PDA

View Full Version : Compering on the fly - Anyone see NYE Jools Holland

yourdj
01-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Very informal and at times a bit crap tbh (ie repeating the same words in sentences) but very efficient I think as it adds an illusion of spontinuety which is always important with live entertainment on TV especially on NYE.

Must be such a nightmare logistically working out all that live entertainment in one room!!! Very nerve racking.

People love it when you mess up LOL. They almost wait for it ;)

He fell over at the start whilst introducing the guests but ignored it and said "a guests I would fall over anyday for - he saved my life" Bet he hurt his leg but ignored himself and kept on with the job at hand. a good view to any wedding or formal event compere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0195p7h/Jools_Annual_Hootenanny_31_12_2011/

Great quick thinking :) a skill I have slowly developed from experience.
Best thing I have learnt is to shut up when I am tounge tied or not sure what to say - nothing is better than something stupid :D

So what stories do you have then?

We are all ears as there must be some funny goings on :p

visualdjmax
01-01-2012, 08:03 PM
It's not live Toby, it's recorded earlier on in the year! Lol

yourdj
01-01-2012, 08:11 PM
It's not live Toby, it's recorded earlier on in the year! Lol

How rubbish is that :(

You think they would edit out the bit where he fell over :p

I take it all back. It is just a gig LOL.

visualdjmax
01-01-2012, 08:15 PM
It was recorded earlier on in the year!!!! It always is. That's why there was also some of the same guests on Alan Carr. They left the slip in as it's comedy! Do you think all those stars would give up there New Years?

BeerFunk
01-01-2012, 09:32 PM
I must admit I didn't now it wasn't live either, I never really thought about it.

It was great though, Cyndi Lauper was surprisingly good. Jools did a very good job of linking up the acts, as well as playing piano for a lot of them. You couldn't possibly expect him to be flawless in his presentation - but then he's not just a presenter, never has been.

CRAZY K
01-01-2012, 10:38 PM
It was recorded earlier on in the year!!!! It always is. That's why there was also some of the same guests on Alan Carr. They left the slip in as it's comedy! Do you think all those stars would give up there New Years?

The amount they get paid they SHOULD.

Personally I think its a joke that supposed LIVE music programmes are recorded on NYE.

On NYE which to me is a special night when I dont work I keep well away from a TV---concentrate on enjoying the night with family, friends etc rather than watching a load of pre recorded programs or tosh going on in London.

Actualy like Jools normally but NYE is a joke.

BeerFunk
01-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Personally I think its a joke that supposed LIVE music programmes are recorded on NYE.I wouldn't mind, but they are pretending that it's live, which is deceptive.

It's much like the criticism Frozen Planet received after including footage of the polar bear giving birth to cubs, which was actually filmed in a zoo - but they sequenced the images deceptively.

Anyway, I imagine Jools still pretty much did it one take? So, if that was the case, then everything in this thread is still relevant :)

WWDJ
02-01-2012, 02:19 AM
Apparently it was recorded on 14th dec in a single take to maintain the 'live' feel.

I watched it on Iplayer so who's cheating who? :D

visualdjmax
02-01-2012, 03:45 AM
Still I thought it was very good. I have always been a big fan if his and I think that his presenting style is unique as it is normal and not polished or cheesy. I used to be a big fan of The Tube as well! (old git)

Kernow
02-01-2012, 01:43 PM
I think as it adds an illusion of spontinuety which is always important with live entertainment on TV especially on NYE.

Best thing I have learnt is to shut up when I am tounge tied or not sure what to say - nothing is better than something stupid :D

Good advice indeed, in the interests of Continuity & Spontaneity ? :p ;) :D

Shakermaker Promotions
02-01-2012, 02:01 PM
I liked The Tube too Max. I have a couple of 'Best of' DVD's somewhere. Some classic moments on there.
As for Jools Holland, I like him.

yourdj
02-01-2012, 02:59 PM

What would they do if one of the acts of featured audience members dropped dead a week before then :confused:

Why would they not give up NYE?

Its an excellent opportunity to promote themselves to an audience that the show would probably never get.
Got knows how many millions of people too? You can bet that a high percentage buy some of the tracks (I did) or talk to other people about it.
as per an audience member I would love to spend NYE there with some excellent live music. Looks like a great night out.
In fact I will look into getting tickets - doubt there is any chance though?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/tickets/tv

visualdjmax
02-01-2012, 11:32 PM
I liked The Tube too Max. I have a couple of 'Best of' DVD's somewhere. Some classic moments on there.
As for Jools Holland, I like him.

I love this, from The Tube. With DJ Greg Wilson.

1st UK DJ TO MIX LIVE ON TV - GREG WILSON ON THE TUBE - YouTube

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Gotta love those headphones :lol: