PDA

View Full Version : Ms Word Experts, Karaoke Song book

gharbud
31-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Right i have found a way of making my karaoke song book, ive never made one before or used one, but the past couple of karaoke's that i have done ive been asked do you have any books. Normally i just use request slips. Right so i have used a program called Directory Lister Pro, and has made a txt file which i have imported into Ms Word. The Listing looks like this

SC7577-04 - Journey - Faithfully
SC7577-05 - John Mellencamp Cougar - Jack & Diane
SC7577-06 - Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
SC7577-07 - Dire Straits - Money For Nothing
SC7577-08 - Heart - All I Wanna Do
SC7577-09 - Journey - Dont Stop Believin

Right so i now have over 60,000 tracks that look like this, how can i sort the tracks into A-Z Artist?. Im trying to find a way of moving the Disc id's to the end of the sentence but dont have a clue. Im hoping somone with some word processing knowledge might be able to help

katman
31-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Copy all the text into Notepad.

Replace all the hyphens with a PIPE symbol (above the backslash)
Save as "songlist.txt"

Import it into Excel as a CSV type file with PIPE as the field delineator.

You should then have 4 columns of data.

Cut the data from columns A and B and paste it into E & F then delete columns A & B

You then have Col A = Artist, Col B = Title, Col C = disc, Col D = track

Add a header row to the spreadsheet and you can then sort your date by artist or track and print lists from both.

Hope that helps.

gharbud
31-01-2012, 11:17 PM
How do i replace all the hyphens in bulk? Thanks

Jiggles
31-01-2012, 11:24 PM
How do i replace all the hyphens in bulk? Thanks

In Word ctrl-f Find and replace. Also you should be using a comma (,) as thats what a CSV file is... A comma separated value file. ;)

gharbud
31-01-2012, 11:26 PM
right will try now, thanks for the reply guys

katman
31-01-2012, 11:29 PM
In Word ctrl-f Find and replace. Also you should be using a comma (,) as thats what a CSV file is... A comma separated value file. ;)

You can use various characters as the separator but the problem is that there *may* be commas in the existing text which will cause the import to add additional fields. Using a "|" or "^" is something that is highly unlikely to be in the text already.

Also I would do the search and replace in Notepad using Edit >> Replace on the menu bar which will give the finished file in plain test free of some of the obscure formatting that MS Word can introduce.

Danno13
31-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Won't the original software export to a CSV? I'd be very suprised if it didn't as it's a far more useable format than a txt file, for any kind of database.

katman
31-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Won't the original software export to a CSV? I'd be very suprised if it didn't as it's a far more useable format than a txt file, for any kind of database.

Googled for it and according to the website it will do CSV

http://www.krksoft.com/index.php

DJRecardo
01-02-2012, 01:36 AM
Also have a look at karaoke song list creator. Dont think its overly expensive and it takes the hassle out of doing the books

welby
01-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Also have a look at karaoke song list creator. Dont think its overly expensive and it takes the hassle out of doing the books

worth every penny!

paulg
01-02-2012, 11:49 AM
XL is much better. Feel free to go to my website and download my listings paste your text file over the top (paste - special - values in XL)

You can then list by artist and song - there's also a serch function for disc, artists, song etc.

www.ardsleyentertainments.co.uk

Jiggles
01-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Spread sheets are the only thing I excel in. :(

DazzyD
02-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Spread sheets are the only thing I excel in. :(

Get your coat, Mr Burns, and leave right now!! :coat: