PDA

View Full Version : Hanging moving heads

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-09-2006, 01:04 PM
I've got 4 of the Stairville/Isolution moving heads and can't seem to get them to hang straight.

It's only very slight, but it is annoying me, being the picky git that I am.

I'm using the Ultimax winch stand with the double bar and hanging from the top bar using the long Ultimax clamps, and as soon as I do the thumbscrew up they tilt to one side.

I tried hanging them a different way with the digital display to one side which seemed to work, but as I use them on show 3, all the heads went to the left and not in front.

Any ideas for different clamps that fit the Ultimax bars, or a way of straightening them?

Pictures would be good :)

robbiedj
23-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Why not ask Ultimax?

Or get on to Alex at Prolight.

They earn enough out of us all, make them work for it.

:teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Why not ask Ultimax?

I have. I spoke to Andy Tain who suggested turning the heads round...

Or get on to Alex at Prolight.

:teeth:

Hmm..Not sure that they would want to speak to me after the quick clamp episode :sad:

Paul James Promotions
23-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Pictures would be good :)

:thumbs_up

Corabar Steve
24-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Are you using 2 clamps per head? If so, try having one facing forwards & one backwards

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Are you using 2 clamps per head? If so, try having one facing forwards & one backwards

No, there's only one hole and it's in the middle of the bracket.

Paul James Promotions
24-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Upload a pic if you can

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-09-2006, 11:55 PM
Upload a pic if you can

Of them hanging or just the bracket arrangement?

groovy-nights
28-09-2006, 04:13 PM
If its the same base as the spot knights.forget the bit of metal you get which screws in the middle.On the base they should be 4 holes for bolts to screw into two big and two small.Your g clamp bolts will screw into the big holes.This is how i used to hang the spot knights.If i am wrong o well

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-09-2006, 11:00 PM
If its the same base as the spot knights.forget the bit of metal you get which screws in the middle.On the base they should be 4 holes for bolts to screw into two big and two small.Your g clamp bolts will screw into the big holes.This is how i used to hang the spot knights.If i am wrong o well

I'll check that out - cheers! :beer:

DMX Will
28-09-2006, 11:33 PM
you could always just try hanging them with string :teeth:

Sam
04-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Was the problem fixed.. I am looking at doing the same thing. And the clamps you used.. where they just standard ones?

Also has anyone hung them on the goalpost style lighting stand.. (cross basbeing the one which has a top bar and lower bar with bits of metal in the middle.. instead of the crossbars which have two bars running along the lower level)

Sam

Sam
05-10-2006, 06:32 PM
?????

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-10-2006, 06:53 PM
If you read the other thread where this was mentioned, you will find that I posted that I haven't had time to have a go at the suggestions yet....

Is anyone actually reading any threads tonight?

Sam
05-10-2006, 06:56 PM
I read it.. that was aimed at other people.

Sorry

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-10-2006, 06:32 PM
So, anyway, here's a picture from Saturday and you can see that the heads tilt slightly one way.

Before anyway says, the double bar needs re-wiring and looks a bit untidy. I need to sort the DMX cable and IECs out again.

The 4 movers were linked using the CA-8 and the 2 Twisters were linked master and slave, with the centrepiece on it's own.

So, for those vaguely interested....

Lighting
4x Isolution IM5
2x Twister 4 HPs
1x Martin EFX500

Sound
2x Mackie SRM450s
1x Mackie SWA1501
1x Denon DN X-400

Sam
09-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Cheers mate..
I don't think my lights will hang now..
I bought the Pilot 250.. and it is meant to have a gross weight of 21kg and are 450mm x 450mm by 610mm high..

So bit big for the rig me thinks..
So have decided to have them on the floor now:-)

DMX Will
09-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Looks good Daz! Untidy cables...sort them out ;)

If you want to be really clever, you could get a trip of thin ply paint it black then mount it to the front of the bar with g-clamps to hide the bar itself, making a valance type-thing

Corabar Entertainment
09-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Personally, I think that would make it look very 'heavy', and in great danger of looking tacky

Have to say Darren - that it doesn't notice in that picture that the lights are wonky..... or is my eyesight going :teeth:

ian8limelight
09-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Daz,

NIce looking show. I would agree with Angela, it doesn't look as if they are on the tilt .... it may only be that the slight bend in the bar gives them that appearance.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Daz,

NIce looking show. I would agree with Angela, it doesn't look as if they are on the tilt .... it may only be that the slight bend in the bar gives them that appearance.

Funny that, cos when I was there, there definately wasn't a bend in the bar. I've never noticed that before - maybe it was the camera angle?

Corabar Steve
09-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Yes, I was going to ask how you get double bar to bend like that? :teeth:

Sort your cables out! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

ian8limelight
09-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Funny that, cos when I was there, there definately wasn't a bend in the bar. I've never noticed that before - maybe it was the camera angle?

OR has someone been swinging on your bars !!!!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Yes, I was going to ask how you get double bar to bend like that? :teeth:

Sort your cables out! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

What it could be is the fact that I forgot to put one of the long bolts through the bar in the middle where the Martin light is. :embarasse

I've never noticed before.

And Steve.....

Shut your face :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
09-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Funny that, cos when I was there, there definately wasn't a bend in the bar. I've never noticed that before - maybe it was the camera angle?Have to say, I thought I had noticed that bend on a previous picture you posted??????????????????????

DMX Will
09-10-2006, 09:56 PM
The movers look on the tilt to me.... (excluding the second on the left)

but also look fine :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Have to say, I thought I had noticed that bend on a previous picture you posted??????????????????????

Never.... :omg:

Just looking now and there does appear to be a slight bend in one of the pictures...

I don't know how - the weight is evenly distributed and not exceeding what the maximum weight is.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-10-2006, 09:59 PM
The movers look on the tilt to me.... (excluding the second on the left)

They all are very slightly. It shows more when you look from behind though.

Corabar Entertainment
09-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Maybe it's just an optical illusion?

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-10-2006, 10:00 PM
I suppose if one winch is higher than the other it might look slightly out.

Corabar Steve
09-10-2006, 10:03 PM
I suppose if one winch is higher than the other it might look slightly out.
That's got to be it, you obiously over do it with one or the other winch. Cumulative stress would bend the bar :)

Corabar Entertainment
09-10-2006, 10:05 PM
I suppose if one winch is higher than the other it might look slightly out.But it looks 'down' at both ends!

You could check the bar against a straight object (eg a wall) before you errect the stand to see if there is any curve in any direction.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Not sure I like talking about my erections in public...

Corabar Entertainment
09-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Steady Darren... don't get excited now! :omg: :omg: :omg: :)

djbigdevs
09-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Yeh its to do with the angle that the photo was taken, creates an unusual perspective.
As Angela said - like an optical illusion!!

Just to be on the safe side you may want to get your spirit level out! ;) :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Yeh its to do with the angle that the photo was taken, creates an unusual perspective.
As Angela said - like an optical illusion!!

Just to be on the safe side you may want to get your spirit level out! ;) :)

Yeah, Lee who helped me on Saturday mentioned that.... :teeth:

djbigdevs
09-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Yeah, Lee who helped me on Saturday mentioned that.... :teeth:
Just realised I haven't mentioned it - looks good too! (the set up - that is - not the 'bend'):teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Just realised I haven't mentioned it - looks good too! (the set up - that is - not the 'bend'):teeth:

You're on my Christmas card list now. :teeth: :beer:

djbigdevs
09-10-2006, 11:11 PM
What??!!

I wasn't already!! :omg: :teeth:

ian8limelight
10-10-2006, 06:58 PM

.......... and what about me ? :)

ian8limelight
10-10-2006, 07:00 PM
So, anyway, here's a picture from Saturday and you can see that the heads tilt slightly one way.

.......... and I didn't realsie your front room was so big !!! :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-10-2006, 07:15 PM
.......... and I didn't realsie your front room was so big !!! :)

That's just the hallway :teeth:

Corabar Steve
10-10-2006, 07:24 PM
That's just the hallway :teeth:
He's not lying, Solitaire Mansions is huge! :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-10-2006, 07:38 PM
He's not lying, Solitaire Mansions is huge! :teeth:

Well, I need room for my Caffreys :teeth: :beer:

DK Karaoke
11-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Hey Solitaire,

Question please, what kind of lighting rig are you using. Its looks heavy gauge and is it all part of the lower deck stand, or is it separate?

ian8limelight
11-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Well, I need room for my Caffreys :teeth: :beer:

What about the spare cans of Guiness/Murphy's for me and Steve ??? :teeth:

Corabar Steve
11-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Hey Solitaire,

Question please, what kind of lighting rig are you using. Its looks heavy gauge and is it all part of the lower deck stand, or is it separate?
Darren uses Ultimax (http://www.ultimate1.co.uk/ultimax.htm) as do I & Ian8Limelight, We all swear by them.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Hey Solitaire,

I seemed to have missed a load of posts somehow.

Anyway, as Steve says it's an Ultimax, with mine being the winch version.

And yes, it is all part of the stand.

Corabar Steve
11-10-2006, 08:42 PM
I seemed to have missed a load of posts somehow.I thought that may have happened again.

ian8limelight
11-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Darren uses Ultimax (http://www.ultimate1.co.uk/ultimax.htm) as do I & Ian8Limelight, We all swear by them.

We certainly do and, what's more, we've never had to swear at them. :teeth:

Sam
13-10-2006, 12:23 PM
They seem good.
Not too expensive either.
Are there any problems with them that people know of?

DK Karaoke
13-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks guys. We use a Mulitmax pro stand also, but it does not have overhead beams for lights. Will have to get one. Also use the clip mechanism giraffe stands that turn into a trolly, very useful for loading gear.

We find the Miltimax pro stand very easy to assemble (5 mins), very compact. It carries our amp at the bottom, deck on the top and mixer on the overhead arms, with the radio receiver resting on the amp.

For the gigs with lights, we use the giraffe 4foot stand with overhead bar, but I want to get a much heavier version. Thats why I asked about Solitaire's kit, as it looks really sturdy. We dont always do a light show, as not necessary for those karaoke events.

ian8limelight
13-10-2006, 12:49 PM
They seem good.
Not too expensive either.
Are there any problems with them that people know of?

Never had a problem with any other Ultimax stands. They are easy to assemble/take-down, east to get replacement parts for. and are very sturdy.

For the full range, see:-

http://www.ultimate1.co.uk

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Never had a problem with any other Ultimax stands. They are easy to assemble/take-down, east to get replacement parts for. and are very sturdy.

Although.....one small thing.

If you get the wheeled version, the brakes are rubbish, plasticy things that fall off at the drop of a hat.

Andy at Ultimax assures me they are sourcing new metal ones though. (well about 8 months ago, he did :sad: )

ian8limelight
13-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Although.....one small thing.

If you get the wheeled version, the brakes are rubbish, plasticy things that fall off at the drop of a hat.

Andy at Ultimax assures me they are sourcing new metal ones though. (well about 8 months ago, he did :sad: )

It was about that time that he was talking about straight, unbroken poles. Also looks like http://www.directdistibution.uk.com takes you straight to eggs and beans !!

Corabar Steve
13-10-2006, 03:21 PM

Er, Ian, that link was posted on #47 :teeth:

ian8limelight
13-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Er, Ian, that link was posted on #47 :teeth:

:embarasse :embarasse Oh yes, sorry.

Once again, off to THE corner ............. Heigh ho, heigh ho ...............

Dragonfly
14-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Well thought id resurect this thread any ideas for hanging moving heads on a prolight wind up trilite style truss? as idiot proof as possible lol :D :D :D all the bits here for the new design , going to put it together this week and test it at a friends wedding next saturday ...... well thats the theory.

Also does anyone have a link to a place I can get 2 replacement stairvill/acme im-5 hanging brackets as my old 2 have always been floor mounted and I can't find the hanging brackets for them anywhere????

thanks.

think ive sussed the hanging but still need 2 brackets if anyone knows where to source them?

DMX Will
14-07-2007, 04:09 PM
think ive sussed the hanging but still need 2 brackets if anyone knows where to source them?

Maybe talk to Thomann on that one - considering their there own brand, you might get lucky. If not try ProLight and make out you've got the Acme version!

RE: The hanging...read this thread!! lol :D