PDA

View Full Version : Connecting a hard drive to laptop

Reminisce disco
27-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Just got myself a new WD Elements 1TB hard drive. Connected it all up to my laptop and for some reason its not being recognised by the laptop.

If i go into "my computer" it should show up under the "devices with removable storage" but doesnt.

Its all powered up fine and connected correctly.

Any advice would be great.

ianforest
27-12-2011, 10:35 AM
What sort of computer do you have?

Reminisce disco
27-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Hp pavillion g series, running windows 7, only 6 months old.

James
27-12-2011, 10:47 AM
You might have to format it i first think

Have a google for it and you should find the answer

Reminisce disco
27-12-2011, 10:55 AM
You might have to format it i first think

Have a google for it and you should find the answer

I thought these things were basically plug and play?? Why would i need to do that? Sorry to sound a bit thick!

DeckstarDeluxe
27-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Should be a power lead so you got that plugged in? Tried a different USB cable?

Reminisce disco
27-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Should be a power lead so you got that plugged in? Tried a different USB cable?

All plugged in, i cant try a different cable as it has a different connection to my spares.

DeckstarDeluxe
27-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Does the laptop make the noise that something has just been connected when you plug it in?

Reminisce disco
27-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Does the laptop make the noise that something has just been connected when you plug it in?

No, strangely it doesnt Neil.

Jiggles
27-12-2011, 11:22 AM
May i refer you to this: http://forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12229 :)

mattydinx
27-12-2011, 11:40 AM
1) With the hard drive connected, Click on the start button (or 'orb' as it seems to be called these days)
2) Right click where it says 'Computer' and select 'Manage'
3) In the box that appears select 'Storage' then 'Disk Management (Local)

You may get a prompt about one of your drives not being formatted or initialized, choose yes if this is the case (you'll want the MBR option if it asks you)

Your external drive should show up (Probably as Disk 2) in the list, as well as in 'Computer'

If it doesn't, one last thing you can check is the 'Device Manager', which can be accessed from the same window you had open before via the options on the left hand side. When there, expand the 'Disk drives' option - your external drive should show up in there. If not, click 'Action' along the tool bar at the top and select 'Scan for new hardware changes'.

Your new drive should be detected and ready to go!

If not, I'd suspect it may be faulty and it would be worth taking it back for a replacement.

Reminisce disco
27-12-2011, 11:56 AM
May i refer you to this: http://forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12229 :)

I've followed the instructions as above but it doesnt recognise the drive for me to format it.

DeckstarDeluxe
27-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Tried it on a different computer? Tried a different usb port?

Reminisce disco
27-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Tried it on a different computer? Tried a different usb port?

Just tried it on my partners laptop. Exactly the same, not recognised anywhere!

mattydinx
27-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Just tried it on my partners laptop. Exactly the same, not recognised anywhere!

I've got the same drive bud, when you connect the USB cable does the white indicator light come on?

If not, my moneys on duff cable or dead drive.

I'm not aware WD did a 'mac' version of the Elements drives as they do for the MyBook range, but check on the box that it doesn't say 'for mac' on the box.

Reminisce disco
27-12-2011, 12:16 PM
I've got the same drive bud, when you connect the USB cable does the white indicator light come on?

If not, my moneys on duff cable or dead drive.

I'm not aware WD did a 'mac' version of the Elements drives as they do for the MyBook range, but check on the box that it doesn't say 'for mac' on the box.

Matty, yep white light comes on and got the box next to me, says preformatted for Windows.

Reminisce disco
27-12-2011, 12:29 PM
White indicator light is flashing continuously

mattydinx
27-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Not a duff cable then.

Does it appear in device manager?

I've seen some drives take an absolute age to initialize in Win7 - How long have you left it connected?

sgevents
27-12-2011, 12:45 PM
I have had this with a different external hdd .. Listen to to the drive is it makin any unusual sounds.... Could be corrupt(clicking noise)

Reminisce disco
27-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Not a duff cable then.

Does it appear in device manager?

I've seen some drives take an absolute age to initialize in Win7 - How long have you left it connected?

No it doesnt appear at all and ive left it connected for ages.

Reminisce disco
27-12-2011, 12:58 PM
I have had this with a different external hdd .. Listen to to the drive is it makin any unusual sounds.... Could be corrupt(clicking noise)

When i first switch it on, it clicks around 8-10 times then is very quiet after

Reminisce disco
27-12-2011, 01:03 PM
I have had a read of the box and it clearly states:

Formatted NTFS for Windows XP, Vista or windows 7.

Reminisce disco
27-12-2011, 02:00 PM
So do you think i should return it? Or is there a simple solution out there?

mattydinx
27-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Does the drive show up in Device Manager under Hard Disks as I mentioned in my earlier post?

Mine shows up as "WD Ext HDD 1021 USB Device"

If you like, give me a bell and I'll have a look remotely for you if you wish

CRAZY K
27-12-2011, 02:50 PM
So do you think i should return it? Or is there a simple solution out there?

I think the guys have covered off most possible answers already.

I have strangely found one of my HDDs is recognised by my Laptop but not by my PC or my Cortex despite being recognised by them a week ago.:daft:

I think your unit is faulty--like mine:daft:

sgevents
27-12-2011, 03:20 PM
I think the guys have covered off most possible answers already.

I have strangely found one of my HDDs is recognised by my Laptop but not by my PC or my Cortex despite being recognised by them a week ago.:daft:

I think your unit is faulty--like mine:daft:

Agreed :)

Reminisce disco
27-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Just put my ear to the drive and although the power light is lit there is no noise at all coming from it. As i'm no expert in this field i'm just assuming it should be whirring or something?

Reminisce disco
27-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Problem solved, took it back to Comet and got a refund. Exchanged it for a 1tb HP drive, plugged in, works like a dream.
Thank you to everyone who responded and offered me such great help and advice.