PDA

View Full Version : False virus alerts from AVG Free

katman
17-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Hi All,

Is anyone else using AVG Free and getting what I believe to be false virus alerts.

Both myself and my girlfriend are getting virus alerts today and in all cases the files triggering the alerts are images.

I am getting them on this forum whenever Corabar Steve's avitar is displayed.

I cleared my internet cache and it still happens, I also tried a different browser which would be a totally different downloaded file and that triggered an alert as well.

Im 100% convinced that is AVG falsely detecting something but just wondered if anyone else is having a problem.

My virus definitions were updated at 10:17 this morning and I checked a few minutes ago and got updated definitions and it is still happening.

Dynamic Entertainment
17-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Nope....Steves clean at my end...

Spirits High
17-09-2011, 06:31 PM
I had the same thing this afternoon albeit with a different file name.

Clicked the ignore bit.

katman
17-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Its definately a false positive since the definitions were updated today. I set Malwarebytes running before I went out and so far it hasnt found anything but when it accessed that image it triggered AVG again.... 3 times

once for firefox cache and twice for IE for the same file BUT.... one of the IE alerts was for my work profile which hasnt been used since yesterday and wasnt flagging alerts then.

The fact that you and my girlfriend are getting similar alerts for other images points to messed up definitions. No doubt it will fix itself in a day or so.

Corabar Entertainment
17-09-2011, 11:26 PM
I've got the same antivirus on here, and it hasn't flagged anything (yet!)

Vectis
17-09-2011, 11:36 PM
:confused: what is this "anti virus" of which you speak? :o

Corabar Entertainment
17-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Bog off! :lol:

katman
17-09-2011, 11:42 PM
I've got the same antivirus on here, and it hasn't flagged anything (yet!)

Malwarebytes didnt find anything wrong but AVG was still flagging up alerts after that scan.

Updated AVG's virus definitions for the THIRD TIME TODAY and the problem has now gone away.

Maybe you have been lucky and didnt get the dodgy definitions file. I hate it when that happens. For the most part AVG is superb but just every now and then......

Corabar Entertainment
17-09-2011, 11:59 PM
I had to go and open my big trap, didn't I?

It's just flagged one! :lol:

katman
18-09-2011, 12:08 AM
I had to go and open my big trap, didn't I?

It's just flagged one! :lol:

I think the best comment I can make is "no comment" :lol:

Dynamic Entertainment
18-09-2011, 01:34 AM
:Censored: :Censored: :Censored: :Censored: :Censored: :Censored:

Doing it with me now too.....

STEVE HANLEY
18-09-2011, 01:40 AM
I got the same alert on Friday evening when I checked further into temp internet files. It's the Welsh flag image:confused: :daft:

Marc J
18-09-2011, 07:53 AM
AVGFree's Facebook page and forum are full of this. It's a false positive and will apparently be fixed in the next definitions update.