PDA

View Full Version : Radio Mics (Budget)

spin mobile disco
02-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Ok i've been requested to provide a radio mic for an upcoming disco. Now normally I use an ordinary xlr mic with a long lead for guest use at my disco's for speeches etc. Its cheap cheerful but sounds nice and crisp (walkers not the other type lol).
Thing is I dont use or want a radio mic so dont want to spend a lot of money just for one booking and then for it to sit in case for next 3 - 4 years.

So I went out and saw a VHF mic with everything encluded in box (reciever mic batteries etc). Now I havent tried it yet as I have sensetive nabours who complain whenever I turn my disco stuff on so I cant test it before Gig. I would like some opinions on how a cheap maplin £29.99 radio mic will sound, i.e will it be ok for one gig for speeches etc.
Or am I really going to regret it.
I already know a lot of peoples opinion about cheap n cheerful disco stuff and vhf vs uhf etc. What I'm asking is will this mic do the job for one night with no more than 20m range (advertised up to 50m) with new battery etc.

Opinions plz , or if you have a nice uhf mic going you can get to me before the weekend sub £30 plz let me know lol.

magicfm
02-10-2006, 08:08 PM
They are crap.. don't waste your money. Came across one one a couple of years back and it was useless. Range was poor, sound quality is very poor.

you'll need to spend more dosh for anything decent. At least £100.

:sad:

spin mobile disco
02-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Yeah I figured , but just not worth it for 1 low paying gig. Second hand anyone?

Jiggles
02-10-2006, 08:13 PM
You could be lucky on that one

I got mine for free from certain sources :rolleyes::eek:

magicfm
02-10-2006, 08:14 PM
It is a bugger just for one gig.

Have a scan on ebay.

:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-10-2006, 08:14 PM
What about hiring one?

They can be found on Ebay too - I sold an old Trantec with SM58 capsule for £50 a couple of years ago and that was fine, but a bit battered.

Jiggles
02-10-2006, 08:15 PM
ARGH not ebay

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tyYY9o6Gvyc

Danno13
02-10-2006, 08:16 PM
The KAM radio mics aren't too bad for the money.

Even if its just for one gig, keep hold of them and you never know when it might come in handy. If you're able to say you can offer radio mics for speeches then it might be the difference between someone booking you or the next guy for their wedding...

spin mobile disco
02-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Just been browsing ebay, search for uhf mic then look at the postage costs lol someone asking £110 postage etc rediculous lol. Guess ill keep looking

Danno13
02-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Or try proper retailers instead of ebay... :D

DJay
02-10-2006, 09:30 PM
http://www.gear4music.com/PA_Equipment/Wireless_Systems/Scanner_S7_Radio_Mic_and_Receiver.html

DMX Will
02-10-2006, 09:55 PM
http://www.gear4music.com/PA_Equipment/Wireless_Systems/Scanner_S7_Radio_Mic_and_Receiver.html

Was just about to suggest that. Had one of those for years, the microphone has just recently stopped working because the the wires connecting the capsule to the microphone broke and after re-soldering them several times, they contacts have given up the ghost.

Had it a good 4/5 years :)

spin mobile disco
02-10-2006, 10:14 PM
Is is a good clear sound?

Have a disco
02-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Ok i've been requested to provide a radio mic for an upcoming disco. Now normally I use an ordinary xlr mic with a long lead for guest use at my disco's for speeches etc. Its cheap cheerful but sounds nice and crisp (walkers not the other type lol).
Thing is I dont use or want a radio mic so dont want to spend a lot of money just for one booking and then for it to sit in case for next 3 - 4 years.

So I went out and saw a VHF mic with everything encluded in box (reciever mic batteries etc). Now I havent tried it yet as I have sensetive nabours who complain whenever I turn my disco stuff on so I cant test it before Gig. I would like some opinions on how a cheap maplin £29.99 radio mic will sound, i.e will it be ok for one gig for speeches etc.
Or am I really going to regret it.
I already know a lot of peoples opinion about cheap n cheerful disco stuff and vhf vs uhf etc. What I'm asking is will this mic do the job for one night with no more than 20m range (advertised up to 50m) with new battery etc.

Opinions plz , or if you have a nice uhf mic going you can get to me before the weekend sub £30 plz let me know lol.

never had any real problems with those on E-Bay for 29.99 a little feedback but thats it oh and you have to almost eat the mics to talk but apart from that they do for Karaoke or weddings should I need more than 1 mic

DMX Will
02-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Is is a good clear sound?

It's no SM58. However it's better than you would imagine for the price...if that makes sense. It will easily do you if its going to live its live in a box, and come out for the use of a 5 minute speech once in a while.