PDA

View Full Version : Controllers with CD Decks

DJ Jules
17-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Every now and then I get asked to play CD's (mostly school fayres where I get presented with the CD for the performers about 30 seconds before they expect me to play it). I have been using a pair of DNS-1200's for this purpose, but they're heavy and take up a lot of space.

I don't want to cart around a separate set of CD decks as well as a controller and laptop, and I also won't be able to rip cd's in my laptop quickly enough (or cue them up quickly enough - as cueing/playing cd's in the laptop is slooow).

So... what MIDI controllers are there out there which also have CD decks built in? Or is there another solution I haven't considered (i.e. some compact/cheap/robust CD deck that I'm not aware of).

I've looked briefly at the Numark Mixdeck Express and Mixdeck Quad range, but I don't think the Express would do what I want (switching from MIDI to CD looks like it'd be clunky and problematic as I expect VirtualDJ would loose it's connection to the deck/sound card) and the price and weight of the Quad is putting me off (£799ish and 15kg) and I'm not sure if it'd be any better at switching from CD to MIDI control on the fly.

Whatever I buy I want to use as my main playout so it needs to be light, portable, quick to set up and reliable. I'll hopefully relegate my Mixtrack Pro to backup (as the short pitch faders are starting to become an issue).

does anyone know of any alternative products out there, or is my best option to buy a cheap pair of CD decks and another Mixtrack Pro or a DJ2Go? ;)

Julian

Vectis
17-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Got a spare mixer line level input?
PORTABLE CD,LCD DISPLAY: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I used to carry a low profile USB CD drive and plug straight into my D2. Is this an option with your gear?

Excalibur
17-04-2012, 12:23 PM
I don't know your controller, but my solution is a Numark DDS drive, which has a usb output. Join to the backup cortex, sorted. Simples

DJ Jules
17-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Got a spare mixer line level input?
PORTABLE CD,LCD DISPLAY: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coby-CX-CD109-BLK-PORTABLE-DISPLAY/dp/B000CBB4N4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1334661529&sr=1-2)

Not without taking a separate mixer which I'm trying to avoid. The Mixtrack Pro has a preamp for a Mic built in which passes straight through to the Main output, so for the majority of gigs I can get away with Laptop, Mixtrack and Mic and that's it.

I used to carry a low profile USB CD drive and plug straight into my D2. Is this an option with your gear?

My laptop already has a CD drive built in and I have another low profile one I could hook up to it, but it's slow to cue up and Virtual DJ's handling of it is clunky so I was hoping to avoid this. If I did go down this route I'd probably be tempted by the Pioneer Ergo.

It'd be clever if the Mixdeck presented it's two inbuilt CD drives as USB drives to the host laptop when it's connected as a MIDI controller/ASIO Sound card. Then you'd be able to play from CD's in Virtual DJ without having to switch from MIDI to CD and back. I bet it doesn't do that though ;)

Julian

DJ Jules
17-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Diverting from the original topic slightly... Controllers without CD Decks :D :

MC3000
Pioneer Ergo
Traktor Kontrol S4 (though I'd have to ditch Virtual DJ if I did this)
American Audio VMS4

Anyone have any opinions on the above, and which might be better?

Julian

djrobentertainment
18-04-2012, 12:01 PM
I have been in the exact same position as you with my omni control and I am buying a Mixdeck http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=mixdeck&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17406932814894828029&sa=X&ei=K56OT9ujDJP58QP6uuTPCw&ved=0CIIBEPMCMAI

I did look at adding a Kam 450 usb http://www.totalsounds.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3068 just to play the odd cd but that meant adding another mixer to add the extra channels

DJ Jules
18-04-2012, 01:27 PM
I have been in the exact same position as you with my omni control and I am buying a Mixdeck http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=mixdeck&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17406932814894828029&sa=X&ei=K56OT9ujDJP58QP6uuTPCw&ved=0CIIBEPMCMAI

That being the Mixdeck Express. I've just been to have a play with one of those and I've got to admit, I'm not a massive fan of it and the way it interfaces with the PC. The Mixtrack Pro is a doddle, plug it in and off it goes with Virtual DJ. The Mixdeck requires some wacky driver combination to get up and running as an ASIO device and isn't recognised by VirtualDJ (7 Pro).

Julian

djrobentertainment
18-04-2012, 02:02 PM
That being the Mixdeck Express. I've just been to have a play with one of those and I've got to admit, I'm not a massive fan of it and the way it interfaces with the PC. The Mixtrack Pro is a doddle, plug it in and off it goes with Virtual DJ. The Mixdeck requires some wacky driver combination to get up and running as an ASIO device and isn't recognised by VirtualDJ (7 Pro).

Julian

There are three Mixdecks The Mixdeck express, Mixdeck and the Mixdeck quad not sure if the Mixdeck i'm talking about is the same, as well I use Traktor so have no problems there.

DJ Jules
18-04-2012, 03:59 PM
There are three Mixdecks The Mixdeck express, Mixdeck and the Mixdeck quad not sure if the Mixdeck i'm talking about is the same, as well I use Traktor so have no problems there.

Yeah, the one you linked to was the Express. I believe you need the drivers for Traktor too - I think this is because it's using higher resolution MIDI, so can't use the standard class compliant drivers included with Windows. Virtual DJ can use it, but I don't believe it's natively supported which means the screens on the Mixdeck are just blank and the buttons don't light either.

More research needed... :P

Gary
18-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Diverting from the original topic slightly... Controllers without CD Decks :D :

MC3000

If you went for the MC6000, which isnt just a midi controller and "just" a MIDI mixer, its a real mixer, then you could simply plug one of your existing DN-S1200's into the back of that...or indeed both your DN-S1200's - one each side of the MC6000.

DJ Jules
18-04-2012, 06:03 PM
If you went for the MC6000, which isnt just a midi controller and "just" a MIDI mixer, its a real mixer, then you could simply plug one of your existing DN-S1200's into the back of that...or indeed both your DN-S1200's - one each side of the MC6000.

From memory the 3000 is a "real" mixer as well, the channels can be switched from external input to internal sound card so you can connect external devices.

It's all academic now as the DN-S1200's are in the back of a UPS van somewhere... ;)

For £399 though I could get the Mixdeck which has CD decks built in, and a real mixer and a MIDI controller. Alright so it's Numark, but hey...

Julian

AndyC
18-04-2012, 07:43 PM
I have the American Audio VMS4.1 whch has a bulit in mixer which can take external inputs and the problems with the last version seem to have been worked out I have had no problems with the mic inputs and there is certanly no problem in the volume department

Andy

sweetie
18-04-2012, 08:50 PM
mixdeck only has the decks midi controlled and not the mixer.

DJ Jules
18-04-2012, 11:39 PM
mixdeck only has the decks midi controlled and not the mixer.

Yeah, apparently the mixdeck express and mixdeck are that way inclined, but the full mixdeck has a midi mixer too.

And that is good (or bad) because....?

sweetie
19-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Yeah, apparently the mixdeck express and mixdeck are that way inclined, but the full mixdeck has a midi mixer too.

And that is good (or bad) because....?

I had the original mixdeck for a while which was like this. Basically I found it bad because it was different from the other controllers I used (Mc6000/herc rmx) in that moving the faders on the actual controller didnt affect them on the software itself, I couldn't get used to it at all. I feel the mixdeck is a jack of all trades, master of none tbh.

DJ Jules
19-04-2012, 11:07 AM
I had the original mixdeck for a while which was like this. Basically I found it bad because it was different from the other controllers I used (Mc6000/herc rmx) in that moving the faders on the actual controller didnt affect them on the software itself, I couldn't get used to it at all. I feel the mixdeck is a jack of all trades, master of none tbh.

I get the feeling that the Mixdeck Quad would probably be the one I'd want... But it comes with a price tag which would make me more inclined towards buying Denon or Pioneer...

Glenski
19-04-2012, 02:53 PM
I get the feeling that the Mixdeck Quad would probably be the one I'd want... But it comes with a price tag which would make me more inclined towards buying Denon or Pioneer...

I'm looking for the MixDeck Quad myself - and why not buy against the Denon or Pioneer ?

It's as good as ..... Denon and Pioneer [pay for a brand more than anything]

I've used Numark quite a bit over the years and never had a problem with their stuff :)

Thanks

Glenn

DJ Jules
19-04-2012, 03:40 PM
It's as good as ..... Denon and Pioneer [pay for a brand more than anything]

I'm probably being a brand snob based on my experience of the lower end units I've seen out and about. I'm a Mixtrack Pro user at present which does the job brilliantly and is very light - the down side of this being that it feels like a plastic toy when you pick it up, but it's worked flawlessly and has easily withstood being used twice a week for a year now with no signs of wear :D

Is the sound quality as good as a Denon/Pioneer/Traktor/American Audio unit? I can't answer that one, and to some extent at the price point of the Mixtrack (£160) it's irrelevant.

However, if I was looking to spend £800, then build and audio quality would become key considerations and I'd be more inclined to part with more notes for a piece of kit from a brand I know to be "quality". Or to put this another way, if I was going to have to go up to the NS6 (£700?) or the Mixtrack Quad (£749) to get the controller quality/features I wanted, I'd be much more likely to pay £600 for an MC6000 and forfeit the CD decks.

Decisions decisions.

sweetie
19-04-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm probably being a brand snob based on my experience of the lower end units I've seen out and about. I'm a Mixtrack Pro user at present which does the job brilliantly and is very light - the down side of this being that it feels like a plastic toy when you pick it up, but it's worked flawlessly and has easily withstood being used twice a week for a year now with no signs of wear :D

Is the sound quality as good as a Denon/Pioneer/Traktor/American Audio unit? I can't answer that one, and to some extent at the price point of the Mixtrack (£160) it's irrelevant.

However, if I was looking to spend £800, then build and audio quality would become key considerations and I'd be more inclined to part with more notes for a piece of kit from a brand I know to be "quality". Or to put this another way, if I was going to have to go up to the NS6 (£700?) or the Mixtrack Quad (£749) to get the controller quality/features I wanted, I'd be much more likely to pay £600 for an MC6000 and forfeit the CD decks.

Decisions decisions.

for the amount of times you will have to play a cd wouldnt a single cd player connected (via rca from the headphone socket) to a spare channel on an mc6000 suffice. I have a cable to connect my ipad/iphone similar to this setup.

DJ Jules
19-04-2012, 05:50 PM
for the amount of times you will have to play a cd wouldnt a single cd player connected (via rca from the headphone socket) to a spare channel on an mc6000 suffice. I have a cable to connect my ipad/iphone similar to this setup.

Yeah, I think that's where I'm heading :)

Julian