PDA

View Full Version : Should be an interesting one...

funkymook
18-04-2012, 12:20 AM
I asked my clients to give me an idea of their Civil Partnership day (I'm doing the music afternoon and evening) - it's going to be a lot of fun.

'The theme, I guess, is "bust up theatre meets Gentlemans club meets vaudeville taxidermist". So there'll be round tables with dark red velvet cloths; old victorian lamposts between the tables; a giant red heart centre stage (alla Bethnal Green Working Mens Club); Uplighters on the coving etc. Oh, and random stuffed birds knocking around the place.

We then have the wedding breakfast (curry!) and speeches before cracking on with the evenings entertainment. At present we're looking at a couple of burlesque acts, some circus skills and a bit of indie bingo'

Charlie Brown
18-04-2012, 12:24 AM
:lol:

Brilliant!

Everything the typical wedding isn't! I think you're going to have to take your camera along to that one...

funkymook
18-04-2012, 12:32 AM
:lol:

Brilliant!

Everything the typical wedding isn't! I think you're going to have to take your camera along to that one...

Definitely - one of the guys is a theatre lighting designer, so I expect it's all going to be done really well, and they have great taste in music.

Charlie Brown
18-04-2012, 12:45 AM
I'm surprised they haven't asked about starlit dancefloors, moving heads etc?

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-04-2012, 09:12 AM

I'm not - that doesn't sound like it fits their theme at all!

DazzyD
18-04-2012, 12:16 PM

A moving head Victorian lamp-post. Hey, I think I've just spotted a gap in the lighting market!!! :D :D

funkymook
18-04-2012, 12:20 PM

Exactly!

Charlie Brown
18-04-2012, 12:38 PM

Rubbish.

Moving heads and effect lighting doesn't mean it has to be all singing and dancing...it does exactly what it say's on the tin...create an effect. :)

Especially as he's a lighting designer.

Black starlit dancefloor - kind of see where you're coming, but I reckon you could make it work.

Jiggles
18-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Just coz you are a LD doesn't mean that you have to have moving buckets all over the place! Some of the best shows are only a few par cans and profiles. They guy will know what works for his theme and movers dont fit in!

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Rubbish.

You want to be careful who you are talking to on here and the way you are doing it.

It is not rubbish as Martin has already said, it's not the style.

Charlie Brown
18-04-2012, 01:44 PM
I've seen several burlesque dancing shows and attend a similar party Martin is doing.

They all had moving heads and effect lighting, hidden away in corners, dark reds, white search lights, pan across the room.

But as always, you're right sir. :beer1:

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-04-2012, 03:27 PM
I've seen several burlesque dancing shows and attend a similar party Martin is doing.

They all had moving heads and effect lighting, hidden away in corners, dark reds, white search lights, pan across the room.

I didn't say I was always right, I said I didn't think they would fit in with the theme, so there's no need to call my opinion rubbish or to be patronising by telling me I'm always right.

It was my opinion. Stop, read and take it in.

Shakermaker Promotions
18-04-2012, 03:37 PM
You only have to read the description that Martin gave in his opening post to realise that the customer is looking for something different and moving heads etc aren't going to fit in to what they want.

Corabar Steve
18-04-2012, 03:51 PM
The theme, I guess, is "bust up theatre meets Gentlemans club meets vaudeville taxidermist". So there'll be round tables with dark red velvet cloths; old victorian lamposts between the tables; a giant red heart centre stage (alla Bethnal Green Working Mens Club); Uplighters on the coving etc. Oh, and random stuffed birds knocking around the place.
Charlie, you seem to have missed most (if not of all) of the above & focused entirely on what your idea of how a burlesque club should be.

I agree with Darren. Moving heads would be totally out of place.

funkymook
18-04-2012, 04:20 PM
I think we're now discussing two totally different things.

Moving Heads for a theatrical production and Moving Heads for a disco are worlds apart.

Either way though - I don't think he needs to make enquiries to me about lighting or décor, I'm happy to listen and learn from him on this one.

Chris1984
18-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Moving Heads for a theatrical production and Moving Heads for a disco are worlds apart.

spot on

moving head can be and are used for all kinds of things. they may not immediately jump out as the ideal but you never know a good lighting designer may use them for this others won't.
its all personal choice budget and if you can be arsed - it his day he may not want to play lights...

Charlie Brown
18-04-2012, 04:48 PM
spot on

Yes!

That's what I meant about 'they don't need to be singing and dancing' Used properly, they can look great.

Hidden away behind the lampposts, bit of haze, dark reds and purples - it would create a cool, dark, errey and seedy effect.

paul1404
18-04-2012, 06:10 PM
I've seen several burlesque dancing shows

LOL ha ha

JTRS
18-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Yes!

That's what I meant about 'they don't need to be singing and dancing' Used properly, they can look great.

Hidden away behind the lampposts, bit of haze, dark reds and purples - it would create a cool, dark, errey and seedy effect.

And so would par-cans or fresnels which as a theatre lighting expert he would be a lot more familiar with then moving heads.

JTRS

Dynamic Entertainment
18-04-2012, 11:10 PM

In a previous life, I DJed weekly at a Burlesque club...which was themed/modelled on Moulin Rouge....and it wasn't anywhere near the picture you've posted ;)

Incidentally...its now called Rouge and is lap dancing club :o

Kernow
19-04-2012, 06:19 PM
In a previous life, I DJed weekly at a Burlesque club...which was themed/modelled on Moulin Rouge....and it wasn't anywhere near the picture you've posted ;)

Incidentally...its now called Rouge and is lap dancing club :o
:agree:
Charlie, your picture depicts Neo-Burlesque in the style of Dita Von Teese etc.
For true Burlesque you need to think of the films 'Cabaret' or 'Rocky Horror Show' even possibly some Gilbert & Sullivan Comic Opera. I would bet with the couples' theatrical background you'd be much nearer the mark ? ;)

Charlie Brown
19-04-2012, 07:45 PM
I know.

If I'm honest, I just tried to find a picture of some ladies dancing with moving heads.

funkymook
19-04-2012, 08:32 PM
I know.

If I'm honest, I just tried to find a picture of some ladies dancing with moving heads.

:D