PDA

View Full Version : moving heads. I'VE SEEN THE LIGHT

tonymoss
26-09-2006, 08:46 PM
All my dmx lighting up till now has been abstract.future scans, barrel reflectors, twisters ect.
The first demo i saw of the abstract range blew me away, i bought as much as i could afford at the time, along with a haze machine, this gave me a light show that was so different to anything most people had seen in my area we were suddenly getting venues asking us to do block bookings from one private function.
After reading the theads about imove5s moving heads, i decided today to buy four, picked them up, got home and set them up on my lounge floor, (like a kid with a new toy) and WOW.
What a light show.
The four came with a basic controller, dmx leads and power leads.
The power from these lights is outstanding.
I have ordered another four with the intention of hanging four and having four on the floor.
I have been playing with them all afternoon and because of the haze our house now resembles a bad days filming on the can't cook won't cook set. lol
without your threads i would not have seen the light lol :teeth:
thanks
regards tony

Shaun
26-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Welcome to the world of "movers". I own 4 too and absolutely love them. They are nice with the ca-8 cotroller but really come into their own when you get around to programming your own light scenes. I plan on buying a few more before christmas.

HAVE FUN :)

tonymoss
26-09-2006, 09:05 PM
Hi shaun,
Thank you for your friendly welcome to the movers club :teeth:
you too must have sat back,watched for the fist time as you turned on you new toys and then.... WOW :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: I can't leave them alone.
will start programming scenes tomorrow.
tony

Shaun
26-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Yup, I was the very same when I switched them on for the first time. :) The "wife" was none too happy though. A whole day with the living room filled with smoke which left a nice grubby residue on every window for her to clean off...lol. I love new toys!.

Jiggles
26-09-2006, 09:10 PM
I WANT TO JOIN THE CLUB sob sob :cry:

tonymoss
26-09-2006, 09:13 PM
I just Love Blowing Things Up!!!

But you would only blowthem up lol :teeth:

Jiggles
26-09-2006, 09:16 PM
I just Love Blowing Things Up!!!

But you would only blowthem up lol :teeth:

Na thats just speakers lol

tonymoss
26-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Yup, I was the very same when I switched them on for the first time. :) The "wife" was none too happy though. A whole day with the living room filled with smoke which left a nice grubby residue on every window for her to clean off...lol. I love new toys!.

ooooh yeah. wife gone to bed lol :teeth:

jamesh
26-09-2006, 09:20 PM
lol yeah welcome to the club............. Love mine - went down really well last weekend too - had a young persons birthday function in a marquee.... The playlist was mainly dance music n rnb and had nothing but comments such as how i'd managed to capture the club atmosphere they wanted with not only the music but the whole lighting setup too....

on the truss had the 2 minispot moving heads with the 2 scans, 2 spins and prostar then had the other 2 moving heads secured on the bass bins.... With smoke it was amazing.....

tonymoss
26-09-2006, 09:33 PM
lol yeah welcome to the club............. Love mine - went down really well last weekend too - had a young persons birthday function in a marquee.... The playlist was mainly dance music n rnb and had nothing but comments such as how i'd managed to capture the club atmosphere they wanted with not only the music but the whole lighting setup too....

on the truss had the 2 minispot moving heads with the 2 scans, 2 spins and prostar then had the other 2 moving heads secured on the bass bins.... With smoke it was amazing.....

thanks for the friendly welcome to the movers club, when I bought these lights i thought they would be perfect for marquee, women don't understand, wife just wants a new washing machine lol. ( she's never sat and watched the eashing machine though) he he he
tony

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Hi shaun,
Thank you for your friendly welcome to the movers club :teeth:
you too must have sat back,watched for the fist time as you turned on you new toys and then.... WOW :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: I can't leave them alone.

tony

I'd agree with all of that too!

My kids think they look like little robots!

Let me know how you get on hanging them, as I've got a slight problem with mine tilting to one side slightly at the moment.

Actually, Shaun - how do you hang yours?

tonymoss
26-09-2006, 09:42 PM
I'd agree with all of that too!

My kids think they look like little robots!

Let me know how you get on hanging them, as I've got a slight problem with mine tilting to one side slightly at the moment.

Hi Darren,
Will do, lights came with backing plates so i am just going to put g clamps on them and hope that works, will let ya know.
tony

jamesh
26-09-2006, 09:43 PM
thanks for the friendly welcome to the movers club, when I bought these lights i thought they would be perfect for marquee, women don't understand, wife just wants a new washing machine lol. ( she's never sat and watched the eashing machine though) he he he
tony

Yeah they are great - early evening i had 2 of them pointing at the room for pretty patterens /colours and the other 2 pointing at the entrance walls so you could see the pretty patterns either side of the entrance to the marquee on both sides - gave people a reason to have a look in early evening to see what the pattern was...

Oh and great for karaoke - place 2 at front of karaoke area and 2 slightly back - seems to make the singers perform more as if they are live on pop idol!!! Whether that's good or bad i don't know but very entertaining at least!

They are deffo the future :) going to get another couple if not 4 in the near future i think.... Not really because i need them but think i'm going to have to leave a couple at home each time i leave so they can be shown to friends and family lol as seem to be none stop set up in the house so far.

funkymike
26-09-2006, 09:48 PM
what make or models are you on about then

jamesh
26-09-2006, 09:52 PM
who?? me??? i have the EVL Minispots.... incase it was me you were asking :P

tonymoss
26-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Oh and great for karaoke - place 2 at front of karaoke area and 2 slightly back - seems to make the singers perform more as if they are live on pop idol!!! Whether that's good or bad i don't know but very entertaining at least!

Sharon,simon is that a yes or a no lol.
we have some real bed singers on the isle of thanet lol.
I can say that coz i'm the worst :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi Darren,
Will do, lights came with backing plates so i am just going to put g clamps on them
tony

Which is what I did, but they tilt to one side.

What kind of bar/truss etc are you planning on using?

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-09-2006, 09:56 PM
what make or models are you on about then

And the rest of us use the cheapy versions... :)

The Isolution Imove 5 or Stairville if you buy them from Germany.

jamesh
26-09-2006, 09:58 PM
And the rest of us use the cheapy versions... :)

The Isolution Imove 5 or Stairville if you buy them from Germany.

I did look at the stairville ones to begin with as a mate of mine has a couple and when i saw them in action i was very impressed... Only got the EVL mini spots as got a good deal on them and they were discharge rather than halogen jobbies (which i think the stairville ones were)

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-09-2006, 10:00 PM
I did look at the stairville ones to begin with as a mate of mine has a couple and when i saw them in action i was very impressed... Only got the EVL mini spots as got a good deal on them and they were discharge rather than halogen jobbies (which i think the stairville ones were)

Leave off James, we all know you're a gear snob.... :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

jamesh
26-09-2006, 10:03 PM
how do you hang yours?

Hanging wise i just use 2 of these type clamps (http://www.terralec.co.uk/prod.asp?i=19994&1=50_mm_LIGHTING_CLAMPS) per moving head screwed into the thread on the bottom of them then a safety chain to make sure...

tonymoss
26-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Which is what I did, but they tilt to one side.

What kind of bar/truss etc are you planning on using?
I saw your thead about this,
I was going to try them on a goal post deck stand.
i also have a 3mtr goal post truss. will try them on both and let you know .
tony

jamesh
26-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Leave off James, we all know you're a gear snob.... :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Nope not a gear snob .... :p :p :p just cant refuse a good bargain..... :teeth: and can't be too much of a gear snob as still use dynamo scans sometimes..... :teeth:

Not to mention this time last year i still had pretty much nothing but sound 2 light lighing such as vasto's, JB Systems aligator etc...

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Hanging wise i just use 2 of these type clamps (http://www.terralec.co.uk/prod.asp?i=19994&1=50_mm_LIGHTING_CLAMPS) per moving head screwed into the thread on the bottom of them then a safety chain to make sure...

The trouble is, and I don't understand why no-one's mentioned this before, is that the Imove/Stairville ones only come with one hole in the base plate, so you can only use one clamp.

Shaun
26-09-2006, 11:15 PM

Up till now...I haven't. I've only ever used them floor standing and have the sequences programmed to reflect that. I'm hoping to try them " hung" pretty soon though. I've been watching your posts on "how to hang them" with interest.

Shaun
26-09-2006, 11:23 PM
The trouble is, and I don't understand why no-one's mentioned this before, is that the Imove/Stairville ones only come with one hole in the base plate, so you can only use one clamp.

I can imagine that would be a problem for mounting on trussing. I plan on using t-bars and one clamp to elevate mine.

Paul James Promotions
26-09-2006, 11:35 PM
I have ordered another four with the intention of hanging four and having four on the floor.

Yeah, looks much better with beams from the floor aswell as the truss.

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Yeah, looks much better with beams from the floor aswell as the truss.

What about 2 on the floor and 2 on the truss?

Paul James Promotions
26-09-2006, 11:53 PM
What about 2 on the floor and 2 on the truss?

Have tryed that for Karaoke, works quite nicely....

jamesh
27-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Yeah that works well - great pic!

Works well for the discos 2 - multi layer moving head lighting 2 high 2 lower :):):)

Or why not have 4 scans up high and 4 movingheads on the ground.....

Possiblities are endless :)

Mayhem 1
27-09-2006, 06:17 AM
Moving Heads eh!!!hmmmmm

Next on my list after my pa update next year (Eh Jamie :zip:)

Can anyone tel me if there is any sites where these moving heads are available to view on a video?

Digitalsounds
27-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Right

Stop right there,

Moving heads these imoves and im going to get shot down in flames here are Rubbish they are made by prolight which says a lot (cheap crap) they use a bulb that is no where near good enough to grace a moving head.

If you want moving head technologys on your show then get martin macs or robe units they are far greater products and the difference between the two is unbelievable.

And yes its the old fav' "You get what you pay for "

Thats why im holding off till i can afford the good stuff

alexperrins
27-09-2006, 09:34 AM
I think that is a bit of a sweeping statement really. It might be true that you get what you pay for but value for money wise, Prolight's iMoves are fantastic. Prolight do make some rubbish - agreed - but most of their stuff is pretty solid. I think the Dynamo set must be the most popular light on this forum (in terms of people who own one) OK, so they're not Robes or Martins but we're not in Gatecrasher you know. Unless your charging £350 upwards for every gig, which I'm sure most of us can't achieve, I'm not sure it'd be worth spending £2k on a moving head rig.

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Right

Stop right there,

Moving heads these imoves and im going to get shot down in flames here are Rubbish they are made by prolight which says a lot (cheap crap) they use a bulb that is no where near good enough to grace a moving head.

If you want moving head technologys on your show then get martin macs or robe units they are far greater products and the difference between the two is unbelievable.

And yes its the old fav' "You get what you pay for "

Thats why im holding off till i can afford the good stuff

If this is true, then why are you using a Behringer sound system?

Have you seen the Imoves? Have you tried them?

Not all of us have enough funds to be spending £1000+ per fixture.

And actually, I think you'll find that they are distributed by Prolight and not made by them at all. You can get exactly the same head in Thomann in Germany and they are badged 'Stairville'.

I'm afraid it does annoy me when people just come on and make stupid statements like this.

Yes, of course Robe and Martin are far better, but that does not make the Imoves 'rubbish' as you so eloquantly put it.

Shaun
27-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Completely agree with Darren and Alex. :)

BeerFunk
27-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Moving Heads eh!!!hmmmmm

Next on my list after my pa update next year (Eh Jamie :zip:)

Can anyone tel me if there is any sites where these moving heads are available to view on a video?
I think this is the same ones, on Decks.co.uk (http://www.decks.co.uk/products/lighting/acme/im5s)

Although, to be honest, it doesn't show them in a dancefloor situation

Digitalsounds
27-09-2006, 11:42 AM
To be honest darren yes i have seen the imoves and do think they are not made very well at all, im not saying they don't do as moving heads for the general dj/mobile disco but they are not really in the proper moving head league.

And as for my sound system i now use a Void Basys Amp which im sure some of the other users will agree is mighty fine. and the speakers to join to it will be arriving after the christmas period if not before.

And to point of the Imove 8s 250 is more like a proper moving head !

Dragonfly
27-09-2006, 12:03 PM
id agree with the martins being the doggys doodahs but for someone like myself who works alone 800 quid each is a kings ransom .... id like 2 for my show at base level that would be 1600 quid or in work terms the next 8 gigs i do being free!! i would never short change my customers and want them to have the best experience i can provide for them with out being bankrupt in the process lol

some effects give the impression of a better quality show moving heads is one of them and as long as they are doing what they say on the tin and look the part in someones special day photos im happy.

Digitalsounds
27-09-2006, 12:27 PM
id agree with the martins being the doggys doodahs but for someone like myself who works alone 800 quid each is a kings ransom .... id like 2 for my show at base level that would be 1600 quid or in work terms the next 8 gigs i do being free!! i would never short change my customers and want them to have the best experience i can provide for them with out being bankrupt in the process lol

some effects give the impression of a better quality show moving heads is one of them and as long as they are doing what they say on the tin and look the part in someones special day photos im happy.

My point exactly, even thou they do cost a kings ransom the effect is fantastic.