PDA

View Full Version : Midi player

Shaun
29-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Loking for recommendations on a mid range midi controller. Looking to spend no more than £450.

It's not for mobile use, just for playing around with at home. I just want something sturdy, with a couple of channel faders, looping, fx etc. I had a play with the pioneer ergo at BPM, and I quite liked it (except for the tacky flashing light around the platter). Didn't quite manage to have a look at the Traktor S4, I wondered if anyone had used one?

I also welcome any other recommendation. Thanks in advance. :)

Excalibur
30-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Loking for recommendations on a mid range midi controller. Looking to spend no more than £450.

In an effort to bring myself a little more up to date, so am I. ( Actually, I just want Play buttons fitting to my laptop. :D :D :D :D :D )

Proof if it were needed that Scotsmen throw their money about in a recklesss fashion compared to the more fiscally constrained souls south of them can be seen by the fact that I am looking at this slightly cheaper solution.

Numark DJ2GO: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

£400 cheaper, as well. :thumbsup:

flatliners
30-10-2011, 09:37 AM
what about this http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=stanton%20midi%20controller&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CDoQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stantondj.com%2Fstanton-controllers-systems%2Fscs4dj.html&ei=-yetTvHcGtCi8gOWvIioCw&usg=AFQjCNHfJJwrZ08sJ0NDuRNQAvMU6bmxRA&sig2=qq67Gm1_B-_mO8jU_A11jQ
Had a play at bpm and it had a nice feel to it jog wheels were nice and sturdy and felt good
or you could try the adj versadeck Brian Looks At The Versadeck from American Audio - YouTube
All with in your price range.

Disco Therapy
30-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Does the Stanton one work as a midi controller too?

Also, the Cersadeck is the same unit as the Citronic MPX-10, which you may get a better deal on?

Shaun
30-10-2011, 03:39 PM
In an effort to bring myself a little more up to date, so am I. ( Actually, I just want Play buttons fitting to my laptop. :D :D :D :D :D )

Proof if it were needed that Scotsmen throw their money about in a recklesss fashion compared to the more fiscally constrained souls south of them can be seen by the fact that I am looking at this slightly cheaper solution.

Numark DJ2GO: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Numark-DJ-to-Go-DJ2GO/dp/B004S8AU2I)

£400 cheaper, as well. :thumbsup:

Did you miss tha part where I said I wanted a couple of faders? :P The DJ2go just has a crossfader doesn't it?' Did you also miss the part where I wanted some extras (looping etc)? :P

WWDJ
30-10-2011, 04:12 PM

It's not for mobile use, just for playing around with at home. I just want something sturdy, with a couple of channel faders, looping, fx etc. I had a play with the pioneer ergo at BPM, and I quite liked it (except for the tacky flashing light around the platter). Didn't quite manage to have a look at the Traktor S4, I wondered if anyone had used one?

I also welcome any other recommendation. Thanks in advance. :)

What's your software of choice?

Shaun
30-10-2011, 04:18 PM
What's your software of choice?

I'm open to anything. I've never used DJ software before so don't have anything to compare too.

WWDJ
30-10-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm a big fan of traktor and at the price you are looking at there is the new S2 controller

Shaun
30-10-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm a big fan of traktor and at the price you are looking at there is the new S2 controller

I saw it at BPM, but didn't manage to have a play. Have you used the S2. Any thoughts on it?

Excalibur
30-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Did you miss tha part where I said I wanted a couple of faders? :P The DJ2go just has a crossfader doesn't it?'
Errr, no. :p Rotary volume controls , but technically faders.

Did you also miss the part where I wanted some extras (looping etc)? :P

OK, banged to rights. :o Did I say mine was £400 cheaper? :whistle: :D :D :D

WWDJ
30-10-2011, 07:12 PM
I saw it at BPM, but didn't manage to have a play. Have you used the S2. Any thoughts on it?

I liked it but I only had a play for a few minutes. For a Traktor user it was intuitive. I didn't spend much time looking at other controllers though to compare as I went mainly to look at PA.

The general write ups on it seem good but it would really depend on your mixing style and how you dj as it has some missing features vs the s4 (filters for instance). If you just want 2 play buttons then you probably don't need much but if you want to get into some serious mixing then you'll want to spend more and make a more educated choice.

Have a look at www.djtechtools.com . They have reviewed most controllers on there.

What is your long term plan? Are you investigating maybe going the laptop route in the future, but want to get used to it before you take the plunge at gigs? If so, I would work from the software back as that will influence your choice of controller perhaps.

DeckstarDeluxe
30-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Surely a second hand MC6000 would be ideal Shaun?

Disco Therapy
30-10-2011, 08:03 PM

is there any about?

Excalibur
30-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Easily could be.

is there any about?

Apparently.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-DN-MC6000-Controller-/190593900851?pt=UK_Mixers&hash=item2c60482133

Shaun
30-10-2011, 09:10 PM
What is your long term plan? Are you investigating maybe going the laptop route in the future, but want to get used to it before you take the plunge at gigs? If so, I would work from the software back as that will influence your choice of controller perhaps.

Long term will depend if Denon bring out a successor to the HD2500. I like using an HDD controller and really don;t want to go down the midi route for work.

The plan is to get a half decent controller solely for home use for the time being, and "see how I get on". If I do decide to go down the midi controller route at some point in the future then this 'toy' I'm buying will be used as a backup. However, for the time being I can't see me moving to midi in a gig situation for quite some time (if ever at all). I've got three hd2500's so they should keep me going for a while. I just want a half decent controller for doing a litle mixing at home on the PC.

Surely a second hand MC6000 would be ideal Shaun? That's be ideal, if I can get one at the right price.

Twinspin
10-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Pioneer DDJ Ergo id go for that.

Excalibur
11-11-2011, 10:59 AM
I myself have just bought a MIDI controller, and will keep you all posted as to my experiences and findings.

Shaun
11-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Pioneer DDJ Ergo id go for that.

The ergo did feel like a nice piece of kit when I used it. The only thing that I don't like is the silly flashing lights around the platter.

I'm still no further forward with deciding what to get. I like the mc6000 but it's a bit too pricey for just using in the house. Unless anyone is selling one?

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-11-2011, 02:18 PM
The ergo did feel like a nice piece of kit when I used it. The only thing that I don't like is the silly flashing lights around the platter.

I'm still no further forward with deciding what to get. I like the mc6000 but it's a bit too pricey for just using in the house. Unless anyone is selling one?

Step in my office Sir....:D

Would you like a price for one?

Shaun
11-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Step in my office Sir....:D

Would you like a price for one?

PM sent. :)

Shaun
29-11-2011, 12:19 AM
Well, During my visit down South to Phase Ones' Open Day I bought a mc6000. Then arrived home thinking I made the wrong decision. If I was looking for a midi player for gigging with then the Denon would be my choice out of all on offer, but I just wanted a nice toy for my home office, and loved the simplicity, feel and un-clutterdness of the Pioneer DDJ T1. So a quick call to Phase One and I upgraded my order.

Looking forward to receiving it today.

PIC (http://www.pioneer.eu/images/news/DDJ-controller/DDJ-T1_top_high.jpg)

WWDJ
29-11-2011, 06:03 AM
Well, During my visit down South to Phase Ones' Open Day I bought a mc6000. Then arrived home thinking I made the wrong decision. If I was looking for a midi player for gigging with then the Denon would be my choice out of all on offer, but I just wanted a nice toy for my home office, and loved the simplicity, feel and un-clutterdness of the Pioneer DDJ T1. So a quick call to Phase One and I upgraded my order.

Looking forward to receiving it today.

PIC (http://www.pioneer.eu/images/news/DDJ-controller/DDJ-T1_top_high.jpg)

Nice ... You blew the original budget then lol :D

Shaun
29-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Just slightly. :o :o :d

Disco Therapy
29-11-2011, 04:23 PM
I had the MC-6000 and I'd agree 100% Shaun, it was far too cluttered.

Good choice, I'd love to have a play about with one of the Pioneers

Corabar Steve
29-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Glad you only want it for home use, coz this would really annoy you if you were going to gig it. http://www.djkit.com/pioneer/Pioneer-DDJT1.html

Shaun
29-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Glad you only want it for home use, coz this would really annoy you if you were going to gig it. http://www.djkit.com/pioneer/Pioneer-DDJT1.html

To be honest, I'd rather boil my head than use ANY midi controller to gig with. I can only hope that a successor to the HD2500 comes available sometime down the line. I've got 3 Denons so that should keep me going for a while.

Excalibur
29-11-2011, 07:27 PM
To be honest, I'd rather boil my head than use ANY midi controller to gig with. I can only hope that a successor to the HD2500 comes available sometime down the line. I've got 3 Denons so that should keep me going for a while.

I partly agree with you Shaun. I'd rather use an HDC than a MIDI, but I have a growing fear that the day of the HDC is past. :( Great shame.

I feel that the MIDI is now "The Emperor's New Clothes". Were circumstances different, my preferred setup would be a MIDI controller cased up with an HDC as well. I don't think that scenario is yet imminent.