PDA

View Full Version : getting started with it..

Sam
04-10-2006, 08:52 PM
What would you suggest for getting started with this?
Is it worth expanding into.. what kit etc..

Cheers for the help!

Sam

Ricesnaps
04-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Are you asking how to set yourself up as a Mobile disco?

Sam
04-10-2006, 09:17 PM
No.. the Karaoke side of things.

Corabar Steve
04-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Hence this being in the Karaoke Forum :teeth:

Sam
04-10-2006, 10:31 PM
well yes.. thats why i didnt say it in the first place.. lol!

Corabar Entertainment
04-10-2006, 11:53 PM
LOL! Pay attention Matt!! :teeth: :teeth:

LastMinuteDJs.net
05-10-2006, 12:51 AM
Confused me as well, you're not alone Matt. Easily done when coming through the newest replies links as opposed to browsing the main forum...

Sam
05-10-2006, 11:54 AM
So.. does anyone have any advice?

Danno13
05-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Well you'll need a TV and karaoke player. Or you could use a laptop. So the equipment side isn't that expensive.

The most expensive part will be buying all your music again in karaoke format.. which is why i don't want to start doing karaoke just yet...

Sam
05-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Would a TV be sufficient or do people expect more..

Im not too sure.. I do get quite a few enquiries asking if i offer it.. but I like to mainly concentrate on weddings and night club style discos..

Would you say it is easier or harder than a normal disco?

alexperrins
05-10-2006, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't bother buying a specific karaoke player like the Numark KMX I think it is (similar model to the CDMix) as the new Bluelaser Players are better and will play virtually every format on earth. Get a nice lighweight tele - flat as possible!

Sam
05-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Ah ok.. cheers:-)

What sort of rpice range would you say the players are?
I had a look earlier and had trouble finding a price :embarasse :mad:

BeerFunk
05-10-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm sure many others would agree that the return isn't worth the investment?

However, if it's something you enjoy doing - fari enough! :)

DK Karaoke
05-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Hi AsTecDJ, In my opinion Karaoke on top of Disco is worth it, as it adds that bit extra marketable service. You would be surprised how many people want karaoke. In relation to players. You will find the newer players, the ones that play nearly all formats, including DVD's are nice and cheap etc., but they take a while to load each disc. Unlike the older sytle JVC, which is the work horse of karaoke.

We use the following:

JVC player
Kam Pro5 Mx11 Cdg player - this plays dvd's and mps also
Performeres choice cdg player pck 2000 - plays anything
Behringer eurorack mixer UB2442fx-Pro - 24 channel mixer (excellent)
1000 wat amp.
Warrier Digi-Mix powered amp/mixer
20 inch tv standard type
15 inch flat screen tv (very light)
EV 300 watt speakers
Wharfdale 400 watt speakers
Carlsbro powered monitor speaker 100 watt
AKG mics dm880 - converted to radio mics using transmitters and receivers
sennheiser mics
Warrier Rm5 wireless mic set (hands free)
Sontronics stc-5 condenser mic
600 cdg discs - 20% imported from the states
500 music discs

The major expense will be the discs, and until the digital licensing is sorted, you have to use original discs, but once you've got them, you have them for life, if you look after them.

Hope the above helps

DK

Dragonfly
05-10-2006, 12:35 PM
i found it wasnt worth it to be honest and it depends on what kind of market you are aiming at.... i bought the whole set up early last year cost around 2k ish pushed it really hard for 6 moths local paper ads in yp on my site etc and no word of a lie had 2 enquiries for karaoke from aug to xmas.

on the otherside passed a local pub the other day and they had karoke advertised mon,tue,thur,sun nights so if you like the pub side of things maybe a way to fill your week nights ........ if you can get your foot in the door?

one of the enquiries i had was for a pub 20 miles away sunday nights they offered 45 quid i said basically wouldnt even get in the car for that ... they upped it to 55 quid .... for me not worth the potential aggro.

from doing my homework when i went into it i found people only added 50 or so quid on top of a disco for karaoke so it would have taken me an age to even recoup my losses.

needless to say i ditched everything still in the boxes taped up just after xmas and took my disco in a different direction instead..... to date i can still count on 2 hands the enquiries ive had asking for karaoke. 14 months on.

best of luck with whatever you decide to do and i hope it works out for you.

DK Karaoke
05-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Hey Dragonfly, do you still have your karaoke gear? If so what do you have, and are you selling it?

DK

Dragonfly
05-10-2006, 12:45 PM
nah sold it all brand new never out of the boxes discs never played at a heart wrenching second hand price sob.

Sam
05-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Hi guys,, that you very much for all the help!

I guess the cheap option maybe to go for a pc based program / runner thing or maybe even get a dvd player playing into a tv.. with the tv rigged up to the sound system.. then they could choose there own songs?!

As i am currently buying two moving heads.. i think i will not venture into this market.. seems to costly.

soundscapes
06-10-2006, 10:49 AM
In all honesty theres not much money in karaoke anymore, if i didnt allready have mine i wouldnt consider getting into it now. most of ur karaoke work is pub work, and due to the low prices people are willing to pay i dont put much lighting out. cheapest place for karaoke gear is karaokedirect.

Sam
06-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks for that info :teeth:
I think I will leave it for a bit!

Unless anyone can sell me secondhad gear? :)

julesd
07-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Karaoke disco is quite a different animal to straight disco 1st you realy should be comfortable singing yourself.
2nd how will you react when a drunken partygoer starts swinging your sm58 through the air like a cowboy believe me it happens
3rd you have to be able to comunicate on a personal 1 to 1 level sometimes with drunken people who have no thought for your equipment safety of others they start shouting and getting abusive
not trying to put you off but as a night club dj or party dj you dont realy have to have as much contact with the punters as when you do karaoke
plus as others have said its buying a cdg collection updating books regular printing slips weekly not a idea to be taken lightly not trying to put you off i have done both for 10 years just trying to let you know what your letting yourself in for whatever you decide good luck ! jules

Have a disco
07-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Am slowly backing out of this market as a view to going into doing DVD music nights but am going to hold on to my discs just for the odd Karaoke Disco I do but straight out Karaoke is a nono in my books its old hat and its very dead or stale to most in this area we have 1 guy whom does it but thats it no one else bothers anymore

Sam
07-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Cheers for the feedback..
I always thought there was a bigger market to be honest..
But i guess if people want it they can go and buy one of these cheap things from argos or a PS2 disk if it was just for a party instead of booking a KJ

Have a disco
07-10-2006, 03:37 PM
you can buy an alba dvd75 from sainsbury's for £20 and use top quality karaoke discs on them now including the likes of sunfly and it plays normal DVD's as well and mp3 discs so in a sense the karaoke market has been killed by the industry its self by making it to easy to get hold of and accessable for all. I even believe the new PS3 will be able to play them as well as the newer more secure divX discs that will be the death null of the industry