PDA

View Full Version : 'Feedback sound' through laptop

avadoo
22-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Hi has anyone else had this problem?

When connecting the laptop from the headphone socket to the mixer I seem to be getting some kind of feedback or background noise coming through. Very annoying as when its loading, it gets louder!

Just bought a usb converter to try instead but surely it shouldnt be doing it in the first place? :confused:

STEVE HANLEY
22-01-2012, 10:11 PM
A ground loop insulator can solve that problem. Loads of threads on here about it;) ;) I only use a laptop as back up in case my main playout fails, but the mixer is still operational.

The proper laptop boys on here will be able to advise you on suitable midi systems and soundcards. If laptop is the way you want to go, but using the laptops headphone socket is not a long term idea believe me

mattydinx
22-01-2012, 10:35 PM
When connecting the laptop from the headphone socket to the mixer I seem to be getting some kind of feedback or background noise coming through. Very annoying as when its loading, it gets louder!

You haven't by any chance got a built-in microphone in your laptop have you?

Does the feedback go away when you turn your volume down?

DazzyD
22-01-2012, 10:49 PM
A ground loop insulator can solve that problem. Loads of threads on here about it;) ;) I only use a laptop as back up in case my main playout fails, but the mixer is still operational.

The proper laptop boys on here will be able to advise you on suitable midi systems and soundcards. If laptop is the way you want to go, but using the laptops headphone socket is not a long term idea believe me

From the description of the problem I'd agree that the first step would be to fit a ground loop isolator between your laptop and mixer. The units I use were only a few £s each and have been worth every penny. Alternatively, get a quality external soundcard designed for DJ use as these oftens solve the "background" noise. It coule be one of a number of isues but this is the most common and obvious solution.

Gary
23-01-2012, 11:35 AM
If the "bad noise" goes away if you run the lappy on it's battery, but is audible when running on mains, it's a ground loop isolator that you'll need.