PDA

View Full Version : Generators (yet again)

alexperrins
08-10-2006, 01:29 PM
I have been reading through the threads involving generators and as I am more than likely to be hired for a barge party which is coming up soon (thanks for the help on that one) I am getting rather worried about all the extra protection I might need to bring with me.

Basically, I am meeting with the boat owner on Thur (it is a different company to the one I posted up) what sort of questions should I be asking him? I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this and I'm getting rather nervous about it all.

Apparently the barge owners hire a generator for every party. I am going to take 300 watts of sound, maybe 4 lights, maybe 2. A laptop, CD PLayer and Mixer. I understand from reading around that the generator must have Voltage Regulation, will this be enough on it's own to stop me worrying?

Do I need RCD for every socket and Surge Protection extension leads. I don't want to spend much - but if you guys tell me that I will have to spend lots of cash, then I'm getting out of this one asap!

Thanks as always

Alex

Thames Valley Discos
08-10-2006, 02:54 PM
well, i went for a double conversion ups, but a cheaper option is one of these http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=LE1200I&tab=features.
plug mixer,cd/pc etc into this. it regulates high/low voltages.
this only takes a max of 1200w. check your amp spec, that should only use 2-3amp load. the pc/cd,mixer only takes about 200w or 1 amp.
If useing lights,maybe get another, just add up all the wattage of your lights, if less than 1200w, then plug them into the other. Best solution is a double conversion ups, but as i found out, they are not cheap, although cheaper than replacing a blown up mixer etc.

My amp is 750W per channel into 4 ohm, and according to manufacturers tech spech, this only draws just over 2 amp.

alexperrins
08-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Thanks, so if the generator already comes with one of these, am I only likely to be able to run four pieces of equipment from it? As I really want to run 6 items! Does this eliminate the need for RCD? I am a little confused about all of it to be honest!

A1DL
08-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks, so if the generator already comes with one of these, am I only likely to be able to run four pieces of equipment from it? As I really want to run 6 items! Does this eliminate the need for RCD? I am a little confused about all of it to be honest!

The APC device that Paul has posted a link to can support a 240v load up to 1200w (5 amps to keep it simple)

That can be as many items as you want, so long as the summed power consumption is within this limit.

The genny won't come with one of those APCs. If it's a hired genny going onto a barge, unless it's a huge barge, I can't see the genny being a 10kva+ set, due to the physical logistics of getting it on and off, and the weight of the set. So it is quite probable it will be a little 3kva and there will be no AVR at the set. Diesel are much more stable than petrol. Output connector on a small set will likely be 16a ceeform (blue). DON'T USE THE YELLOWS (110v) :omg:

Oh, and yes, use a 30ma RCD

HTH

Tony

alexperrins
08-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks. On this info I am really reluctant to do the gig. Seems like a nightmare from the start. Cheers for the help anyway.