PDA

View Full Version : Lights for a starter...

DJay
05-10-2006, 07:25 PM
Folks,

I have a question that should challenge you!

In December/January I will be purchasing my first set of DJ lights and some sort of controller if needed.

Is it possible for me to get some lights (to get me going for a few months) for less than £400? I may even need a stand to mount them on.I do not want items from Ebay! I note that looking here http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr38.html it seems extremly possible!

Be interested to hear your wise thoughts, particularly the types of lights I should be looking at - I hate traffic lights!

Jay

charlie
05-10-2006, 07:35 PM
hello mate.

Depends if you want to go for lights that are sound to light (no control will go to the music) or DMX which can be controlled with a controller or most will work on sound to light.
Sound to light lights are probably best, you can just plug them in and away they go!
I use a mixture of both. try www.thomann.de they have good prices on a lot of things.

Hope that helped a bit!

Addicted 2 Bass
05-10-2006, 07:38 PM
I would recommend the Prolight 'ACME Dynamo' Scan set for £300 odd http://soundlightuk.com/Prolight/dynamopartypack.htm or the Zoom version of the scan set, 'Scatscan' scan set for £289 http://soundlightuk.com/Zoom/scatscan4.htm

???

Josh

DJay
05-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Thomann are in Germany right? So if something goes wrong you're stuffed with sipping costs?

Thames Valley Discos
05-10-2006, 07:39 PM
have a look on here for ideas
http://www.discoworlduk.com

Thames Valley Discos
05-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Thomann are in Germany right? So if something goes wrong you're stuffed with sipping costs?
No your not. They collect via ups if under warranty.
I buy all my higher value goods from them

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-10-2006, 07:50 PM
A couple of Datamoons is a good starting point. They can be had for £250 for a pair with case and are linkable master and slave and are DMX. Great colours and they are 250W. Highly recommended.

Also, have a look here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DOUBLE-MUSHROOM-LIGHTING-EFFECT_W0QQitemZ190036193781QQihZ009QQcategoryZ149 84QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem I've never used them, but I've heard they are very very good for the money.

I wouldn't really worry if things are DMXable because the likelyhood is, that as you improve your show, you will get new effects and gradually upgrade the old ones.

DMX is nice, but not the end all and be all.

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Datamoon package here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NJD-DATAMOON-KIT-2-EFFECTS-FLIGHT-CASE-LEADS-NEW_W0QQitemZ270003305704QQihZ017QQcategoryZ14984Q QssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Dragonfly
05-10-2006, 07:57 PM
300w mushroom effect ive been told are well worth their 40 quid price tag and a set of acme dynamos at 349 if you can stretch to 500 then a stand should be possible as well.

Dragonfly
05-10-2006, 07:59 PM
datamoons are great i run 4 of them never had a problem in 4 years ..... although was talking to a retailer the other day about replacing a couple of them and was told to maybe look at a few other products as the quality of the datamoon is not what it was due to cheap manufacture.

Sam
05-10-2006, 08:20 PM
ACME tomahawks and patriots.. get two of each and then a goal post rig.. sorted for starters.. then expand into the world of dmx and all that jazz.

I also had some colour blades when i started,.. but you would have to buy them second hand now or get them cheap in clearence somewhere as source no longer around.

DMX Will
05-10-2006, 08:24 PM
the double mushrooms?

GOOD LORD, amazing, I have two in the garage. Had them years well worth the $.

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-10-2006, 08:30 PM
the double mushrooms?

GOOD LORD, amazing, I have two in the garage. Had them years well worth the $.

How come they are in your garage if they're so amazing them Will? :teeth:

Sam
05-10-2006, 08:33 PM
That is his place of worpship! lol

DMX Will
05-10-2006, 08:38 PM
How come they are in your garage if they're so amazing them Will? :teeth:

All my kit, with the exclusion of my desk some of my dmx stuff is in the garage :D

Sam
05-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Best place to keep it!!
Is your garage full with your kit then? lol

Dragonfly
05-10-2006, 08:41 PM
WHAT ABOUT the acme ishow is3?? any good?

DJay
05-10-2006, 08:44 PM
OK, to summerise we have the following and/or options:

1. Prolight Concept dynamo scan pack (x4) with controller £339
2. Acme dynamo scan pack (x4) with controller £349
3. Zoom scat scan (x4) with controller £289
4. Mushroom lights (http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SK150451.html) £40

I guess the stand to house 4-6 such lights is around £60?

Which is the better brand (i.e which is the Denon of lights?) the Zoom, Acme or Prolight?

Jay

DMX Will
05-10-2006, 08:48 PM

Which is the better brand (i.e which is the Denon of lights?) the Zoom, Acme or Prolight?

Jay

the TLC price is ex Vat :sad:

Sam
05-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Your missing the most obvious one!!
Get two of these packs: PATS AND tOms (http://www.djbox.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=110_116_164&products_id=3370&osCsid=879dbf69c8dab518d96ceb2a2356741e) which would be £250 for 4 lights.. and these let you fix gobo to one place etc.. and are very good lights for a starter... yet very easy to use.

And then get a RIG (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=17792&criteria=PRO%20Lighting&doy=5m10) for 60.. making 310.. your lighting sorted... (leaving you up to 90 for things like a smoke machine)

I swear by these as a first starter kit.. they are great

DJay
05-10-2006, 09:02 PM
FOrgot to add £80 or so for a flight case! Pats and Toms look like a good deal! Do they move around and provide a host of lighting effects?

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-10-2006, 09:02 PM

Jay

Prolight are the distributor of Acme and various other products. They do cheap and nasty effects as well as better made effects.

Zoom are a company who evolved from Source and to be honest, I'd much rather go with the Acme stuff.

Also. the Datamoon or any other goboflower will give you a lot more coverage then scanners, which ever make you go for.

Sam
05-10-2006, 09:13 PM
These acme (pats and toms) are superb mate.. they are both mirror lights.. and they move to the music.. and you can set the gobo to one.. or change to the music or to constantly flick through gobocolour.
You can also change the rotation of the image to always rotate / no rotate / rotate to music.. so as you can see for a basic it light it gives you nice control (when i did weddings with just them I used to switch the toms to white flower.. looked great for the first dance)
The mirror makes the image move all around the dance floor.. because it splits into four 'bits' (the pats are one big image) so it gives variety.. to make sure you cover the floor area you can point the toms in different locations.. and then i find putting the pats upside down (will take a pick if you want) gives them a further range.. in addition to these i did have two colour blades but these just go around with a few coloured dots so your not missing much.

So yes i am rather fond of these lights as they were the first ones i got.
Phheeww!

FOrgot to add £80 or so for a flight case! Pats and Toms look like a good deal! Do they move around and provide a host of lighting effects?

DJay
05-10-2006, 09:15 PM
OK now for the "pratt of the day" question! What is a 'gobo'????!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-10-2006, 09:17 PM
A gobo is what the light projects onto the floor or ceiling etc.

They can be all kinds of different shapes or colours and some even rotate.

Sam
05-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Good question.. i didnt know when i started.

It is the 'picture' if you like.. so you have a purple FLOWER or white FOOTBALL or red ROSE or something like that.. so basically it is just the image that is being progected on the floor. But because these are not DMX lights you control the gobo & colour at the same time by a switch on the 'bottom'

(oh.. i was beaten to it!

Corabar Entertainment
05-10-2006, 09:18 PM
This might help:- http://www.answers.com/topic/gobo-lighting

DJay
05-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Folks,

It's been an educational evening! I had no idea that with a small budget of £400 I'd have so much choice!!

These four light kist are on my shortlist.

Thanks again :)

Any further advice on this post will be most welcome and appreciated...

Jay

Sam
05-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Just remember the PATS AND TOMS are the best ;-)

But you also need a rig.

And of course the sound system lol

DMX Will
05-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Just remember the PATS AND TOMS are the best ;-)

But you also need a rig.

And of course the sound system lol

Go revise!

Sam
05-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Dam... yes mummy!!
Anyways im off for the night,

Ciao!

Corabar Entertainment
05-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Night! :sleep:

DMX Will
05-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Don't let the bed bugs bite and all that...

Sam
06-10-2006, 07:19 AM
haha.. thankfully they didn't

DJay
06-10-2006, 07:32 AM
Morning all!

Once lights such as the Tomahawk or Patriot have been hooked up to a goal post stand and raised, is it wise to have a controller so you can toggle the lights on/off?

If so, how much does such a unit cost and how many lights can it control (bearing in mind I have a budget of £400 for lights, case, stand etc)?

Also, with regards to the lights that we have discussed, most of them come in sets of 2 or 4, when the 4 lights are on a stand, do they have to be doing the same thing (i.e a circle, then a beam, then a flash etc) in synch or can they be doing different things irrespective of what the next light along is doing??

So far we have the lowest price of £250 for 4 lights, £60 for a goal post, £X for a flight case. That's circa £370. Then, the cheapest set here (Toms and Pats) will need a controller... Now sure how much that is, so I guess we're on circa £470 all in?

Jay

soundscapes
06-10-2006, 10:43 AM
ca-8 simple controllers for these fx are about £30

soundscapes
06-10-2006, 10:45 AM
WHAT ABOUT the acme ishow is3?? any good?

dont know about the ishow 3's but the 4's look amazing. was going to buy a pair until i found the same lights branded as stairville ( but still work with ilead controller ) on thomman for £100 each !!! will let you know wot they r like when they arrive next week

Ricesnaps
06-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Morning all!

Once lights such as the Tomahawk or Patriot have been hooked up to a goal post stand and raised, is it wise to have a controller so you can toggle the lights on/off?

If so, how much does such a unit cost and how many lights can it control (bearing in mind I have a budget of £400 for lights, case, stand etc)?

Also, with regards to the lights that we have discussed, most of them come in sets of 2 or 4, when the 4 lights are on a stand, do they have to be doing the same thing (i.e a circle, then a beam, then a flash etc) in synch or can they be doing different things irrespective of what the next light along is doing??

So far we have the lowest price of £250 for 4 lights, £60 for a goal post, £X for a flight case. That's circa £370. Then, the cheapest set here (Toms and Pats) will need a controller... Now sure how much that is, so I guess we're on circa £470 all in?

Jay
You still sound a little confused and I wonder if a little clarity would help?

Most effect lights of this sort of price will work quite happily on there own - simply plugged into mains and do there stuff with music playing. There are then two types of methods of connecting lighting together. Generally you will either get "linkable" or "DMX". Linkable simply means that you can link the two lights together, DMX means that the lights are controlled by an industry recognised standard and can be controlled in a number of ways. If you can, DMX is generally the better option. To really confuse the issue, there are even cheaper effects which are simply stand alone and won't link to anything.

There are a couple of things to do with your lights. Most of them (and I guess the ones you mention are no different) will work quite happily linked to another identical light. So you should be able to link the two pats together with no problem. This gives you an advantage over the option in the first paragraph (simply plugging them in on there own) as the two lights will "talk" to each other and when music is played they will either do exactly the same thing or compliment each other - it does look better than having two effects doing there own thing! In general, to simply link the two together they need to be the same effect. However, you may also find that similar effects from the same range are compatable with each other. So from what I can see the toms and pats are the same effect but with a different mirror, which would mean you can simply link all four together and they will do a better version of what I described for two units!

It all gets a little more exciting with external controllers. With a set like this and others, there is a simple option which has been suggested - this is called a CA-8 controller. It has a jack plug on one end which plugs into one of your effects. The other end had a small hand held box with three buttons on it. The top one will swith the lamp on and off and the other two will perfom some basic functions. Maybe one button will freese the gobo, or one will slow the patters down etc... It's a cheap and simple solution and probably the one I would suggest if you really want it.

DMX control is all a little more involved. Basically, it allows you to controll a combination of effects, which are not necessarily made by the same manufacturer and create a complimeting show with them. I'm sure someone can explain more if you need them to, but honestly, don't worry about that just yet!

I would suggest that you need 3 DMX leads - they are the three pin microphone lead type things - to go with your choice of lighting and if you really want it a CA-8 controller. Nothing else!

alexperrins
06-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Excellent advice. What he said :teeth:

groovy-nights
06-10-2006, 11:14 AM
The Pats And Toms are plug and play effects only control is by 2 switchs on the bottom of them.

musicinmotiondi
06-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Have you looked at Martin scx500 scanners - £525 a pair for real quality and maybe you could get them even cheaper here on the net

CRAZY K
06-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Rice-im really glad you told me the name of that funny little thing with 3 controls that I plug into my Dynamo Scanners :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Seriously it is useful for simple effects--especially if you want to drop the angle on the scanners so they are not blinding people all night :sad:

Stairville eh? saw their moving heads in a Wetherspoons Pub in Northampton this week when we nipped in there for lunch.

CRAZY K

Sam
06-10-2006, 11:28 AM
The only thing I used to switch them off / on was a power bar with seperate on/off switches for all the plugs.

Your are misunderstanding what the toms and pats are.
They are PLUG AND PLAY with two swtiches on the back to change rotation and colour/gobo this is all. You do not need / you cant get an external controller for these lights.

ALL you pay is the 250 and 60 for the goalposts.. the only other costs would be for a haze machine.. maybe 50 quid to 70

I can take video of pictures of my toms and pats later if you want

Morning all!

Jay

Corabar Entertainment
06-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Have you looked at Martin scx500 scanners - £525 a pair for real quality and maybe you could get them even cheaper here on the net...but DJay is on a tight start-up budget and is looking to spend £4-500 in total: including leads, cases, etc so £500 for 2 lights is really WAY over his budget.

Martin lighting is something that people can build up to, rather than buying at the outset, IMHO. (Anyway, I think we've been etremely unlucky, because the lighting effects that we've had the most trouble / least luck with have been either Martin or Abstract! ...... whereas we've never had any trouble with Acme)

alexperrins
06-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Despite the Looney Tunes name, I would recommend them. Acme are certainly my vote for the best value for money lighting co.

Sam
06-10-2006, 11:38 AM
And he doesn't really need advanced lights to start with IMO.. he doesn't even know if it will work out

DJay
06-10-2006, 02:14 PM
I feel a family coming together here!

Angela, Sam... You're right... It's a tight budget...

I just spent £830 on a Denon 6000, Kamkase and Numark 200fx. This week I will spend £835 on Wharefdale LX15's and LX15B's. Next week I will spend £215 on a Behringer 2500 amp, £30 on Cables, £25 on Behringer headphones and £40 on an ABS amp case. So far that's £1975.

In the following 8 weeks I will spend another £215 on another Behringer amp (as long as I am happy with the first one), £40 on a ABS case, and as close to £400 as possible for lights, controoller (if needed), light flight case, goal posts etc. Grand total will be £2600. That leaves me with £150 or so for PLI. Hitting my budget of £2800 MAX!

So Martin lights are out of the question!!

With the Toms and Pats, would you just hook them up to the goal post, switch them on and leave them? If so, that's not up my street. I would prefer somethinbg I can control a little more.

Again, advice is always welcome :)

Jay

alexperrins
06-10-2006, 02:20 PM
I'd recommend somehthing like the Acme Pumas if you are on a budget. 2 head pack with the basic CA-8 controller is £195.
http://www.ebdj.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?product_id=10613
I bought these myself not long ago and they are great for the money. Leaves you with another £200 to play with for a couple of scanners or something similar. £250 stretches you to a couple of Rovers, which again are controlled by your CA-8. Though I think I'm right that you can link everything up and they work as master/slave. Little bit over, but I may be getting closer!

djbigdevs
06-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Why don't you go with the Acme Dynamo scanners. You should be able to get 4 scanners, leads & CA-8 for £330 or less. Then if you were to buy the Acme DMX Master which is £109 & Acme flight case for the scanners I sure you could get all that for under £500 especially if from the same place!

alexperrins
06-10-2006, 02:22 PM
No point getting the Acme controller for the just the Dynamos though, might as well get a centrepiece instead and come to DMX when your happy with your lighting.

djbigdevs
06-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Forgot you wanted stands aswell. So scrap the DMX Master controller & get either 2 separate Tbars or 1 goalpost. This is £499 (sure you could get it cheaper).

alexperrins
06-10-2006, 02:30 PM
£150 for PLI is a huge budget. If you subscribe to the Musician's Union like myself you can get all their fantastic info on Tax and there is a small section on contracts as well - plus PLI and £1000 worth of gear insurance for about £8 a month. This is all upgradable if you want to insure specific items.

djbigdevs
06-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Dynamos : (£325)
http://www.discostudio.co.uk/item.php?upn=5780

Stand : (£35 or £69)
http://www.discostudio.co.uk/item.php?upn=2971
http://www.discostudio.co.uk/item.php?upn=1472

Case : (£80)
http://www.discostudio.co.uk/item.php?upn=4937

£440 or £474

DEMO :
http://videos.djanddiscostuff.com/demos/party%20scan.wmv

Sam
06-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Hi Mate
With the pat and toms you just hook them up.. and turn on.. they are duty cycle so you alternate (have 3 on at one time) or if you want you can have them all on.

I used to set it up so they where all on white or what have you for slow songs and all different colpour for fast songs.. but you have to do that on the back of the light and not on a controller.

And for a set up they are great lights.. dont make it too complicated for your self.

alexperrins
06-10-2006, 04:23 PM
with all due respect, I think buying lights which have DMX capability is always going to be important. Even if you don't utilise the DMX capacity to the full, there is no point buying lights which don't have full DMX control, only to want to get better ones 6 months down the line and having to replace everything. Plus get lights with no-duty cycles, you don't have to worry about switching them on and off then. :)

DJay
06-10-2006, 05:02 PM
I just had a look at this link from djbigdevs http://videos.djanddiscostuff.com/d...arty%20scan.wmv

Those lights seem a tad basic. They just seem to be powerful lights that dance around and change colour... Have I missed something?

Anyone know if there is a demo of the Acme Dynamo scan? i.e I'd like to see this in action: http://www.discostudio.co.uk/images/shopimages/5780.jpg

Thanks

jay

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-10-2006, 05:30 PM
That was the demo of the Dynamo scan!

That's why I keep talking about Datamoons, as with scans you don't get loads of coverage.

DJay
06-10-2006, 05:55 PM
OK, I'm getting my wires crossed. In the demo movie, it was just lights moving around. But in the still picture it has a patter in the floor.

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-10-2006, 06:06 PM
OK, I'm getting my wires crossed. In the demo movie, it was just lights moving around. But in the still picture it has a patter in the floor.

That's because the demo didn't show the gobos being projected.

I'll try an example for you.

In the picture, the two centre lights which are Twister 4s (Goboflowers) are projecting beams through the smoke and then you can see the gobos on the floor.

With scanners, you get the same sort of effect, but the gobo will only be a single pattern instead of multiple patterns that you get from the goboflower.

Scanners are generally going to be brighter because the beam is single and not split as the goboflowers are.

This photo is a good example because the scanners are 100W Dynatwins and the flowers are 250W Twisters.

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-10-2006, 06:12 PM
And here is a better example of how the Twister 4s look without smoke being projected onto a dance floor.

DJay
06-10-2006, 06:42 PM
OK so in one of these pictrures you have strong lights and some patterns :) I have just been told (on the blower) that the Acme Dynamo Scan will also do strong lights and patterns... Was he telling the truth?

Jay

Sam
06-10-2006, 06:47 PM
yes.

Ricesnaps
06-10-2006, 06:47 PM
OK, Jay, Daz is absolutely right here. Forget scans until you have a bit more money. If you go back to the 2nd picture that was posted, imagine just one of those patterned dots on the floor, maybe about twice the size and nothing else. That's what a scanner will do. If you just use scanners, even with smoke, you will end up with a dark dance floor as the scanner will move about and not throw light "over" the dance floor.

Acme are great, best to stick with them. I also use Chauvet - some may say they are not as good, but I have always been happy. Something like a Fascination would be a good buy - Acme do there own version, identical but I forget the name. I also have a pair of Acme Lynx (or are these Chauvet, I forget!), which weren't really expensive and have a huge spread. Go for this type of effect BEFORE considering scanners!

djbigdevs
06-10-2006, 06:48 PM
These are similar to the Dynamos, this gives you an idea of the 'patterns' (gobos) that are in the dynamos.

http://www.discostudio.co.uk/images/shopimages/4782.jpg

Ricesnaps
06-10-2006, 06:49 PM
yes.
But maybe you asked the wrong question. They do lovely patterns and colours and a quite bright for a small light.

What you needed to ask was do they cover a large area of the dancefloor?

The answer would of course be no.

Please forget the scans for now!

Ricesnaps
06-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Anyone got a picture of a dancefloor with just a scanner projected on it so the poor lad can grasp what we're trying to tell him?

Sam
06-10-2006, 06:52 PM
There must be one somewhere..
What about the rovers.. if he is after dmx lights get a set of them .. the mirror 'barrel' gives a great effect

djbigdevs
06-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Dynamos
http://www.terralec.co.uk/product_images/prd{12DDC7D9-B4C3-429E-9DFF-E1C9C08C6E9B}.jpg
http://www.terralec.co.uk/product_images/prd{3E3567E4-5FB8-4631-9E84-3D32CC7D2B93}.jpg
http://www.terralec.co.uk/product_images/prd{E7961071-C871-4C43-A49E-043FC44DFB6B}.jpg
http://www.terralec.co.uk/product_images/prd{6C0DFB66-D814-4717-85C1-AE20DFA17A15}.jpg

djbigdevs
06-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Gobo flower type effect
http://www.discostudio.co.uk/images/shopimages/4680.jpg

Ricesnaps
06-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Not quite a fair comparison, but this is ALL you get with a scan

Sam
06-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Which may seem great.. but not the best for discos..
although they are great when you have them in a chain they still dont fill the whole floor..

djbigdevs
06-10-2006, 07:07 PM
I don't have a gobo flower (gonna get some in the future).

Are the gobos projected on the the floor (from a flower) the same size as those from a scanner?
Or are they smaller?

alexperrins
06-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Would agree with Rice and Darren here. You are best getting a Datamoon type effect to start with. If the Datamoons are over budget, the Acme Pumas are a good alternative. This moonflower/gobo style will give you a bit of fill on the dance floor and you'll have twisting effects which are 250watt and nice and bright. To compliment this you could then get a couple of scanners/barrels which will give you some more movement around the dancefloor.

The Dynamos are only a 100W each which I think are their main downfall. Also they can be a bit quick and this is difficult to combat without a good bit of DMX programming, which you'll need a good controller for. You are best going with the Rovers/Winners as they work with the CA-8 and do some nice slow swooping effects and give you a lot more control and look excellent with/without smoke.

Failing that the Fascination is a nice centrepiece, but again these are twisting rotational effects so make sure you keep everything balanced. There are many good lights which are similar including the cubist and kaleido, both are 250w (there are HID versions with a long life bulb and discharge meaning they are a lot brighter)

All depends on personal preference at the end of the day though. :teeth:

djbigdevs
06-10-2006, 07:10 PM
All depends on personal preference at the end of the day though. :teeth:

Also depends on the type of gigs he will be doing (or planning on doing).

soundscapes
06-10-2006, 07:35 PM
im using my lovely hid kaleido as we speak and its bloody bright !! prob shouldnt be surfing while im working :)

DJay
06-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Shamone!! Now I like those pictures and they look pretty cool... Amazing, just a small budget and a pack of 4 lights with so many ways/patterns of projecting light/images...

Most of my gigs will be for 60 to 150 people. They will mostly be based in bars with dancefloors for occasions such as wedding receptions, charity functions and birthdays.

I am in your debt folks.... If I can help IT of domestic sound/audio wise, please ask...

Ricesnaps
06-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Shamone!! Now I like those pictures and they look pretty cool... Amazing, just a small budget and a pack of 4 lights with so many ways/patterns of projecting light/images...

Most of my gigs will be for 60 to 150 people. They will mostly be based in bars with dancefloors for occasions such as wedding receptions, charity functions and birthdays.

I am in your debt folks.... If I can help IT of domestic sound/audio wise, please ask...
So do I take it from that you have ignored our advice and are going to buy a set of scanners?

By the way, do you know anything about car audio?

alexperrins
06-10-2006, 08:14 PM
Lol. Remember they are only pictures! :teeth:

DJay
06-10-2006, 08:19 PM
No no no!! I am going to ask the folks at my local dj store to demo some of the lights you have all mentioned. I guess I know what the masses are saying, so now I just have to see them in the flesh :)

Car audio... Now you're talking my languange! Ask away.... And remember, Pioneer head units rock!

By the way, is there any easy way I can print this entire thread?

Jiggles
06-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Jay,

Go to thread tools and view printabe version

Ricesnaps
06-10-2006, 08:42 PM
ok, my merc vito has a few bare wires where the head unit goes. what do I need to get my blaupunkt to work - it only has spade connectors at back

Corabar Entertainment
06-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Just a suggestion.... you 2 might want to start a new thread for this discussion :teeth:

soundscapes
06-10-2006, 08:58 PM
are those revo dab adaptors ne good ? and can u do me a gud price ;)

Corabar Steve
07-10-2006, 01:04 AM
Acme Wildtech range (http://www.prolight.co.uk/category_products.php?hdnMainCategoryID=153&PHPSESSID=d396f8d8631a101a5ef190ebf0a7372d)

DJay
07-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Hi Ricesnaps. Most modern cars have an ISO block where the head unit should go. This is a rectangle plastic fitting (about the size of a match box). All the wires from the battery, speakers etc are pre-wired into this block. The idea being that when you want to change the original head unit, you simply pull the unit out, unplug the ISO block connector and connect it into your new head.

However, some head units have slightly different fittings, so you need an ISO block convertor from Halfords.

Finally, if you have just wires hanging out, that would suggest two things: 1. You have a very old car. 2. Someone has removed the head unit and cut the block off (not very sensible). If this is the case, you will have to find out which wires are for what. Most of the time they are common, i.e red is live, blue is earth etc.

Please let me know if you need more help....

Jay

DJay
07-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Steve, thanks for the wildtech link.... Most of these effects look like my dads shirts!

Jay

Corabar Steve
08-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Steve, thanks for the wildtech link.... Most of these effects look like my dads shirts!

JayIs that a good or bad thing? :teeth:

DJay
09-10-2006, 07:42 AM
Ricesnaps,

Having possibly damaged the internal amplifier of your head unit, it may be perminantly damaged or blown and internal fuse. In nearly all car head unit installations, there is a fuse (visble) between the battery or ignition cable on the ISO block and the head unit. Thus if the fuse blows it can be easily replaced. Having said that, if you beleive the head is defeinetly blown, you have three options:

1. Take it back to a dealer to have a look
2. Consult the manual or open the unit up to see if there is an internal fuse which can be replaced. If this is a cassette (rather than a CD) be careful not to disslodge the cassette flap spring. CD players will not have this issue.
3. Buy a new head unit - If you need a 2nd hand Pioneer face off with MP3 (boxed) I have one for sale...

Have a look here for some more info on wiring a car head unit:
http://www.bcae1.com/headunit.htm

Let me know if you need more help...

Jay

Ricesnaps
09-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Ricesnaps,

Having possibly damaged the internal amplifier of your head unit, it may be perminantly damaged or blown and internal fuse. In nearly all car head unit installations, there is a fuse (visble) between the battery or ignition cable on the ISO block and the head unit. Thus if the fuse blows it can be easily replaced. Having said that, if you beleive the head is defeinetly blown, you have three options:

1. Take it back to a dealer to have a look
2. Consult the manual or open the unit up to see if there is an internal fuse which can be replaced. If this is a cassette (rather than a CD) be careful not to disslodge the cassette flap spring. CD players will not have this issue.
3. Buy a new head unit - If you need a 2nd hand Pioneer face off with MP3 (boxed) I have one for sale...

Have a look here for some more info on wiring a car head unit:
http://www.bcae1.com/headunit.htm

Let me know if you need more help...

Jay

Thank for that - Mods, firstly an apology for hijacking this thread, I did send a PM.....

I have replaced the fuse and still nothing, although to be fair I have left the manual somewhere and the stupid thing has no indication which in the ON button, so I have pressed and held down all of them and combinations, but there is the slight chance I just haven't done the right thing!

Anyway, it's a DEH-2800MP. Taking back to the dealer is not possible as bought while gigging in Peterbrough on Saturday and not likely to be back there for a while. Have talked to our engineering manager at work (I work in a food manufacturing company) and he has said he has a guy who can have a look for me.

Further to that I think I'm OK with the whole ISO wiring bit now. Bought the connector with the unit as I didn't have on in the van and the wires are all marked up. My problem was not knowing which one was live in the van - which is really my fault because I was a little too keen - 5 mins to dig out the multimeter and we'd have been fine! So now have the ISO plug wired to continuous live, negative return and the speakers (I bought a pair of Pioneer to go with it!). I had an old Blaupunkt cassette unit in the house, so wired that up and it works fine - so I know my ISO connector is correct now!

What's the unit you have? Any pics or details?

How much?

Corabar Steve
09-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Don't worry Matt, I think it had run it's course anyway (however if anyone wants to make any further on topic posts........) :teeth:

groovy-nights
09-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Have a look at the martin mania lights i use the ef-3 100 watt bulb but very very bright £139 each.

DJay
09-10-2006, 06:04 PM
The martin mania are way over my budget!

DJay
09-10-2006, 06:07 PM
I have a Pioneer 7500MP (boxed with manuals). The unit is in full working order. Cost me £250. I also have a 12" Pioneer sub (MDF boxed) and a Ininity Kappy Amp.

£250 for the lot. £150 for the Pioneer 7500MP.

Sam
09-10-2006, 06:08 PM
yeh.. bit much for a 100 light imho

Sam
09-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Jay,
Found this today.. might be of interest to you.
Especially as you see it all working.
http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3796

DJay
12-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Folks,

I had a look at the Acme Dynamo.... I need a tad more help, unless I missed something... Is there a simular pakcage with light power above 100watts per bulb? Within my budget off course! The light on the Acme dynamo seemed a tad dimmer than I had hoped...

soundscapes
12-10-2006, 09:24 PM
acme winners, 250w. pricier tho or go for i-rock scanners (@£120 each on a certain german site)

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Folks,

I had a look at the Acme Dynamo.... I need a tad more help, unless I missed something... Is there a simular pakcage with light power above 100watts per bulb? Within my budget off course! The light on the Acme dynamo seemed a tad dimmer than I had hoped...

Have you seen them in real life or just on a picture or video?

I had the Dynatwins and they were pretty bright.

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Or Acme Super Scimitars - £99 each at Discoworld http://www.discoworlduk.com/

soundscapes
12-10-2006, 09:30 PM
i run the dynamos alongside irocks and theres not much in it in terms of brightness, beams dont seem to throw as far tho

DJay
12-10-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm on edge, very excited and need a beer tomorrow! I ordered my Wharfedale LX15, LX15B's, 2 x Behringer 2500 amps! So all I have left to buy are lights... Will probably go with the Acme Dynamo as the kit does what a starter needs it to do... Any advice on where it is available at a cheap as chips price? DJandstuff have the kit for £335

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-10-2006, 09:48 PM
£330 here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACME-DYNAMO-SCAN-4-HEAD-SCANNER-SYSTEM-GREAT-VALUE_W0QQitemZ190036413765QQihZ009QQcategoryZ1498 4QQcmdZViewItem) :teeth:

dj-jaym
13-10-2006, 10:28 AM
£330 here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACME-DYNAMO-SCAN-4-HEAD-SCANNER-SYSTEM-GREAT-VALUE_W0QQitemZ190036413765QQihZ009QQcategoryZ1498 4QQcmdZViewItem) :teeth:

319 inc del ! plus they will price match !

and they have stock unlike others !

http://www.ukdj.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=19460&HS=1

DJay
24-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Folks, is it better to order a Dynamo scan 4 head kit or two Dynamo scan twins? The twins are lighter and may look neater, but if 1 head dies, you end up sending a twin head back for repair! Whereas if one of the 4 head kit dies, you still have 3 lights left.

Any views?

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-10-2006, 10:08 AM
I owned the Dynatwins for a while and bought them for ease of use and set up, to be honest.

I think the singles would be more versatile though.

Dragonfly
24-10-2006, 10:14 AM
dynamos .... i find the twins heads are too close together and the dynamos chuck out more light for your money and the problem you mentioned one goes down you have lost 2 heads.

Dragonfly
24-10-2006, 10:15 AM
i bought 2 dynamo packs one rarely gets used and most ive ever needed is 6 of them.

DJay
24-10-2006, 10:20 AM
You have 8 dynamos in total?? ****! that sounds blinding! Do you use any other lights to compliment the dynamo?

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-10-2006, 10:20 AM
i bought 2 dynamo packs one rarely gets used and most ive ever needed is 6 of them.

Should have bought one Dynamo pack and one Dynatwin then Dave :teeth:

Dragonfly
24-10-2006, 10:32 AM
daz did think of that looked at 4 dynamos and a dynatwin as a centrepiece but when next to each other the dynatwin was nowhere near as bright (know the lamps are the same but trust me they werent) i use is3s and is4s to compliment the dynamos and also just got 2 imoves for larger venues i use 4 ishows and 6 dynamos.

DJay
24-10-2006, 10:39 AM
AT my wedding the DJ had a light that had our names rotating on a wall (with some hearts in it too!!!). What type of light allows words to be projected????? I guess it's bug bucks???

Corabar Steve
24-10-2006, 11:19 AM
AT my wedding the DJ had a light that had our names rotating on a wall (with some hearts in it too!!!). What type of light allows words to be projected????? I guess it's bug bucks???
Not really, we use one of these, this is the first site I found when googleing. They can be got cheaper. (http://www.getinthemix.co.uk/dj-gear.html?SCREEN=scrListProductItem&nProdID=1077&PHPSESSID=275f508370189a7496bdcfb096ea1ce2) The gobos can be expensive though.

DJay
24-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Steve,

I guess you then have to get a custom made gobo with your text? How much does that cost and where do you get one made?

Corabar Steve
24-10-2006, 11:45 AM
We've only used the standard "congratulations" or "happy birthday" gobos so far, I'll dig out a couple of links for you in a bit for custom ones

Corabar Steve
24-10-2006, 11:54 AM
These were at PLASA

www.yl-optics.com

www.goboland.co.uk

www.rosco.com

I haven't actualy looked at any of these sites yet, but I hope they help

DJay
24-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Folks,

Firstly, no one locally (Harrow) has stock of the Dynamo 4 head kit. Not many online have it in stock until mid November. Is it a bad idea to order from a company hundreds of miles away? If the unit does ever go wrong, would it be cost effective to send it back via courier? It's my only concern about buy items from companies far away...

Dragonfly
24-10-2006, 04:05 PM
personally id buy locally within 3 months 5 of my 8 heads had gone back for one reason or another and after my trusted shop that ive used all along fixed them under warranty (trusted workmanship) ive not had a problem. thus my advice wait and buy local.

groovy-nights
24-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Dynamo 4 head kit i have been told 1st of december from a local store

DJay
26-10-2006, 08:24 PM
OK - I have been offered my first disco in 5 years! Well, I guess getting back into the business means this was imminant! Thus I am in dire need of lights. I do not want to rent so I have 3 options:

1. Buy an Acme 4 head Dynamo kit from a company that is 300 miles away and risk having to post them back if they break
2. Buy an acme DYNATWIN x 2 kit from a company 150 miles away and risk having to post them back if they break
3. Buy a different light kit from a company down the road

Any suggestions?

Corabar Steve
26-10-2006, 08:26 PM
What's available down the road?

DJay
26-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Hi Steve,

The only company I know of near where I live (Harrow) is www.decks.co.uk. I guess I could ask them if they have the Dynatwin? Failing that I'm not sure which other lights/stand/case/controller fit my budget of £450

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Decks is a decent company - you won't go far wrong using them.

Dragonfly
26-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Decks is a decent company - you won't go far wrong using them.

ive used them loads always very reliable

DJay
27-10-2006, 05:07 PM
I am being offered the following LOCALLY!! Is it good:

2 x Dynatwins
1 x CA-8
Cables
Lamps
1 x Case for the lights
1 x ProLight Truss Stand
1 x Behringer EP2500 Amp

The lot, NEW with a 2 year warranty for £670

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-10-2006, 11:37 PM
I am being offered the following LOCALLY!! Is it good:

2 x Dynatwins
1 x CA-8
Cables
Lamps
1 x Case for the lights
1 x ProLight Truss Stand
1 x Behringer EP2500 Amp

The lot, NEW with a 2 year warranty for £670

Is that from Decks?

DJay
28-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Hi Daz,

Yes, its from Decks.... What do you think?

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Hi Daz,

Yes, its from Decks.... What do you think?

Not a bad deal, and as I said they are a reputable company.:)

symo
30-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Did you haggle with decks. I got my Ep2500 for about 170.00 plus VAT. But I have ordered no end of equipment from them in the past. HAGGLE in store at end of their day, I used to live in South Harrow and Decks is not far away at all.

DJay
31-10-2006, 08:11 PM
This is just a BIG BIG Thank You to everyone on this thread. I finally received my DynaTwin lights, case, Truss Stand and CA-8 today.

I am very happy with the lights.

Thank you all VERY much....

Corabar Steve
31-10-2006, 09:03 PM
Cool, it's good to know the forum helps it's members :approve: