PDA

View Full Version : XP sp3 or Win 7

Daryll
07-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Yes I know I am a fan of Linux , but.....

My main play out laptop has/had Win XP pro SP3 , however its the time of year to do a complete re-install of everything , now the question is , do I carry on with XP , or do I bite the bullet and go with Win 7.

Ulrramixer will run on 7 , and I presume the drivers for the Denon 4500 will still work , any problems I need to know.

Cheers

Daryll

hammy
07-02-2012, 05:22 PM
I run on win7 with vdj and mc6000 with no troubles whatsoever.

digga
07-02-2012, 10:19 PM
It all depends on the hardware specs of your machine. 7 is quite demanding on RAM, whereas XP can run on very little. What CPU and RAM do you have?

If you do go down the 7 route, make sure you use a skin on Ultramixer that matches your native sreen resolution, otherwise you can run in to huge lag.

JAMdisco
08-02-2012, 08:29 AM
It all depends on the hardware specs of your machine. 7 is quite demanding on RAM

Agreed, whatever RAM you have for XP, you'll need at least 1MB extra for it to run similar with Windows 7.

I've used Windows 7 now for well over a year on my playout laptop and had no problems whatsoever - it does seem a very robust OS (which for Microsoft is quite unusual until they get to SP 2 or 3)

mattydinx
08-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Also bear in mind that mainstream support for XP is ending in 2014 and updates will be few and far between.
If your laptop will run it, I'd get win 7 installed