PDA

View Full Version : Can you turn it down I am putting the baby to sleep???

HeartandSoul
02-04-2012, 10:27 AM
This was a new one to me, I was playing background music, before the first dance, it was pretty low, a guest who was sitting at one of the tables asked if I could turn down the music because she is trying to put her baby to sleep!! we were in an hotel so she could have simply walked out the room to the lounge...... I was surprised but agreed, and turned it down a little further, I was unusually lost for words. Have you had any such requests, and how have you handled them?

musicologydisco
02-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Some new mothers are totally obsessive and they think there's is the only baby in the whole world. They don't think of anyone else just themselves and their newborn. Totally blinkered. I bet she was carrying half a ton of completely unnecessary baby equipment around with her too was she? I wonder if she would have asked the best man to keep his voice down during the speeches!
Thankfully they usually get over it after a while and start to behave more rationally again!

DJ Jules
02-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Thankfully they usually get over it after a while and start to behave more rationally again!

It's usually about the time that they start getting more than 3hrs of sleep a night... and you wonder why they're obsessed with getting their babies to sleep well? :D

Julian

02-04-2012, 12:36 PM
That reminds me

I did a 30th Birthday party in a pub last November, i started about 8.00 ish and he came and asked about 10.00pm to turn it down a bit, as his kids wouldn't go to sleep up stairs, and to keep it down until they dropped off.

Shakermaker Promotions
02-04-2012, 01:07 PM
I did a 50th party a couple of years ago in a large venue just outside town. I was on a stage and well out of the way. The table nearest to the stage had a load of grannies on it and one of them came over and asked if I could turn it down a bit... Ha! Ha! I couldn't actually hear her at the time as the music was loud - How ironic. Loads of people dancing etc and it was a big place so I said I would but didn't actually do it and they never said anything again.

DJ Jules
02-04-2012, 01:23 PM
I had a dear old lady at a function I did two years ago for adults with learning difficulties.

She came over to me at about 10:00 (booked til 11:00) and told me I might as well stop now as most of them had to go home to bed and that "no-one should be playing music that loud anyway".

I'd had no other complaints (despite a number of technical difficulties during the evening which had me switching from Cortex to Laptop to CD's!), the volume wasn't particularly high and the organiser had told me at the start to run the evening like a kids party and play it "fast and loud" anyway. :D

The organiser also later apologised to me for her friends behaviour when I told her what had been said.

Julian

sweetie
02-04-2012, 01:43 PM
I had a great wedding on saturday and had my full rig out so definitely a good full sound and as I was after a band who played loud I continued in that vein. After about an hour a gent arrives up clearly quite drunk and wearing very casual clothes complaining about the loudness. I adjusted it a bit but was pretty sure he meant the bass which I also dropped and after another two trips to me with the same complaint he disappeared. I had to make sure the volume was sufficient for the guests who were dancing too. Anyway at the end of the night I'm chatting to the groom and the bride and she apologises for here Dad - says her cousing told her he was annoying me! Thank god I try and deal with all requests and complaints in a polite manner altho inside I was getting a bit tired of this guy!!

HeartandSoul
02-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Yep, she had the latest fancy buggy, and possibly 5 or six tables back from the booth. I wanted to say duh, disco = loud music for dancing not sleeping, but really no point in getting into that. It's funny, I can't imagine any other kind of work that gets the kind of colourful characters us DJS do.

matt the cat
10-04-2012, 01:03 PM
I was asked to turn down my background music a few months ago because a lady was worried i would wake up her newborn baby.........in a busy pub on New Years Eve!!!!!!
Gobsmacked!

WWDJ
10-04-2012, 01:32 PM
I was asked to turn down my background music a few months ago because a lady was worried i would wake up her newborn baby.........in a busy pub on New Years Eve!!!!!!
Gobsmacked!

I would just say they should be at home.

If you are prepared to have kids its the sacrifice you make. Ok, kids should be able to stay up later for special occasions. My 4 year old made it until 10pm for my wife's 40th, but then she was taken off to bed.

djdave01
10-04-2012, 02:10 PM
last year i was working with a ceilidh band at a posh wedding. It was early on and the band were quietly tuning their instruments before starting the first dance. An older woman came up and asked them to 'stop making so much noise, im trying to talk to my friends!'

She later moaned at the band again about the volume, which wasnt loud.

Im glad she left before i started the disco

Megamix
10-04-2012, 02:26 PM
The trouble is you then worry all night about what volume is right, instead of concentrating on the job in hand - one of my older regulars says "we like you, but we want to chat"

Craig - Dragon Discos
11-04-2012, 07:39 PM
I had this on saturday.
I was doing a wedding in Leeds, the bride & groom had their first dance then went to the bar. This is where they stayed, along with all their guests. There were only 39 people there (including children) and the bar was upstairs! By 9:30 I was playing to 6 people in the room as nobody wanted to walk up and downstairs for drinks. At 9:45 the bride appeared again, I thought great, I'll try to get them dancing again and see how long I can keep them before they disappear for another drink. But no, she simply asked me to turn the music down as they were putting the baby to sleep at the back of the room. Then she put the baby in a car seat and went back upstairs!
The only saving grace was I was booked until 1am, but the bride asked me to finish at 11:30 as none of her "f***ing friends could even be bothered to turn up"
I felt awful, but the guests that were there, and the B&G, were really nice to me and couldn't praise me highly enough. I even got asked for a few cards! Strange eh?