PDA

View Full Version : Mcgregor MA series or the Mcgregor SS series

salford1986
23-01-2012, 08:59 PM
What amp would you say will be better poweing my mcgregor Mytek 210 speakers, if both amps were the same watts what would you go for, and is there a massive difference between the two other than ones older than the other?

Excalibur
23-01-2012, 09:49 PM
I have no experience to speak of with these, so must bow out of the thread without contributing. Davesounds might be the sort of guy needed here.

NKR
23-01-2012, 10:05 PM
What amp would you say will be better poweing my mcgregor Mytek 210 speakers, if both amps were the same watts what would you go for, and is there a massive difference between the two other than ones older than the other?

The ss is not big enough the the MA you would need the 2000 to cover it. I have an ss500 in the garage. Its a solid little lump but at 250watts at 4ohms its not much use on an 8 ohm cab as it reduces its output somewhat.

Excalibur
23-01-2012, 10:16 PM
The ss is not big enough the the MA you would need the 2000 to cover it. I have an ss500 in the garage. Its a solid little lump but at 250watts at 4ohms its not much use on an 8 ohm cab as it reduces its output somewhat.

I reckon he's considering the 1300 size in each version. ;) Biggest difference I can see is that one is ready cased ( like most amps were, back in the day ) and the other is rack mount.

NKR
23-01-2012, 10:24 PM
I reckon he's considering the 1300 size in each version. ;) Biggest difference I can see is that one is ready cased ( like most amps were, back in the day ) and the other is rack mount.

The Mytek 212 appears to be 1000watts per side at 4ohms. Why buy an amp that is 650 watts per side at 4ohms unless you

a) Like breaking things for a giggle.
b) Like the smell of burning in the evening
c) Have an aversion to matching numbers
d) Have all of the above

The SS amp is a relic of times gone by. I have owned mine for 14 years and I bought it off some beardy bloke called Noah who said that it kept the Giraffes entertained.

Excalibur
23-01-2012, 10:29 PM
The Mytek 212 appears to be 1000watts per side at 4ohms. .

Indeed. But he's got a 210. :p :D :D :D :D :D ( and I reckon a 2000 is a better bet to match that, but hey ho. )

NKR
23-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Indeed. But he's got a 210. :p :D :D :D :D :D ( and I reckon a 2000 is a better bet to match that, but hey ho. )

Oh right fair enough.

The SS is okay as long as you don't mind using only jack inputs in an olden day stylee. The rings holding the jack sockets in place sheer off for a laugh.

The MA will probably cost more and is probably a lot of the same amp guts with them new fangled Speakon thingies.

The SS did actually come off the ark, although mine still does not miss a beat even though a couple of the ring thingies have fallen off.

Will the system biamp as that is the safest bet.

salford1986
24-01-2012, 01:16 PM
What do you think of the Peavey pv2600 if you could have a used Peavey pc2600 or new mcgregor ss1300 wat would you have

NKR
24-01-2012, 09:03 PM
I would biamp it.

Get a couple of big QSC's or even a couple of Crown XLS602's. I use both of these and they are good amps.

If you really must run solo amp then the QSC RMX 2450 would be working its nuts off, but would get there.

I don't know the peavey amp, but in terms of guts it would have enough. Isn't that what you had issues with?

Here is one for you and don't think me rude for asking. You would know what I meant when I said 0db on your desk wouldn't you. Sorry to ask, but if you didn't then we could have your clipping problem sussed.

Kernow
24-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Purely out of interest :) , what sort of gigs are you doing that require that amount of power ? :confused:

salford1986
25-01-2012, 12:17 PM
its Just i got the mcgregors which has 2 base driver on each side, if im not mistaken they take a little bit more out of the amplifier dont they?

I just want to make sure i have enough watts coming out of my amplifer and also have headroom aswell for peaks.

I know what 0db is, if you read the topic again you will see that i was having trouble not getting a indication that i was slightly clipping on my amplifier and that it just cut off, i just kept pushing my volume up and up and up until the ddt should start flickering, but it didnt....just completly shut off, now to me thats a faulty amp, it should indicate that you are going into clip as a warning to back off the volume and if it continues it should lower the volume for you, not making a fierce buzzing noise!

But like i said i took it back and the ddt was meraculously working and the shops mytek 210 speaker system.

But i took my speakers to my friends and blasted them on a mcgregor ma1300 (built for mytek 210) and it worked fine, so it aint me speakers, or my mic, or my leads or my mixer hahaha

funkymook
25-01-2012, 12:26 PM
mcgregor ma1300 (built for mytek 210)

I'd say that's the amp to get - if it's designed to go with those speakers why look at anything else?

soundmaster mobile disco
28-01-2012, 08:45 PM
I use the numark dimension 4 amp with my mytek 210s

i have also heard djs useing the new lightweight peavey amp