PDA

View Full Version : Which DMX Desk

groovy-nights
06-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Adding aload of moving head profile washes and a laser led pars etc to the show next year.Need full dmx control. Looking at getting a zero 88 bullfrog or Jands Hog 1000.

Sam
06-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Full being..

Have you looked at the ACME DMX Master?

Sam

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-10-2006, 12:25 PM
You're gonna spend almost 4K on a DMX controller?

This can't be for mobile disco use surely?

Sam
06-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Get something simple!!
Have you used DMX before?

groovy-nights
06-10-2006, 12:36 PM
i am aming more at big wedding doing loads of wedding faryes next year.Putting in more of a over the dancefloor nightclub style rig.Yes astec i have used dmx loads.the desk i am looking at are 1024 channel. do not think the dmx master will run the full rig.I will be after loads of advice on this project.

Sam
06-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Ohhh coool.. thought you were just starting out :embarasse
How many DMX lights will you have..

jamesh
06-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Well why not go down the Computer DMX route? On a stable system its as good as any DMX Desk, and cheaper AND you have the added benifit of not having to set all the lights up to program it as most of the DMX software have a 3d visualiser on it..

Sam
06-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Yeh.. sounds like a good idea..
You can either pay for one (plus usb converter) or get a free package which works fine.... I am looking at doing this in the future.

Sam

alexperrins
06-10-2006, 01:13 PM
I don't envy you carry either one of those around. IMHO using one of these for anything other than install is very amibitious, but if you think you can pull it off then go for it. I like James's idea if i works, certainly the PC would be easier to program, and i bet you could link it in with videos as well if that's something you are interested in.

jamesh
06-10-2006, 01:19 PM
i know it works :) It's what i use for the bigger functions!

alexperrins
06-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Lol, what program do you run out of interest?

david-ives
07-10-2006, 08:49 AM
please can anyone help me im not sure if this is the right way to do this but how do you set up the dmx lighting and where can you get the end piece for the lastlight in the series

djbigdevs
07-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Is this what you mean?

http://www.jpleisure.co.uk/item1709.htm

lightspeed
07-10-2006, 10:43 AM
I think if you were going down the Zero88 route, you'd definitely need a dedicated lighting op as you'd certainly struggle on your own being a DJ and a lighting jock! :eek:

Have a disco
07-10-2006, 10:53 AM
try sunlight they do computer dmx control not sure where the cd I had of theres went but had a demo version of it somewhere

groovy-nights
07-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Ok Units I will need to control are
6 evl pro spot 575
4 evl led 36
12 led par 56's
not seen the laser yet but looking for a ture rgb one.

jamesh
07-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Lol, what program do you run out of interest?

Well i have on my system Freestyler DMX but also been playing around with sunlight which i am starting to like a little better than the freestyler.

DMX Will
07-10-2006, 03:25 PM
At least your thinking Zero 88. However if your not going to employ a lighting tech, you'll need something a little bit more simple. So yes a PC option is the best way forward.

Providing you can fit those fixtures into one universe get the Das Light software. Best out there, no question. Personal experience with it, and I love it.

If a big desk is the choice, get the Frog 2 :D

jamesh
08-10-2006, 01:45 AM
but you say daslight Software is the best BUT have you tested others or just used Daslight? I thought Freestyler was the best considering it was free BUT i've started looking at others and although not a great difference it does depend on what you want to do with the software. Is it just for discos or more advanced stuff?

Plenty of packages out there it just depend on what situation you want to use it in as to what is the best software.

DMX Will
08-10-2006, 10:45 AM
but you say daslight Software is the best BUT have you tested others or just used Daslight? I thought Freestyler was the best considering it was free BUT i've started looking at others and although not a great difference it does depend on what you want to do with the software. Is it just for discos or more advanced stuff?

Plenty of packages out there it just depend on what situation you want to use it in as to what is the best software.

I've tried both freestyler, the old freestyler, various VB creations, a couple of external USB to DMX boxes and the sweetlight software (after the review in Pro Mobile)

DasLight came up on top.

Paul James Promotions
09-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Look for a good deal on Martin LightJockey. You should be able to pick up the USB dongle for around £800, and it will run from any decent PC / laptop.

I'm yet to find a better control system in that price range.