PDA

View Full Version : Do you still use strobes.

super-hero
24-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Just wondering if any of you still use strobes,

I haven't owned a strobe for years, but was thinking of buying one.

chrisj
24-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Only time I ever used a strobe I actually had 4 in the corners and in a chase mood. Cor that was back in '86.

super-hero
24-10-2011, 09:52 PM
The last stobes I owned were Anytronics megastrobe, or something like that.

They were too bright for 99.9% of my gigs, so I sold them. But I have been looking at getting something less powerful, or maybe dimmable.

Kernow
24-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Still regularly using my faithful Geni FL3. :)
It's a great way to create the right atmosphere for things like the Time Warp and some Frankie Goes to Hollywood stuff. ;)

paulg
24-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Nope. Totally wrong these days now we know that strobing creates problems for people who suffer seizures - especially those who don't know they suffer from them yet!

WWDJ
24-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Tend not to use strobing much. Will sometimes get the uplighting pars flashing and a bit of strobing, but not direct strobing the audience with those 3K things, no way.

Kernow
24-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Nope. Totally wrong these days now we know that strobing creates problems for people who suffer seizures - especially those who don't know they suffer from them yet!

Interesting, but I've already put my case forward in

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24953&page=2&highlight=strobe+flash

and it would seem I'm not alone ;)

STEVE HANLEY
24-10-2011, 11:09 PM
With todays "Let's sue the :Censored: for all we can" culture and the H&S issues surrounding strobes. It's a NO from me. Shame really:( . As they do look good. Right place, right time and all that malarkey;) ;)

DeckstarDeluxe
24-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Haven't used one for 2 years but that was at a 16th birthday bash when they wanted drum n bass all evening and I must say it really did add to the atmosphere. Video on youtube somewhere......

Leicester Ben
24-10-2011, 11:12 PM
We have a Martin Atomic strobe in stock, goes to about 10 jobs a year, looks great but just uses so much power, a single 13amp socket and that's running it on 1/2 power :)

yourdj
24-10-2011, 11:21 PM
I have set a stobe function on a new controller I have which tbh is very effective. Its at least 5 times a second and really makes a difference as all the lights are doing it.

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
24-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Used to love jumping on my footswitch to kill all the disco lights and whack on my Pulsar Jumbo Strobe!
alas not these days, as i dont wish to trigger a medical claim!
I also think theyre a bit down market and rather cheesy!
cheers

Plus the wifes a nurse she would kill me too!

Charlie Brown
25-10-2011, 12:23 AM
I've got a 1k strobe that I diged out the other day. I'll use it at teen events sparingly.

Would it be my fault if somebody had a fit?

If I put a disclaimer on the door would that cover me?

Andy Goodtimes
25-10-2011, 01:47 AM
I have a pair of very old Pulsar strobes, they're massive big things and I haven't used them in years. I had a run of folk saying please don't use strobes and one chap had a fit at a Wedding I did too, its a pity as they can be very effective.

Creature
25-10-2011, 01:58 AM
nope sold mine a few years back - its usually one of teh top questions i was getting - we dont want strobes

Alchemy
25-10-2011, 08:09 AM
I use mine sparingly in certain circumstances such as "Time Warp".
Before I decided to start using one I did a bit of research and discovered some very interesting facts about photosensitive epilepsy.

a) Around 1 in 131 people have epilepsy

b) Of these, around 5% have photosensitive epilepsy (1 in 2620)

c) Triggers for an attack include video games, fireworks, sunlight through blinds, trees or railings as well as flashing lights.

d) Covering one eye completely with your hand will greatly reduce the photosensitive effect.

source: http://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/AboutEpilepsy/Whatisepilepsy/Triggers/Photosensitiveepilepsy

My conclusion was that people who suffer from photosensitive epilepsy will most probably know they have it and be aware of the situations that trigger an attack. Therefore I feels relaxed about using my strobe in the course of a gig (unless advised or asked otherwise)

Paul The Party Dj
25-10-2011, 08:45 AM
A strobe doesn't really fit with my usual clients but my son uses one all the time at his 16th/17th/18th type parties - when I say all the time I mean he takes it and uses it as them - not uses them all the time at ... oh, you know what I mean. Anyway, he hasn't had a problem yet.

We often talk about the mirror ball being the classic effect but the strobe must be in the top 5. I have great memories of bouncing around to Silver Machine in halls filled with strobes and smoke in the 70's when I was a teenager!

Shakermaker Promotions
25-10-2011, 08:55 AM
I haven't used one for at least 5 years. It's funny as I spent all day yesterday sorting out my lockup etc and came across a box with my strobes in it. I actually thought whether I should bin them but decided that they may get used again in the future (lighting hire for bands etc which comes up every now and then for me).

soundtracker
25-10-2011, 09:00 AM
My Anytronic may get a little outing on Saturday for Thunder & Lightning effect for Halloween party.

Marc J
25-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Would it be my fault if somebody had a fit?

If I put a disclaimer on the door would that cover me?

Back in the day (late 80s) I triggerred a photosensitive epileptic fit in someone when using a strobe. Back then it was used a lot, and in the almost 10 years the club operated that was the only time anything like that happened. At the time the general consensus (rightly or wrongly) is that it was "her own stupid fault" for coming to a nightclub when she knew she was photosensitive.

I seem to remember a general guideline at the time about the frequency to set strobes at, but it wasn't law. I also just found this PDF (http://www.stormlighting.co.uk/uploaded/VC440cc98352696.pdf) which says: -

There is no legislation covering the use of strobe lighting specifically.
Carefully consider the use of strobe lights, as under some conditions they may induce epilepsy in flickersensitive individuals. Whenever strobe lights are used, arrange for a prior warning to be given at the entrance to the event or in the programme.
If strobe lights are used, keep flicker rates at or below four flashes per second. Below this rate it is estimated that only 5% of the flicker-sensitive population will be at risk of an attack. This flicker rate only applies to the overall output of any group of lights in direct view, but where more than one strobe light is used the flashes should be synchronised. To reduce the risk further, mount lights as high above head height as is practicable. Where possible, the lights should be bounced off walls and ceilings or diffused by other means so that glare is reduced. They should not be used in corridors or on stairs. Continuous operation of strobe lighting for long periods should be avoided.
Summary:

• There is no law covering strobe lighting specifically.
• HSE guidance is published as above but is not legally binding.

Requirements for operation may be set by the licensing authority

JAMdisco
25-10-2011, 09:18 AM
I have never owned or used a strobe and doubt I ever will.

As has been said, with the recent "Americanised" view to sue your grandma and everyone else along the way, I can only see it ending in tears.

I've also been asked on a few occasions not to use 'flashy strobe-like' effects.

I much prefer the subtlety of my LED pars, either on a constant colour (early on throughout background music) or sound-to-light during the disco. They don't flash often enough to trigger a seizure (I hope) but look nice especially when used in conjunction with an effect (such as my ImpossibLED).

If I'm requested to not have flashy lights, I usually point my ImpossibLED up towards the ceiling for a nice effect.

Andy Goodtimes
25-10-2011, 09:21 AM
I dunno if putting a notice up would be sufficient or not but on TV they often warn of flash photography at the start of a news item or alike so I guess they must have done their homework and know what they are doing and the warning prob does mean something or why would they do it.

JAMdisco
25-10-2011, 09:26 AM
I dunno if putting a notice up would be sufficient or not but on TV they often warn of flash photography at the start of a news item or alike so I guess they must have done their homework and know what they are doing and the warning prob does mean something or why would they do it.

I think it would be better to put a notice on your frontage (maybe high up) if you were to use strobes, maybe a note on the door too along with the occasional mention over the mic.

Or...
...supply everyone with complimentary sunglasses :D You could have your disco name on them to promote your services lol

Jiggles
25-10-2011, 10:35 AM
We has strobes in a few shows and all we done was put up some signs on te door saying there was strobe effects being used and an announcement at the start of the show and that was it really.

Corabar Entertainment
25-10-2011, 10:42 AM
We has strobes... Shall we rename you Alexander? :p
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00970/SNF2130A-280_970432a.jpg

Kernow
25-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Shall we rename you Alexander? :p

You cropped out Callums' background :confused:
;) :D :D

Larry B Entertainment
25-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Strobes are good for the big buildups on tracks like Sandstorm but I havent used one for ages due to too many H&S restrictions on them now.

paulg
25-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Interesting, but I've already put my case forward in

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24953&page=2&highlight=strobe+flash

and it would seem I'm not alone ;)

You're aware that strobing introduces a risk of harm and yet you'd use the effect? Better check that PLI policy!

Kernow
25-10-2011, 12:49 PM
You're aware that strobing introduces a risk of harm and yet you'd use the effect? Better check that PLI policy!

Ok, sorry for the delay in replying but it's quite a wordy document :(
It would appear that as long as the use of lighting equipment to cause harm is not intentional or caused by my insanity, suicidal tendency or as an act of terrorism there is no specific exclusion for stroboscopic lighting :confused:
Perhaps I should also mention that I have a full risk assessment in place, paying particular regard to the HSE Event Safety guidelines ?
I also hold a current certificate in "Understanding Epilepsy", obtained as a requisite of my day job, which I hope will vindicate my position as 'informed' ?

I am a little surprised though at the suggestion that I would deliberately set out to harm my clients and their guests who, on the whole seem to welcome and enjoy the effect :confused: . I guess that it must be just a little more than luck that in 30 years, I have never experienced or witnessed any ill-effects that have resulted ?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Jiggles
25-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Shall we rename you Alexander? :p
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00970/SNF2130A-280_970432a.jpg

Damn phone keyboard! :sj:

Stu
25-10-2011, 03:31 PM
I have a 3000w jobbie that is used once a year for a weekender festival, shame it's not out more :(

musicologydisco
25-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Use mine all the time. Still a great effect especially when combined with laser!

BossmanKaraokeDisco
26-10-2011, 07:01 AM
Use mine all the time. Still a great effect especially when combined with laser!

:agree: unless client requests not to be used :D

NKR
26-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Our OMNI Tri 9's strobe very well, so use them when they are up.

paulg
26-10-2011, 11:41 AM
I guess that it must be just a little more than luck that in 30 years, I have never experienced or witnessed any ill-effects that have resulted ? :confused: :confused: :confused:

whatever.

Corabar Entertainment
26-10-2011, 11:56 AM
whatever.No need to be rude. :(