PDA

View Full Version : New kit advice

DJay
28-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Hi,

I purchased a Denon DND 6000 CD, Numark 200FX mixer and KamKase. It sounds brilliant via headphones and the kit is solid.

My next purchase will be speakers (tops and subs) and 2 amps, one for the tops and one for the subs. That's the easy part! My budget is £1400 MAXIMUM. No more than £1400.

Thus I have compiled a shortlist:

TOPS
Peavey Pro 15 Speakers £249
Wharfedale EVPX 15 Speakers £250
Wharfedale LX15 Speakers £850 with matching subs

SUBS
Peavey Pro 15 Subs £249
Wharfedale EVPX 15 Subs £330
Wharfedale LX15B Subs £850 with matching tops

AMPS
Numark Dimension 4 £229
Kam 2000 £270
Behringer Europower 2500 £215
Crown 402 £260

Stands & Cables £100
Amp cases £80

I'm not a pro witrh regards to pairning kit up, but I think the following kit looks good:

Wharfedale LX15
Wharfedale LX15B
2 x Begringer Europower amps
Cables & Stands
Amp Cases
TOTAL: £1380

Am sure I can get the lot for £1300.

But what do you, The Pro's think of that kit and combination? It will be used for local parties in bars or 60 to 300 people.

Thanks for your help...

Jay

magicfm
28-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Hi Djay :)

As for the amp, I use the Behringer E2500 and it was a very good buy. I can highly recommend. :thumbs_up

You can check out the specs PDF on the behringer website.

(_8())

alexperrins
28-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Welcome to the forum! :)

I'm unfortunately not a pro (far from it actually!) but I've heard the Wharfedale's and they do sound excellent. The Europower amps have got a really good reputation, I know some of the guys and girls on here have one and swear by them so I think you've got a good combination there to be honest. I'd go with the Wharfedales over the Peavey's - but that's preference not because the Peavey's aren't as good :)

With your money though I might recommend buying active speakers. I just have and they are excellent! You could do away with your amp case as well then. (Try the Carlsboro Gamma 15s or similar - Mackie SRM450s are popular-so I'm told!)

:teeth:

EDIT: Though the Mackies will be too pricey if you want a sub as well!

CRAZY K
28-09-2006, 09:05 PM
Daz and Dragonfly use Mackies so they will be able to help.

I dont think you will get Mackie Active set up ( with sub ) for that price though-think Dragonfly said the Sub was £900 for one. :omg:

I use the Peaveys you mention--dont need 2 amps as they have onboard filters in the subs.

You wont punch 2,500 genuine watts through the Peaveys--mine were matched BY THEIR TECHNICAL PEOPLE IN CORBY with the 1000 watt powered mixer. :teeth:

Well you might but they wont last long!

CRAZY K

Have a disco
28-09-2006, 10:30 PM
suggest behringer speakers price wise they are the best and the amp suits as well and I have hammered mine for past 2 years and can not fault them

Dragonfly
28-09-2006, 10:57 PM
hiya yeah i use mackies can get a 1501 on ebay now £500 which is a steal and 2 srm450s bout 550 quid with covers from decks.co.uk well worth the investment ...... just dont take em out for 50 quid a night lol

Corabar Entertainment
28-09-2006, 11:03 PM
and 2 srm450s bout 550 quid with covers from decks.co.uk no - that's each, not a pair

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-09-2006, 11:11 PM
I was going to say!

If you shop around, you should be able to get a pair for around a grand or just under.

Dragonfly
29-09-2006, 07:23 AM
sorry yes angela you are correct still a good deal tho some places 6-700 each. worth a look.

i bought a numark 200fx mixer and to my mind my old citronic sounded better ??

CRAZY K
29-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Ah well--maybe you will get two tops and one sub Mackie Active speakers for just over your budget.

Not heard of Behringer speakers being used much?

CRAZY K

DJay
30-09-2006, 08:49 AM
WOW this is more help than I expected! Most other forums take days for responses!

Folks, I really appreciate your help.

Having spoken to my two local Wharfedala suppliers, they both say "do not touch the behringer amp" and subsequently try and stear me towards an amp I cannot afford!!! Having said that, I have read circa 15 reviews on the Europower 2500 and they call the amp "a true work horse", "value for money", "better than my QSC 2450". The worse comment was "the knobs could have been better quality, but that's minor" - obviously referring to the volume controls and not Behringer themselves!

So it looks like I will probably go with the wharfedale lx15 tops and lx15B subs with 2 x Behringer 2500 amps. Will keep you posted.

Now for my next question.

I am just starting out and would like to know if people will hire me or now. DO I need PAT and PLI or can I see if things take off first?

Again, thanks for all your help!!!

Jay

spin mobile disco
30-09-2006, 11:49 PM
At very least get insurance but as all your equipment is new you shouldnt require a pat test until its over a year old (bit like an MOT in that respect).
However saying that some insurance company's may not insure you unless you have pat test certificate.

The other question people will ask is, do you have any experience. Its one matter to go out and buy all the equipment, another to know how to use it and be able to work the croud. Bill gates could afford the equipment but would you want him DJ'ing your wedding.

And have you considered backup gear incase of problems, new equipment is generally ok but I have known people take their nice new speakers, amp and decks out only to have them fail within 2 or 3 gigs. No fault of their own just untested manafacturer probs.

I tend to take my equipment down the local comunity centre if I need to test it, just plug it in and let it play for 4-6 hours then do same a few days in a row until im sure I can trust it.

Hope this helps amd welcome the forums as well.

DJay
01-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Well, 7 years radio and bar dj experience is how I would answer that! Having said that, I guess that doesn't mean I'm any good eh! I know a dj who has been playing at partys for 15 years... He's rubbish!!

Folks, am I safe (brand, model and compatibility wise) buying the following combination:

2 x Wharefdale LX15 tops
2 x Wharfedale LX15B subs
2 x Behringer Europower 2500 amps

thanks

J

alexperrins
01-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Would have thought so, but has Spin said, buying new kit doesn't guarantee reliability. Behringer are notorious for their poor build quality on some models, yet some of their equipment will last year after year. Your choice of equipment though seems a solid buy to me :) Though don't quote me on it ;)

Ricesnaps
01-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Well, 7 years radio and bar dj experience is how I would answer that! Having said that, I guess that doesn't mean I'm any good eh! I know a dj who has been playing at partys for 15 years... He's rubbish!!

Folks, am I safe (brand, model and compatibility wise) buying the following combination:

2 x Wharefdale LX15 tops
2 x Wharfedale LX15B subs
2 x Behringer Europower 2500 amps

thanks

J

Honestly? Use the Behringers myself and they are fantastic - although I would suggest you use your budget on the speakers and not two amps - I only have the one running a pair of subs and a pair of mid / tops - quite capable of huge venues!

As for the Wharefdale's, when I had a listen to them when I last upgraded I was not really very impressed, so I would say keep looking and spend a little more - see my amp suggestions.

As for what to buy, I am not a good one to suggest. I currently use Martin Mach M-flex and mach subs, which are probably out of your price range?

wensleydale
01-10-2006, 09:02 PM
i hear a lot of bad stuff abot behringer and my behringer graphi decdied to stop working the other day.
would recc the crown- we have the slightly more powerful one- plus you get a 3 yr guarantee.
would also suggest other speakers- jbl/rcfs- why do you feel you need tops and subs- why not get some that can do it all- eg rcf 312s?

rich

DJay
01-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks Alex...

Ricesnaps, I'm not sure which model Wharefdale you heard. The SVP range is pretty poor. The EVPX is good, but the LX range is as slick as a 3.2 litre V6 Jag! Not bad if you like Jags!

I have a tight budget for the speakers, amp(s), amp case, cables and speakers stands (£1400 MAX).

By the way, I have heard several versions of the answer to this question from shops I have visited. How many watts per person (RMS)??? With popular music (i.e RnB)?

Jay

DJay
01-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Rich,

Tops and subs are kinda an insurance policy. It allows me to continue some form of sound is 1 speaker dies...

Jay

alexperrins
01-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Lol, you'll find lots of different answers on that one on the forum too I'm afraid, try looking through the thread archives as I think it was discussed not long back. You'll find it'll be somewhere between 3 & 10 Watts per person. It depends on so many things, it's very difficult to say!

lightspeed
01-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Makes sense for them to tell you to steer clear of the berrys. Trying to get you to spend more money! I have a DARE V1100 and i think it's brilliant. However, Everyone I know who uses the berry europowers are extremely pleased with them! Needless to say they are no where near as good as the crown amps etc. But they're in a completely different league :eek:.

Ricesnaps
01-10-2006, 10:35 PM
Thanks Alex...

Ricesnaps, I'm not sure which model Wharefdale you heard. The SVP range is pretty poor. The EVPX is good, but the LX range is as slick as a 3.2 litre V6 Jag! Not bad if you like Jags!

I have a tight budget for the speakers, amp(s), amp case, cables and speakers stands (£1400 MAX).

By the way, I have heard several versions of the answer to this question from shops I have visited. How many watts per person (RMS)??? With popular music (i.e RnB)?

Jay
Ah well, went off Jags when you could buy a Rover that looked almost identical.

It was indeed the LX range I heard and seriously, can't say I was impressed. So much so I went away, had a think and came back with a few more pennies for the M-Flex.

The best bit of advice here is to save the money from a second amp and put it towards better speakers...

DJay
02-10-2006, 12:13 PM
I looked at the Mackie speakers but they are out of my budget! Even if I leave out one Behringer amp, that only saves me £200.

The spread of money is a little like this:

Wharefdale LX tops and Subs: £850
Behringer amps x 2 £400
Amp cases: £70
Other accessories: £80

That means with the Denon 6000, Numark 200fx and case I bought, the total spent would be £2230. Add a bit more for PLI and I'll hit £2400. £2400 was the budget fpr this project (for various reasons) and although I could add £10 pr £20 more, there is no way I can increase by 3 figures....

Thus am trying toget the best I can on the tight budget... Ohhhh the perils!!

Jay