PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop

Sapphire Disco
02-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Just got a new laptop windows 7 unfortunately some of my software/ hardware won't run on it , is it possible to put XP on it as well as I really don't want to change what I'm using and would it be very costly ?

Mark Wild
02-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Just got a new laptop windows 7 unfortunately some of my software/ hardware won't run on it , is it possible to put XP on it as well as I really don't want to change what I'm using and would it be very costly ?

What software and hardware are you using that doesn't run Windows 7 that will run XP?

Sapphire Disco
02-02-2012, 01:37 PM
What software and hardware are you using that doesn't run Windows 7 that will run XP?

PCDJ RED VRM + DAC 2

I really don't want to change them I've looked at other software but none of it looks as clear or straight forward to me, I've got a DAC 3 but the problem it's 3U

DazzyD
02-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Might be a ??bit version issue. For example, the Win7 machines that I've come across all run Win7 64-bit. However, the XP machines were more likely to run WinXP 32-bit. Whilst most things work perfectly well on both 32- and 64-bit machines, there are known issues with this. For hardware, check the manufacturer's websites for update 64-bit drivers and, for software, again check with the publishers. You might find there are patches or free upgrades available. Or, check Google as you might find simple fixes on the tech forums.

EDIT

Known compatability problems but check here for a solution to the DAC-2 problem:

http://fr.virtualdj.com/forums/123890/Hardware_Technical_Support/How_to_get_your_PCDJ_DAC-2_work_on_x64_OS_.html

Edit2

Initial searches are not good as it's looking like PCDJ Red VRM is not compatible with the 64-bit Windows Operating systems. You could try the right click>run as administrator options or setting the program properties to XP Compatibility Mode but I wouldn't get too excited.

Mark Wild
02-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Yeah I think Dazzy has pretty much nailed it, even from the PCDJ angle...

http://message.pcdj.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=14356&start=10

Edit: Seems a hack might be possible, but it looks like a messy business to me.

DazzyD
02-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Yeah I think Dazzy has pretty much nailed it, even from the PCDJ angle...

http://message.pcdj.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=14356&start=10

Edit: Seems a hack might be possible, but it looks like a messy business to me.

I didn't see that. Mark's got a good point. A driver hack is not really something you should be attempting unless you really know what you're doing and, even then, there's no guarantee it will work anyway.

To answer the OP properly, there's no reason why you couldn't put a copy of XP 32-bit(if you can get your hands on one - it's been discountinued for quite a while now) on to your new laptop. You will need a (legitimate) copy of XP-bit, all the XP 32-bit drivers for your new laptop's hardware components (bear in mind, if the hardware is quite new there may not be any XP drivers for it :eek:), and a whole lot of luck!! But, also bear in mind if your new laptop has 4Gb of RAM then Windows XP 32-bit cannot recognise anything over about 3Gb so you will lose RAM capacity.

In all honesty, I'd be more tempted to put the DAC-2 and PCDJ to rest and move on to something that's actually going to work.

Sapphire Disco
02-02-2012, 02:57 PM
In all honesty, I'd be more tempted to put the DAC-2 and PCDJ to rest and move on to something that's actually going to work.

What would you recommend ?

The reason I like the PCDJ is I can see it without glasses :eek:

hammy
02-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Paul, Why dont you make another partition and install XP on it but make sure you make it bootable, When done and you turn on your lappy you will be asked if you want to boot up win7 or XP.

Jiggles
02-02-2012, 03:50 PM
From what I read that 'hack' you are only updating the firmware that allows the DAC to speak to the computer and run on a 64bit OS. Nothing hugely major imo.

Sapphire Disco
02-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Paul, Why dont you make another partition and install XP on it but make sure you make it bootable, When done and you turn on your lappy you will be asked if you want to boot up win7 or XP.

That's what I would like to do Graham , as I have my other 2 laptops are XP.
My main concern is hows it done , what's the cost and would it be posible to use the XP from the disc of one of my other computers ?

hammy
02-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Technically no you are not allowed to do it by law, anyway boot the lappy up with the XP disc in and then when it asks you where you want to install it just point it to making a new partition and then install it onto there. You can make the partition beforehand though by using computer management.