PDA

View Full Version : Fog Machines and Fire Alarms

DJ Pop Rocket
21-09-2006, 06:37 AM
Has anyone had any experiences of Fog Machines setting of Fire Alarms ? I own a fog machine but ive always been unsure on whether to use it in certain venues in case the fire alarm goes off. I dont even know 100% if the fogger can set off a fire alarm. :p Anyone got a bit more information on this ?

Ricesnaps
21-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Has anyone had any experiences of Fog Machines setting of Fire Alarms ? I own a fog machine but ive always been unsure on whether to use it in certain venues in case the fire alarm goes off. I dont even know 100% if the fogger can set off a fire alarm. :p Anyone got a bit more information on this ?
Easiest answer is to ask the venue when you get there - generally they know!

I now have an Antari "Fazer" which is basically a haze machine. Generally don't have many problems with this

alexperrins
21-09-2006, 10:27 AM
I think generally you will have problems with fog machines and fire alarms. The safest thing to do is not to take one as you wouldn't really want to risk anything and of course save embarassment. Even some haze machines can set them off, though they generally are less risky.

Have a disco
21-09-2006, 11:20 AM
some venues I have done have asked me not to use them some not in general ask the venue if in doubt but I will say low/heavy ground fog or Haze machines are the future as many are now refusing there use for same reason as smoking ban soon to be implimented even though I only use non carcegenic fluid?? which most are now using

spin mobile disco
21-09-2006, 01:39 PM
I use one of those vivid foggers at the moment, wasnt worth buying anything bigger as I found a lot of venues are fitting suppression systems in now they have embraced the smoking ban in Northants.

I have found that going to a venue to looka around check for power, size etc is an ideal time to grab a staff member and ask if I can use smoke. About 2 thirds of the venues I have played in the last 6 months now ban smoke machines where they allowed them before. Must admit the vivid is really more a fog machine than a smoke machine but the effect on smoke alarms is much the same. Im told that those new smoke machines that use a cooler to make the smoke hug the ground (like the old dry ice machines) do NOT set off smoke alarms. However only have the manafacturers word on that as I have never used one.

Anyone used one of those? provide some feedback please.

Also I expect all of you to fit the sneezing fits, caughs, sniffs into this documument as Im suffering from a lousy cold at the moment. So sorry for the sneeze over your screens.

Borrow my hanky it wipes off....see

Call me Indian cause I hunt the coboys!!

Corabar Steve
21-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Even low fog will rise once it's had the chance to warm a bit, there is still a riskn of setting off an alarm

spin mobile disco
21-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Ah ok thanks didnt know that. Advice always welcomed.
Always thought they look nice for first wedding dance etc.

Corabar Steve
21-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Also people do tend to try to waft any sort of smoke around the room, again risking setting off alarms

Ricesnaps
21-09-2006, 03:24 PM
As I said earlier, I am bemused by all of the can't use them here comments. I generally have very very little problem with my haze machine - people even don't cough like they do with fog! As I said, only about 20% of this years venues said no to using it

Have a disco
21-09-2006, 04:51 PM
AAA AAA ACtchoo

50/50 round about for me this year on halls n venues mainly older venues or very new ones???

spin mobile disco
21-09-2006, 04:56 PM
I supose it depends on what your regular venue's are and where they are located. In Northants for example they have bought in more enforced anti smoking laws. Si now all the venues think ' people arent smoking, ok why dodnt i get those smoke alarms i was thinking of it will lower my insurance' or something along those lines. Bottome line is round here a high percentage of places I play wont let me use smoke. As for people cughing i never used much smoke anyway just enough for the lights to look a bit better and I use that strawberry scent in it so people dont notice to much when it is on.
I think we are all going to find this a problem that gets worse and worse as time goes on. Mind you some venues wont bother getting alarms in and everyone will end up there on a saterday night lol.

leighinstoke
21-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Has anyone had any experiences of Fog Machines setting of Fire Alarms ?

Yep - main downstairs room in the SAS Raddison Hotel, Manchester Airport - scrambled 2 Manchester Fire Engines, 1 Airport Fire Tender, Armed Police from the Airport and an Ambulance - and that was because their staff forgot to isolate the room and nearby rooms during a Fashion Show.

I actually was no-where near it - I just wondered why the lift I was going up to my room in suddenly started to go down and then I was hurded outside with everyone else - while I watched my boss and the rest of the crew dealing with the gun-toting sergeant and very red-faced security manager.

Leigh....

Corabar Steve
21-09-2006, 08:28 PM
AAA AAA ACtchoo That's a sneeze :teeth:

A lot of it depends on the sort of detector dosen't it?

Dragonfly
29-09-2006, 07:41 AM
as said best ourse of action ask the venue i always check for smoke alarms when i get to a venue anyway. as for only 20% not allowing machines i have found totally the opposite think ive done about 4 venues this year that have allowd their use.

Have a disco
29-09-2006, 09:21 AM
will say the correct scent helps make it easier ie strawberry or mint works great but some smells do make you want to cough more than some

spin mobile disco
30-09-2006, 11:52 PM
Im told they do an apple scent, I use strawberry myself but it can make a mess of the injector if you get the mix wrong.

Ricesnaps
01-10-2006, 07:07 AM
as said best ourse of action ask the venue i always check for smoke alarms when i get to a venue anyway. as for only 20% not allowing machines i have found totally the opposite think ive done about 4 venues this year that have allowd their use.
Strange how different parts of the country can be SO different. The last venue I played at even suggested that they would like to use me more because the haze worked so well (even after the managers younger brother getting completely out of his pram about me using it because of a so called laser fire detection system.

I also think this has a lot to do with how you use a smoke machine or haze machine. I have to say that since owning the Antari Fazer I have had absolutely no comments or "coughs" from guests at all. Oh and the lighing looks amazing!