

Any suggestions welcomed--I am taking one good HD tonight and 3 Ipods as back up which makes me feel a little uneasy:eek:

Annoyingly I cant use the Ipods as hard drives which was my plan--- as according to Cortex the latest I tunes/Ipod software is incompatible, I believe Numark d2 can do this though.:D

Thanks in advance, am currently running the rogue HD for errors and recovery of bad sectors---whatever that means:daft:

Update guys, have managed to produce a stand alone back up Hard Drive now.:beer1:

However im trying to establish if I can keep the suspect one because its a handy size, fits in the case nicely etc

Sooooo-does anyone know anything about this error ----

Ox8007045D I/O device error

change.log.1
Type 1 file
size 47.5kb
Date Modified ----21/12/2006 22.05

Google search is not very helpful.

I intended to delete the file mentioned above but cannot do so as there appears to be a complicated procedure.

The error message appeared as I was trying to transfer full data on to the suspect HD and this message completely stopped the transfer.:eek:

Sooo is it dogy corrupted data or the HD?

For the anoraks amongst us--I created the database for the new stand alone HD on the Cortex Manager on my PC fine--my original HD which has been no trouble I created the database on the machine--I notice that the machine created database recognises artist tags like LMFAO whereas the one created on the Cortex Manager did not.:confused:

Digital eh:daft: :daft: :daft: :daft:

discomobiledj
21-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Does this help?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080112081600AA3YXER

hammy
21-09-2011, 05:54 PM
+1 on the "shadow copy" causing the error

CRAZY K
21-09-2011, 06:18 PM
+1 on the "shadow copy" causing the error

Great---errr exactly what does that mean though--- as I am a Barn Dance Caller/DJ not a Computer person.

What is the effect of this and what can I do to get rid of the problem.:confused:

Any advice welcomed.;)

CRAZY K
21-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Does this help?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080112081600AA3YXER

I did read this--but did not feel confident about the procedure unless guided by an expert in case I screw up the HD and my music.:eek:

The only Shadows I know about play 3 guitars and drums

Ok ill get my coat:)

discomobiledj
21-09-2011, 06:35 PM
I did read this--but did not feel confident about the procedure unless guided by an expert in case I screw up the HD and my music.:eek:

The only Shadows I know about play 3 guitars and drums

Ok ill get my coat:)

That's bad....:D

hammy
21-09-2011, 06:37 PM
VIA GOOGLE

go to the system settings and uncheck the drives so they no longer create shadow copies (restore function in Vista). Apply the new settings to erase all existing shadow copies. Then reset by checking the boxes you unchecked. Now try to backup the whole computer again. It appears a shadow copy error is conflicting with the backup process. Once you delete all shadow copies (restore points) it will work.

CRAZY K
21-09-2011, 10:50 PM
VIA GOOGLE

go to the system settings and uncheck the drives so they no longer create shadow copies (restore function in Vista). Apply the new settings to erase all existing shadow copies. Then reset by checking the boxes you unchecked. Now try to backup the whole computer again. It appears a shadow copy error is conflicting with the backup process. Once you delete all shadow copies (restore points) it will work.

What on earth is restore function in Vista?

Im on Windows 7:confused:

Will google how to erase all shadow copies--whatever that is:daft:

discomobiledj
21-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Direct from Microsoft

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-system/io-device-error-ox8007045d/0fa2bfae-0678-44a3-b258-7c0705315362

CRAZY K
01-11-2011, 08:21 PM

UPDATE

As suspected by most of you--hard drive had an intermittent fault with partitions---so my computer man says:daft:

Strangely he has ordered now no less than 2 repacement HDs both of which were duff :eek:

No names mentioned --rather reinforces Angelas post on modern equipment
faults.

Apparently recently prices for HDs have rocketed because a lot are made in Thailand where its been a trifle under the water recently disrupting production.

:daft: :daft: :daft:

CRAZY K
21-12-2011, 09:52 AM
UPDATE

As suspected by most of you--hard drive had an intermittent fault with partitions---so my computer man says:daft:

Strangely he has ordered now no less than 2 repacement HDs both of which were duff :eek:

No names mentioned --rather reinforces Angelas post on modern equipment
faults.

Apparently recently prices for HDs have rocketed because a lot are made in Thailand where its been a trifle under the water recently disrupting production.

:daft: :daft: :daft:

Well back on this one--one for the Computer techs--I am beginning to think my problem is/was corrupted files and file problems generally NOT the hard Drive which has been ditched:eek:

Although I have a newish USB driven HD which performs fine and can do data base indexing I believe if I dont delete the problem files I am storing up trouble for the future.

I now discover the data on the HD includes a large number of files that I dont need and are causing conflicts---Movie files, word files all sorts of rubbish that need deleting.

Does anyone know if there is a program which can help identify particular types of files on a Hard drive ?

Ideally all files other than MP3 in fact. So I can delete them.

thanks in advance

CRAZY K
01-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Well back on this one--one for the Computer techs--I am beginning to think my problem is/was corrupted files and file problems generally NOT the hard Drive which has been ditched:eek:

Although I have a newish USB driven HD which performs fine and can do data base indexing I believe if I dont delete the problem files I am storing up trouble for the future.

I now discover the data on the HD includes a large number of files that I dont need and are causing conflicts---Movie files, word files all sorts of rubbish that need deleting.

Does anyone know if there is a program which can help identify particular types of files on a Hard drive ?

Ideally all files other than MP3 in fact. So I can delete them.

thanks in advance

Moving on a bit now--I have solved my original Hard Drive problem with a replacement but thats gone wrong now.:eek:

Still using the CORTEX 1000.

My latest issue is I am using a NEW 500gb Seagate Hard Drive with my music collection cleaned up and all duplicated and rubbish removed by good old Media Monkey.

HOWEVER just when it was looking good--I AM GETTING A STUTTER ON PLAYING MUSIC WHEN SELECTING ON THE OPPOSITE TRACK FOR THE NEXT TUNE.

Never had this before with powered HD and also unpowered 320gb HD USB2.

Peter suggests a powered hub (what a drag) any other ideas--Cortex is perfect with existing powered HD and the unpowered one as well.

Incidentally same problem if used with a D2.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance