PDA

View Full Version : Digital Diary

Steve 'B'
06-10-2006, 03:34 AM
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone knew of any software that would enable me to bin the diary for the lap top and PDA. I need a solution where I can put a booking and all relevent details on a certain date but it seems all PDA's have the same lay out for the diary section. They are aimed at you average office bod, not 247 mobile jock.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Richie
06-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Anyone know a solution to this

alexperrins
06-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Hi Steve :)
What system would you be running your digital diary on? Are you looking for something similar to Outlook but more versatile?
Why not introduce yourself in the newbies area as well while your here so we can get to know a bit more about you?!

:teeth:

Thanks

EDIT: I misunderstood the question - did you want a stand alone machine for your diary? Like a PDA? If you run a mobile with the Windows Mobile OS system already on it like the o2 XDA it has Outlook on it in mobile form. Plus you can synchronise it with your Outlook at home if you are out and have to update it on the move. If you are on a Mac system I'm lost though!

Steve 'B'
06-10-2006, 01:57 PM
I want to buy a PDA but I am not sure what one to get. I am looking for people to suggest the perfect answer...if any. I also run outlook express on my PC so if anyone can help with that, it would be great.

All the best,
Steve

alexperrins
06-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Well the O2 XDA range are supposed to be good, but then you'd have to be on o2. Obvioulsy the Windows mobile OS is for mobile phones! It depends if you want to use it as a phone as well. Have a look at

http://shop.o2.co.uk/shop/o2uk/jsp/handset/SelectHandset.do?pageMode=null&paramName=&prodID=consumer%3AO2%3AXDAMini%3AGROUP&x=15&y=5

If you didn't want an o2 phone there are other models on the market. But I would have thought it would be the easiest way to do it, especially if you already have Outlook at home (IMO this is the best a diary is going to get - though others might use ither programs!)

DMX Will
06-10-2006, 03:23 PM
I would have recommended the HP HX4700. I have it, and swear by it. At the moment I only use it to mark discos, and sometimes the venue, as we have a web interface for bookings etc. Although im looking at editing my software to add an outlook event with the booking details in the "notes" section. Don't think it can be that hard!

leighinstoke
06-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Just one hint with your PDA - keep it charged up and on its cradle when not in use.

I had a HP one which was superb - bluetooth and wireless internet - and I thought I'd never be let down by it - until I left it unused during the school summer hols - and picked it up on the first day back in September - to find every single piece of information and appointment gone. Sold it a few days later and now use my Motorola A780 phone as a replacement!

Leigh....

Steve 'B'
06-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Hello Will,

That is exactly what I want. Software designed for DJ's that I can modify to suit my needs. I dont think you can modify the diary section on the HP HX4700 can you??

soundscapes
06-10-2006, 08:18 PM
just by soulbook for ur pc, it controls ur diary, prints confs and basicaly does\ everything

DMX Will
06-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Just one hint with your PDA - keep it charged up and on its cradle when not in use.

I had a HP one which was superb - bluetooth and wireless internet - and I thought I'd never be let down by it - until I left it unused during the school summer hols - and picked it up on the first day back in September - to find every single piece of information and appointment gone. Sold it a few days later and now use my Motorola A780 phone as a replacement!

Leigh....

This happens to me quite a bit, as I'm lazy in putting it on charge. Never a problem though as it just needs to syncronise with my exchange server, and its fine, the only boring bit I have to do, is install my customised theme and install a peice of lighting control software.

DMX Will
06-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Hello Will,

That is exactly what I want. Software designed for DJ's that I can modify to suit my needs. I dont think you can modify the diary section on the HP HX4700 can you??

I doubt it, however, My method would include a web based page creating a calender appointment with the correct details. It would then *probably* have to be manually imported into your calender for sync with your PDA. Not too much hassle for the amount of information though!

Another way round it which I may explore, is copying the event details you want to import to Outlook into another table in a database, and then running a bit of VB code that downloads the content and shoves it in Outlook for you.

Will.

Danno13
07-10-2006, 12:06 AM
I use Outlook 2003 along with my Orange SPV M1500 (which is identical to the O2 XDA II).. its alot more flexible than you think.

Eeach booking goes into the calendar and is linked to any contacts associated with it. Theres a massive notes section for each appointment too so you can write down anything you need to know for the booking. You can also attach any booking forms you have saved on the computer although i don't know if these would transfer across onto the PDA.

Another handy thing is you can pull up any contact in Outlook and see all appointments and emails etc. associated with them so its great to look back through client emails for any specific details you might need to know for their gig!

Steve 'B'
07-10-2006, 03:49 AM
Does anyone know of anyone who can write this software for me for the PDA and PC??

Cheers

Danno13
07-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Errm.. yeah, microsoft already have.. Outlook and Active Sync is what you need.

Steve 'B'
08-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Can you alter the diary settings to suit your requirements???

DMX Will
08-10-2006, 11:19 PM
Steve, you don't seem to be on the same wave length as us!

Outlook offers a calender with several fields

Subject/Event Name
Start Time
End Time
and
A large place to write/copy notes (ie a booking form from Word etc)

You can also set several extras to help organise yourself:
- Contacts (tends to be contacts involved - ideal for storing a client's telephone number and email, and saves you searching for them, as it's listed with the event.
- Reminders - Set outlook/your PDA to remind you about the event, you can select how many minutes/hours/days before the event starts that it reminds you.
- Categories - Allowing you to set it to "Disco" or "Sound re-inforcement" etc

I've included a picture of the main Outlook window with the popup for adding an event into the calender with this post. Have a look if your unsure.

To add an event, click the "Calender" tab on the left hand bottom side of the main outlook window. Then select "Month" (button at the top of the main outlook window) and then find the date of the event, and double click on the empty space for the date. The box shown in the screen shot will then appear.

Hope this helps, and doesn't patronise you.....too much ;)