PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Behind The DJ

Megamix
13-10-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm looking for suggestions please on lighting little ol' me - behind me or above me - to be placed on the floor or to the side - i.e. not on a tripod

My original contenders were the Chauvet Colorstrip mini (chasing good but dimming not so good allegedly) and the ADJ Mega Bar 50 RC. But now I'm wondering...

Jellydome or American DJ Flat Par Tri7?

I'm after something small (not too expensive, but may be convinced :D ) for a small space (which has a black curtain behind it) to jazz things up - so have ignored the 1m par bars - as I fear they will be too bright.

I'm now at the paralysis through analysis stage - help! :daft:

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-10-2011, 07:00 PM
I use a 1m Megabar and it works well.

Excalibur
13-10-2011, 07:06 PM
- so have ignored the 1m par bars - as I fear they will be too bright.

I'd think that the TRI 7 (and its German counterparts ) would also be very very bright, since it's basically the same fixture that hangs on the Powerbars. It may also be a little narrow in the beam angle for what you want. ( Superb piece of kit though, Alchemy rates it highly )

ppentertainments
13-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Personally I don't think you can beat a couple of par cans

Megamix
13-10-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm very tempted with the 1m bar - are there padded bags that fit just one? Couldn't see one - only ones that take four or 8

Mark Wild
13-10-2011, 08:14 PM
+1 on the 1m mega bar, I use the visio but they're pretty much exactly the same I think, give off plenty of wash behind you, here's mine in use :)

Alchemy
13-10-2011, 09:47 PM
If I back light I use my Miracled. Don't use it for anything else :(

yourdj
13-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Get a .5 m bar - they are discontinued so you should find a cheap one on ebay. :)

Or two pars

Megamix
13-10-2011, 10:32 PM
interesting, they are still coming into stock i'm told - the average shelf life of most dj equipment is very short i've noticed

Supreme Soundz
14-10-2011, 10:31 AM
i use the showtec bar 8 1m barr found it amazing and in sound to light splits in to ore sections than the adj and other contenders giving a better variety of show easy colour selection and mix function too and about 89 quid from rsd with free postage

Megamix
14-10-2011, 11:02 AM
i saw the showtec, is the build quality good? -

with the showtec i would need at least 9 channel controller, so added expense :(

Supreme Soundz
14-10-2011, 11:46 AM
yes its as robust as the competitors adj and like wise i veiwed all of the others and decided on the showtec as it seems to have alot more versatility running sound to light or pre set programs as it splits into smaller sections its dimmable but by far the brightest on full wack from comparing the specs this shows as it has a slightly higher power draw too.

Showtec LED Bar RGB by SB Lite - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9J-LDvU2XM)

you can change the number of dmx channels it uses? for backlighting my 2 units i use a ledj lil mix 4 channel controller works fine :) thought the units are very easy to control from the built in display they have all the std colours pre programmed and a rgb mix where you can fade each to any level to get the desired colour this isnt fiddely really easy to do also all th pre set programmes are selectable this way and you can adjust the rate of them too which seems to save so i have my presets set how i like them then i can just change at the press of a button

yourdj
14-10-2011, 11:52 AM
This is not 100% relevant to the thread but I have stopped backlighting myself altogether now as i used to use a par can and even a triphase behind me.

I tend to do allot of weddings and want the focal point to be the dance floor and room which is achieved through uplighting most of the time.
I seem to have taken more of a back seat and light the bride and groom up instead and let the music do the talking. Seems to work just as well. :)

I like being the man in the dark :D - I usually do the whole master of ceremonies thing so the clients have got to know me by then anyway, letting me relax a bit more and focus on the music and watch the room better but i can see the advantage as having the booth as a focal point in a crappy hall or something.

Megamix
14-10-2011, 12:01 PM
well i have a ledj lil mix 4 channel controller - so that might just be the kiddy for me - and I found a bag on ebay for £25 so I could be in business

Supreme Soundz
14-10-2011, 12:05 PM
sounds like a plan, i only tried the lil mix just to see if it worked which it does the units have to be set to dmx mode 2 to get the dimming too i normally use them in sound to light when gigging as i mount mine on my tripods but have used them to uplight a wall and found the controller handy to swap colours so i didnt keep having to bend down

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Get a .5 m bar - they are discontinued

Are you sure about that? :confused:

WWDJ
14-10-2011, 12:26 PM
The American DJ Flat TRI7 (and the Mega Bar RC 1m and 0.5m) have remote control available.

You can colour mix with it, or set the units to auto, sound to light etc.

simonp
14-10-2011, 03:35 PM
I use either the 1m Megabar, the ADJ Profile panel and the ADJ H2o Effect - it depends on the event and my mood TBH :)

Megamix
14-10-2011, 04:12 PM
use either the 1m Megabar, the ADJ Profile panel and the ADJ H2o Effect now I have two more options :daft: :daft: :daft:

mattydj50
16-10-2011, 07:19 PM
I've got 2 x 1m ADJ megabars and store them away in a Citronic speaker stand bag. Sometimes 1, sometimes use 2 linked together, depending on what's behind me.

chrispeacock
16-10-2011, 08:03 PM
i bought the 0.5 mtr adj mega bar purely for the simplicity to control it via remote control instead of setting it up via dmx and the need to buy a controller and dmx leads which would have nearly doubled the cost.

Megamix
16-10-2011, 08:06 PM
i bought the 0.5 mtr adj mega bar purely for the simplicity to control it via remote control instead of setting it up via dmx and the need to buy a controller and dmx leads which would have nearly doubled the cost.

Do you use the 0.5m on the floor - if so does it generate 'enough' light?

chrispeacock
16-10-2011, 08:21 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/g40chris/disco%202/005.jpg

this is the adj 0.5 mega bar and 2 ledj color bursts

Megamix
26-10-2011, 10:48 AM
well megabar 50 RC arrived yesterday and it does the trick, so thanks for all your suggestions.