PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got any hints or tips?

braddazz
07-10-2006, 08:10 AM
Hi there, I've set up my own disco/karaoke business and wondered if anyone has any hints or tips on how to get the bookings coming in. I've advertised on Yell.com but realistically, people who want a disco will just look through the Yellow Pages which isn't due for release again until next July.

Is there anywhere else I could mebbies advertise that will get people's attention?

Many thanks

Paul
www.backbeatentertainment.co.uk

Shaun
07-10-2006, 08:29 AM
The best form of advertising is 'word of mouth'. The more parties you do the bigger your reputation will grow if you provide a good service. Building up a good clientelle list takes time and success won't come overnight. Just keep on persevering and give your card to everyone you meet.

Perhaps a sponsored listing (http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/advertise.php) here in the Mobile Disco Directory?, you can also opt for a free non paid entry in the directory (if you haven't already done so). :)

* Business cards and/or brochures placed in local wedding vendors premises (wedding dress shops/florists/cake makers etc..)

* Bridal publication advertisements

* Wedding Fayres

* Ads in the local press (can be expensive though)

Welcome to the forum :thumbs_up

BeerFunk
07-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Yes, I would say that local advertising and word of mouth is the key. I have never really advertised at all, I get bookings through contacts in my 'DJ network' (get to know other local discos/karaokes/entertainers), word of mouth and my business cards (OK, fair enough - that counts as advertising!!). I hand out cards when asked for at any function I do.

Oh, and if you're just starting out, do as many discos as you can - even if theyre cut price or free (charity). Use these as an advertising opportunity ;)

Have a disco
07-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Lets see how do I do it apart from word of mouth

Papershops
Prominent Telegraph poles (near junctions etc etc)
Building site boards
all the free websites I could find
here
business cards
postcards in libary shops HAIRDRESSERS wedding shops etc
A4 posters in all local halls for hire, church vestreys with permission, or just info with the vicar for him to hand to them, anywhere anyone else legally puts notices up
118gethitched.com paid internet directory
free small ad in yellow pages not worth full money unless you want one with a link to your webpage
local wedding guides with weekly paper as and when they do one usually twice a year paid for of course
letters to local youth football club or any sports clubs managers end of season is manic
get yourself on local round tables lists

thats just a few I have tried

groovy-nights
07-10-2006, 11:17 AM
hi Paul
Send me some info about yourself were you are based prices gear etc to [email protected]

Corabar Entertainment
07-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum :)

As the others have said, it takes time to get established, but I would also say that it helps to clearly identify the market that you want to target.

How much experience have you got and in what types of gig?

If you could do with a bit more experience under your belt, why not ask a local established DJ if he could do with some help and go out and roadie for him for free for a while. He will then get to know you and your skills, plus you can pick up some extra tips and tricks (no matter how experienced, everyone can learn a little from someone else). Then, if he gets an enquiry he can't cover, he may pass it your way.

braddazz
08-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Hi folks, cheers for the response.

I have a 300watt PA system with Soundlab powered mixer and some lights. I have karaoke set with a good selection of songs from the 50s to modern day. My music collection is superb with songs from the 30s to modern day.

I intend to add to my set up as the bookings come in, but don't want to splash out loads of cash if I'm getting nothing for it.

So far I have put an ad on the Mobile Disco Directory, and on Yell.com. I intend to pay more to put a big ad in the Yellow Pages but the next one isn't due out until next July so would be foolish to pay for that now. I am sending mailmerges to various pubs in the area too.

I've had plenty of DJ experience, doing nights in bars and various funtions. I worked for a local company a few years back but the lack of transport at the time meant I had to rely on other people and was a bit of a headache.

EMKaraoke
19-10-2006, 03:43 PM
I used to use vistaprint for business cards & postcards. They do offers every other day .. or so it seems all you pay is p&p if you choose your options carefully, I had postcards which looked smashing in store windows.. local news agents and what not... but in the end ya'll get regular gigs it'll fill in those days easily... Im a singer myself so slap on songs at the beginnning wailing a few out.. + im a total nut when it comes to comedy.. ya build a reputation.. ya'll get the bookings... they will come to you....