PDA

View Full Version : iColour

Sam
06-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Has anyone used the iColour.. i was look at the iColour 3 (the one with three colours.. not 4) and they seem pretty good...

Sam

soundscapes
06-10-2006, 08:20 PM
they are incredibly bright so u really need to mount em very high up but well worth the money

Corabar Entertainment
06-10-2006, 08:24 PM
These have been discussed several times on here before: you'll find some people hate them, some love them.

We love them! :teeth: :teeth:

Sam
06-10-2006, 08:25 PM
oh sorry....

With the brightness.. can you not change the dimmer settings?
Sam

Corabar Entertainment
06-10-2006, 08:25 PM
they are incredibly bright so u really need to mount em very high up but well worth the moneySo long as you get them with the controller (which I would say is a MUST) you can dim them to whatever brightness you want (which is one of the things that we love about them), and control the colours completely

alexperrins
06-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Search the threads matey, this is a question I asked not long ago! (Quick before Darren gets you writing lines! ;))

If you can't be bothered however, I was going to buy them but saw them in a demo room and wasn't convinced. They are a nice light, but not worth the money IMHO. You'll need to buy the CA-32 Colormix controller to get the best out of them, otherwise you'll have no way of dimming them (as Simon said they are v. bright) as a couple of ppl have said on here, a bit like 4 security lights in 1 box with colours)

EDIT: Sorry I'm slow!

Sam
06-10-2006, 08:26 PM
^^ thats just what i though!

Do you have the special iColour controller?

Corabar Entertainment
06-10-2006, 08:27 PM
^^ thats just what i though!

Do you have the special iColour controller?Yep :)

Sam
06-10-2006, 08:52 PM
cool.. it looks good.. do you use it with the IC3 or the IC4 lights?
And does it do everything you want it to etc.

Corabar Entertainment
06-10-2006, 09:36 PM
iColor 3's - and yes, we find them very versatile because you can have it as bright or as low as you want, can choose any colour (from memory, I think it can produce 32 colours) or you can have it run through on a spectrum mix so that it gently moves through all of the colours providing a nice wash on the dancefloor.

You can also use them to provide great band lighting if you are working with live entertainment, or if you need the 'house lights' up for any reason (eg raffle during the night or whatever) you can put them on white light and up full and you don't need to get the venue staff running around messing with the main lights in the middle of the evening.

They are not 'effects' in themselves, but they provide great color wash / background lighting to compliment the effects you have

Sam
06-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the reply..
I am really looking at getting them for band lighting.. as have had a few enquiries..

I dont suppose you / anyone has some pics.. and would be interestes to see them splashing over the dance floor too .. dont worry if you cant..

Thanks again :)

Corabar Entertainment
06-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Got some on the PC somewhere.... I'll see if I can dig them out later.

Sam
06-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Also how many do you have.. and do i have to buy a stand with them to make them floor mountable

DMX Will
06-10-2006, 09:59 PM
And im the one who hates them :teeth:

Sam
06-10-2006, 10:02 PM
how come?

Corabar Entertainment
06-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Also how many do you have.. and do i have to buy a stand with them to make them floor mountable2 on a rig (but we run more than 1 rig)

They can be mounted on any lighting bar: we mount ours on top of the bar (one at each end) and they are well out of the way of the other lights then

Sam
06-10-2006, 10:51 PM
ah i see.
Have you ever floor mounted them?

Corabar Entertainment
06-10-2006, 11:08 PM
ah i see.
Have you ever floor mounted them?Not entirely sure I understand what you mean... surely they are either on the floor, or they are mounted!

If you are asking have we ever just put them on the floor, then no.... and I wouldn't advise it either.

Sam
06-10-2006, 11:24 PM
sorry thats what i meant but you need a special stand apparently

Corabar Entertainment
06-10-2006, 11:26 PM
:confused: Sorry - you've lost me now!

Corabar Steve
07-10-2006, 01:21 AM
sorry thats what i meant but you need a special stand apparently
No
If you are asking have we ever just put them on the floor, then no.... and I wouldn't advise it either. Er actually Angela I have :embarasse You can floor mount them, they have 2 brackets which you can fold out and ues as legs (pretty stable but as Angela says, I wouldnt advise having them on the floor for dancefloor lighting(easily kicked), unless you can situate them somewhere safe eg in your tripod legs. Would be OK for floor mounting on a stage for use with bands though)

ligeti
30-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Anyone managed to operate these using a different DMX controller or lighting board, or do you have to use the proprietary CA-32 controller?

Paul James Promotions
01-07-2007, 01:43 AM
Anyone managed to operate these using a different DMX controller or lighting board, or do you have to use the proprietary CA-32 controller?

Hi and welcome to the forum. Please feel free to introuduce yourself in the 'newbies' area :D

In answer to your question, when I owned a pair of the Icolors, they happily ran from my PC controller, as they are standard DMX protocol. Therefore will happily run with any standard DMX controller.

Regards,

Jamie

Corabar Steve
02-07-2007, 09:01 AM
In answer to your question, when I owned a pair of the Icolors, they happily ran from my PC controller, as they are standard DMX protocol. Therefore will happily run with any standard DMX controller.

Still working well with their own controller too.

jamesh
02-07-2007, 11:11 AM
hmmm why not look at led pars instead? For the price of a pair of the icolour 3's and the controller you could buy 4 led par 56's and a basic dmx controller for them.

My reason for asking is that ok they wont be quite as bright BUT will still give enough light when on white for speaches or raffles etc but don't get anywhere near as hot and take half the power to run than the icolour. You can also do slow colour scroll and the same if not more colours than the icolour too...

Sam
22-09-2007, 02:05 PM
never got any of these in the end as I bought my pilot 250 moving heads instead and some scanners.

Anyway.. coming back to the idea of these now..
I have heard that each unit should have its own power source? Is this true?
Cheers :-)

Corabar Entertainment
22-09-2007, 02:14 PM
In one word.... no. :D

Sam
22-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Good!
Although would this vary between the 3s and 4s?
*brain is muddled* haha

Corabar Entertainment
22-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Can't tell you anything about the 4's, I'm afraid.... but I don't see why!

Although beware - there is also an iColor 3000, which also has 3 lights...... now that IS bright!!!!!!! Be careful not to confuse the two!!!!

Sam
22-09-2007, 02:25 PM
okey
thanks for all your help :-)

I'm currently in contact with a chap called Ian.. a great supplier who I have used before.. (ebdj.co.uk) .. firstly trying to get info .. and to get a discount :-D

Corabar Entertainment
22-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Good Luck! Keep us posted! :)

DMX Will
23-09-2007, 01:44 AM
*sing to the tune of jingle bells*

la-la-la, la-la-la, i hate i-cul-ors, der der der der der ;)

main reason is (as I didn't answer you about a year ago) they're a flood light, so have nasty sharp edges (as in light output, not the actual units). They're also quite bright to be chucking right at an audience. It's a bit like sticking 4 garden security lights together and putting 4 different colour gels on them (RGBY)!

Corabar Steve
23-09-2007, 07:20 AM
*sing to the tune of jingle bells*

la-la-la, la-la-la, i hate i-cul-ors, der der der der der ;)

main reason is (as I didn't answer you about a year ago) they're a flood light, so have nasty sharp edges (as in light output, not the actual units). They're also quite bright to be chucking right at an audience. It's a bit like sticking 4 garden security lights together and putting 4 different colour gels on them (RGBY)!

Could you not figure out how to dim them Will? :sj:

DMX Will
23-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Could you not figure out how to dim them Will? :sj:

eh? They still create horrible lines! And still like 4 garden flood lights....dimmed. lol.

Sam
23-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Cheers for the reply..
What do you mean by the sharp edges? :-)

(I wasn't planning on using them at the audience - maybe thinking about backlighting?! )

Sam
23-09-2007, 11:14 AM
What about something like this

http://www.thomann.de/gb/showtec_rgb_theatre_spot.htm
http://www.csi-france.com/telecharge/showtec/50463-RGB%20Theatre%20Spot_en.pdf

Anyone had any experience with it?

DMX Will
23-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Cheers for the reply..
What do you mean by the sharp edges? :-)

(I wasn't planning on using them at the audience - maybe thinking about backlighting?! )

With a par can or frensel you get a soft beam edge, don't you. the light just doesn't stop suddenly, it sort of fades off at the sides.

Now if you look at a profile which has been focussed so you get the blue halo edge, sharp and defined (probably like your followspots) that is a sharp edge. The floods, and all asymetrical (Strand Coda), and symetrical floods (Strand Nocturne) have this sharp edge, except you cannot loose it. There are no focussing tools of any flood except for the obvious pan/tilt and barn doors on some models.

Corabar Steve
23-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Can't say I've ever noticed. Always use 2 with the barndoors wide open. Looks ok to me & I doubt the punters would notice if I don't.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Can't say I've ever noticed. Always use 2 with the barndoors wide open. Looks ok to me & I doubt the punters would notice if I don't.

Well I was a punter and I noticed they were too bright. ;)

Corabar Steve
23-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Not at one of my gigs.

Anyway I was talking about Will's sharp edges not the brightness.

I usually have them on about half power for the gig then whack them full on, on white at the end if the house lights haven't been put on by a member of staff.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Not at one of my gigs.

Don't start Steve. I'm going back to my original point that I thought they were too bright.

Corabar Steve
23-09-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm not starting. It's down to the DJ or light tech. if you run them on full all night they can br bright, but they can be dimmed.

(& it was originally Simon's point :ner: :sj:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-09-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm not starting. It's down to the DJ or light tech. if you run them on full all night they can br bright, but they can be dimmed.

Yes, but as Will says...

eh? They still create horrible lines! And still like 4 garden flood lights....dimmed. lol.

Sam
23-09-2007, 12:22 PM
]What about something like this

http://www.csi-france.com/telecharge...%20Spot_en.pdf

And..
Does anyone have any experience of buying DEMO stuff from thomann?

And how much different would you think 33 LEDs would make?
A bit like..http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_par_64_alu_schwarz.htm

DMX Will
23-09-2007, 01:16 PM
]What about something like this

http://www.csi-france.com/telecharge...%20Spot_en.pdf

And..
Does anyone have any experience of buying DEMO stuff from thomann?

And how much different would you think 33 LEDs would make?
A bit like..http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_par_64_alu_schwarz.htm

How many percent extra is 33 LEDs work it out like that. Say theres a 100 LEDs in a 56, and 130 LEDs in a 64 can. That's 30% extra light output (numbers just for ease and not correct)

Sam
23-09-2007, 01:24 PM
How many percent extra is 33 LEDs work it out like that. Say theres a 100 LEDs in a 56, and 130 LEDs in a 64 can. That's 30% extra light output (numbers just for ease and not correct)

ah cool thanks for all your help will :-)

I'm thinking that the stairville 64 with 150 leds would be ok.. and it has a gel holder for a frost / diffuser type gel.

DMX Will
23-09-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm thinking that the stairville 64 with 150 leds would be ok.. and it has a gel holder for a frost / diffuser type gel.

Exactly, Not sure how well it would actually work as the diffusers tend to kill half the light. If you end up with some, maybe you could let me know :)

Sam
23-09-2007, 01:32 PM
okey,
I am being a cheap git i have to admit and only looking at the stairvilles.. the only thing im slightly concerned about is that the 56 seem to have 3 more leds than the 64..

But they are smaller.. so not exactly sure which would be best.
Im not really after it to light up a floor.. just either a 'visual effect' or something to uplight walls.. if you get me?

DMX Will
23-09-2007, 01:46 PM
okey,
I am being a cheap git i have to admit and only looking at the stairvilles.. the only thing im slightly concerned about is that the 56 seem to have 3 more leds than the 64..

But they are smaller.. so not exactly sure which would be best.
Im not really after it to light up a floor.. just either a 'visual effect' or something to uplight walls.. if you get me?

I see what you're saying, i think people have said before that the 56's are actually better than the 64s.

Are you on Skype? If not, get it! You're the kind of person I like to have on Skype for these conversations!!

Sam
23-09-2007, 03:03 PM
lol. I have it on my pc.. somewhere.. so i'll dig it out in a mo:-)
Normally on msn though..

I'm also guessing that if the PAR didn't do a mix of colour that you wanted - (maybe pink?! ) you could have it on full white and put a pink gell in.. if thats what floats your boat haha.

DMX Will
23-09-2007, 03:22 PM
lol. I have it on my pc.. somewhere.. so i'll dig it out in a mo:-)
Normally on msn though..

I'm also guessing that if the PAR didn't do a mix of colour that you wanted - (maybe pink?! ) you could have it on full white and put a pink gell in.. if thats what floats your boat haha.

I guess so, although you'd get a brilliant white. Much like a HID lamp, so a slightly different effect of that you'd get from a tungsten lamp.

Also....you can make any colour.

Sam
23-09-2007, 03:31 PM
hmm ok.

And i'm on skype now.. should have added you!

Sam
23-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Right..
So.. for people who are interested.. I had a long chat with will who helped me out load and now i'm thinking.

DEFFO get Daslight IN software.. and have my current DMX master controller(or a cheap second hand more advanced one) going into it.. -> i was having a play with it today and it looked great.. especially for setting up movements with the movers!

Then MAYBE get a iColour4 which is being sold by someone very local to me for a good price (used). -> good for ceiling / back lighting in some cases.. and sort of multiperpose .. and bright!

And EITHER / OR get 4 PAR 56s (or 2 56, 2 64 from stairville) -> providing me with a small range and also it would mean that if someone wanted a large venue uplighted i would need to look at buying in 4/6 pars instead of the whole 10 say.. and i would already know how they work

And if you made any sense of that.. well done!

Sam
11-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Right..
So.. for people who are interested.. I had a long chat with will who helped me out load and now i'm thinking.

DEFFO get Daslight IN software.. and have my current DMX master controller(or a cheap second hand more advanced one) going into it.. -> i was having a play with it today and it looked great.. especially for setting up movements with the movers!

Then MAYBE get a iColour4 which is being sold by someone very local to me for a good price (used). -> good for ceiling / back lighting in some cases.. and sort of multiperpose .. and bright!

And EITHER / OR get 4 PAR 56s (or 2 56, 2 64 from stairville) -> providing me with a small range and also it would mean that if someone wanted a large venue uplighted i would need to look at buying in 4/6 pars instead of the whole 10 say.. and i would already know how they work

And if you made any sense of that.. well done!

bit of an update.
I have now got 2 Led Par Cans and will be getting 8 more shortly.

I have got one STAIRVILLE HL-40 DMX unit (was going cheap) which is suprisingly big (but IMHO looks cool!)

And will be buying Daslight shortly.

Anyhoo..
As I said.. I have now got a HL-40 / iColour 4 unit.. (received it today) and it seems very good.. although my eyes hurt from looking at it on full power. Had a quick play with my DMX controller and it works great.. and is perfect for what i need it for.

And for the benefit of Will.. i didn't notice any problems with the colour mixing.. or 'lines'?!

Sam
11-10-2007, 02:44 PM
bit of an update.
I have now got 2 Led Par Cans and will be getting 8 more shortly.

I have got one STAIRVILLE HL-40 DMX unit (was going cheap) which is suprisingly big (but IMHO looks cool!)

And will be buying Daslight shortly.

Anyhoo..
As I said.. I have now got a HL-40 / iColour 4 unit.. (received it today) and it seems very good.. although my eyes hurt from looking at it on full power. Had a quick play with my DMX controller and it works great.. and is perfect for what i need it for.

And for the benefit of Will.. i didn't notice any problems with the colour mixing.. or 'lines'?!

After having a bit more of a play i can actually see what Will means with regards to colour mixing.. although it is still fine for me :-p