PDA

View Full Version : Master of Ceremonies training day/weekend - Who would be up for it?

yourdj
27-10-2011, 02:04 PM
I am organizing a weekend away early next year
somewhere nice like a rural cottage or something.

It will be a two day course I think on the training of
wedding etiquette, master of ceremonies duties and technique.

It will basically teach you how to captivate a crowd within seconds without even trying. :D

Firstly does anyone know a good candidate as a tutor for this as I have only started looking.
It does not have to be a DJ television presenters, public speakers, comedians all possess the necessary skills.
I am not talking about red coat (lords ladies and gentlemen) formality but more Dermit O'leary type thing but for weddings.
Mark Walsh's approach would be an ideal example. http://www.djmarkwalsh.co.uk

So who would be up for this? I am looking at about a group of 10 perhaps more or even two separate days on a Sunday and Monday. The location will depend on where the professional tutor is based I think but will be central/south. :)

Give us an email if you have any idea of suggestions but I will keep you posted.

[email protected]

Thanks ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-10-2011, 02:11 PM
I'd be interested.

Dermit O'Leary?

Not sure I am getting you there Toby...

NXDisco
27-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Toby,

I'll definitely be up for this. Count me in.

Shaun.

ppentertainments
27-10-2011, 02:20 PM
I would be up for it, depending on who would run the course.

I recently done a stand-up comedian course with Tom o'connor. It was amazing the 'additional' skills I picked up from working with a professional, not sure he would have knowledge about wedding etiquette etc.

Corabar Entertainment
27-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure that someone purely with presenting skills would be the ideal tutor. Surely someone with knowledge of event etiquette would be essential?

yourdj
27-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure that someone purely with presenting skills would be the ideal tutor. Surely someone with knowledge of event etiquette would be essential?

Good point - I am looking for a wedding expert really.

I'd be interested.

Dermit O'Leary?

The sort of presenting that looks like they are not trying but are spot on every-time is what I was trying to say :p

Toby,

I'll definitely be up for this. Count me in.

Shaun.

I would be up for it, depending on who would run the course.

I recently done a stand-up comedian course with Tom o'connor. It was amazing the 'additional' skills I picked up from working with a professional, not sure he would have knowledge about wedding etiquette etc.

Nice to see so much interest i will book a mini bus now then :p
I will get back to you when i know more. Obviously there will be a fee and it will be relevant to what you will get out of it. :)

Ecstatic Events
27-10-2011, 04:15 PM
I would also like to express an interest.

Keep me posted :)

Paul The Party Dj
27-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Dermit O'leary

Is he a Dermot O'Leary tribute act?

Keep me in the loop please.

Ta

yourdj
27-10-2011, 06:23 PM
I would also like to express an interest.

Keep me posted :)

Great.

I will announce details at the HDA xmas party:

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=35502&highlight=hda

Is he a Dermot O'Leary tribute act?

Keep me in the loop please.

Ta

Yes I sill think we can book him for the day:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Media/Pix/pictures/2010/12/2/1291292827266/Dermot-O-Leary---006.jpg

CRAZY K
27-10-2011, 07:41 PM
I'd be interested.

Dermit O'Leary?

Nor me:confused:

Radio / TV presenters are one thing--Dermot I believe;)

Making an impact at a Wedding or Birthday is another--if your not relying on being a household name-- as for getting them off their seats--I think the Redcoats might be the better approach;)

Once worked with Fluff Freeman--nice bloke--not a lot of use at a Disco--got the photo somewhere.

Wouldnt mind getting involved but unfortunately all my time is involved with Rodeo Bulls these days :daft:

I think you need a high profile type DJ who works constantly at the high end of the Wedding and Corporate Market--not from some show thats got everyone clapping when the studio manager tells them to !!!!

As for captivating a crowd within seconds--thats a tough one !!!!

itruby
27-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Hi Toby,

I'd be interested too.

Please let me know when you have the details...

Charlie Brown
27-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Count me in - if it's going to cost thousands, count me out. :)

yourdj
27-10-2011, 08:04 PM
I think you need a high profile type DJ who works constantly at the high end of the Wedding and Corporate Market--not from some show thats got everyone clapping when the studio manager tells them to !!!!

I am not being serious about Dermot :o

Thats exactly what I want and not a regimented red coat who looks like they have just fallen out of the South Essex. :p

The right person will turn up at the right time.
I am aware that Mark Ferrel is over here at some point doing a workshop so it needs to be a bit different.

Count me in - if it's going to cost thousands, count me out. :)

I will send you then invoice then - £999. :D

This is great I already have enough people and it only took an afternoon. :)

flatliners
27-10-2011, 08:18 PM
I would also be interested thank you

STEVE HANLEY
27-10-2011, 11:27 PM
[Once worked with Fluff Freeman--nice bloke--not a lot of use at a Disco--]

"Not Arf":D

Sorry I'll just get me coat:coat:

yourdj
27-10-2011, 11:37 PM
I would also be interested thank you

Its all in motion - should have something together by the end of next week. :)

alanrees151
28-10-2011, 06:27 AM
I would be interested in this.

Alan

DiscoMagic
28-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Also interested - me tooo :D

(dependant on cost and location) :)

Jonny Boy
28-10-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm very interested too - cost and date dependant: location not so much an issue providing it's not in Aberdeen or something! :-)

And I get exactly where you're coming from with the Mark Walsh/Dermot comparison, Toby.

For me it'd be looking to strike a balance between formalities/ettiquette and the "pop" hosting techniques.

Please keep us informed, Toby.

Corabar Entertainment
28-10-2011, 09:58 AM
For me it'd be looking to strike a balance between formalities/ettiquette and the "pop" hosting techniques.:agree:

It may even require 2 speakers: a formal toastmaster and a presenter-type. Each of us could then take as much or as little from each and combine to our own requirements and style.

yourdj
28-10-2011, 10:59 AM
location not so much an issue providing it's not in Aberdeen or something! :-)

Nice to hear it. I do agree there is a limit but;

Good training is worth traveling (and paying) for. Derek was talking about people not prepared to travel out of their
county to see him which for the cost of the workshop was complete bonkers for what you will get out of it. :)

As long as you do not have a newborn I am sure your family will not stop existing for one/two days without you :D

And I get exactly where you're coming from with the Mark Walsh/Dermot comparison, Toby.

I want someone who can strike a balance with the group and train via the individual style of each member rather than a regimented approach.
I have seen a few red coats who can do just that and am awaiting a reply.

:agree:
Each of us could then take as much or as little from each and combine to our own requirements and style.

That is exactly what I have in mind. I find you learn more from the members in groups like that and even if the content is the same on two seperate days as its a workshop the different individuals add different content each one so technically its a completely different workshop. :)

yourdj
28-10-2011, 07:28 PM
I must point out that this is verging on to an unsubscribed advertising thread so lets leave it to
anyone who knows someone who may fit the bill as a tutor/workshop leader?

Not the intention at all but when i get everything together i will pay for a space in the
classified section so you can then ask as many questions about booking and prices then :D

Corabar Entertainment
28-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Sorry, Toby - are you proposing this as a commercial venture then?

I'd got the wrong end of the stick if you are.

Charlie Brown
28-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Sorry, Toby - are you proposing this as a commercial venture then?

I'd got the wrong end of the stick if you are.

As soon as he said 'I'll send you the invoice' - although he was joking about the £999, I knew he was going to be making a bit of dosh for organising it. :)

Jonny Boy
31-10-2011, 09:35 AM
I have seen a few red coats who can do just that and am awaiting a reply.

Oh. :(
If we've got to learn the Bob The Builder dance and how to run the knobbly knees competition, then ....(to quote Duggie Bannatyne) ....for that reason I'm out. ;) :p

SERIOUSLY - role playing/syndicates would be a useful part of the process too. I look forward to seeing an agenda/course content. (And hope I can afford!)

FMI, Have you put together anything like this/training courses before Toby?

@Angela - that did make me chuckle.
Next I'll hear shock & suprise that Derek P turns a profit from his Wedding DJ seminar.
:D :D :p ;)