PDA

View Full Version : So far I like what I see.............

Larry B Entertainment
06-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Been having a go with Ubuntu lately and got to say its pretty good. Microsoft has been annoying me for a while now so thought I would give something else a go.

I have had it running inside Windows but am going to install it as the primary OS soon. Just got to see which of my programs I would lose by moving to Linux full time.

Its nice not to see the Windows logo and not have errors every 5 minutes and apologies for the inconvinience that Windows has caused :cool:

Daryll
06-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Ubuntu.

Web Browser - Firefox
Email client - Thunderbird
Calandar - Sunbird

Office suite - Open office

DJ software - Ultramixer

Accounts - GNU cash
Graphics - GIMP.

Thats just a start , all avenues are covered , stick with it.

Daryll

Creature
06-10-2011, 05:25 PM
You wont regret the move - as you get to grips with Ubuntu you will find out just how easy it is to use and customise.

I love the "software center" were all the programs are and there all free.

ive only had a few issues and those I have got around - publisher files i used to use a lot - now just use open office.

and my disco booking program was written to use microcrap access - my youngest son took one look at it and came back with a simple version done in open office :)

only thing i will say is install the antivirus prog in the software centre avclam - it has picked up a few minor things but as tehy would be deleted when you reboot not really an issue - but then again not rebooted this comp since may this year - so just peace of mind

Larry B Entertainment
06-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Yes, I was going to install the Anti virus anyway as you cant be too careful.

Really impressed with the whole affair. I struggled for ages to get my Belkin wireless dongle to work with Windows and it was very problematic, dropping the driver when it felt like it. Ubuntu found and connected to it straight away with a better signal.

I find it hard to believe that software like this exists for free and does a better job than MS.

Creature
06-10-2011, 09:11 PM
I find it hard to believe that software like this exists for free and does a better job than MS.

thats most peoples thoughts as well - there loss :)

Creature
06-10-2011, 10:50 PM
What I have done is install 2 harddrives - the 2nd one i store all my files & important stuff on.

then the few times i made a mistake when i was 1st starting to use ubuntu i just reinstalled on the 1st hard drive - then after the install process had finished then re connected it :)

But I like to experiment when i install a new operating system & knew I was gonna mess up teh O/S

Larry B Entertainment
07-10-2011, 08:55 AM
I am currently dual booting it along side XP. Works like a dream. I didnt think it would so easy to set it all up.

I love how hard drives and memory sticks appear on the desktop when plugged in, a bit of inspiration from Apple there I think.

Im still getting used to not having a start menu, a few times I have moved the cursor to the bottom left and then realised its a different OS lol

Creature
07-10-2011, 09:16 AM
You can move the menu bar to the bottom if you wish by right click once on the menu bar then click on properties and change the orientation :)

a brilliant book i can recommend is Ubuntu for dummies :)

Larry B Entertainment
07-10-2011, 10:56 AM
a brilliant book i can recommend is Ubuntu for dummies :)

Might have to get a copy ;)

Being a Windows user for 15 odd years its a refreshing change to learn a new OS. Might even learn a bit of coding along the way :)