PDA

View Full Version : Payment upfront or payment at the end

soundmaster mobile disco
06-05-2012, 05:21 PM
In an ideal world we would all be paid before we start a gig,but lets be honest here how many of you guys insist on payment up front?Do you turn up at a gig and say to the organiser i need my payment now or your party does not start?Is this part of your T&Cs,how does it affect future referalls\bookings.You need to have some trust in your customers.I normally wait untill i am paid.If not i will ask at the end for my payment.

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-05-2012, 05:23 PM
7 day before the gig.

Nothing to do with trust, more to do with the running of my business efficiently and being more convenient for the client. Most pay by bank transfer or card these days.

WWDJ
06-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Real world I get paid 4 out of 5 times upfront or at the start of the gig. More rarely nowadays, do I get paid after, as I always ask for payment at the start or before. New years eve i actually got paid when I collected my gear the next day, but I was cool with that as I know the guy.

Never failed to be paid, but have been short paid by one person twice so I just don't work for them anymore.

Andy Collins
06-05-2012, 05:35 PM
I get paid 28 days before the gig. Same reasons as Darren

djdave01
06-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Apart from the booking reservation fee, i normally just get paid at the gig. More often than not the client pays me before ive started but some do wait till the end.

Never had an issue in over 20 years of doing this.

Shakermaker Promotions
06-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Booking form and booking fee paid within 14 days of the booking form being sent and then balance due 7 days before.
Totally agree with what Darren said.

musicologydisco
06-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Cash on the night at anytime for most, but I do try and get it at top of the night for an 18th or 21st unless parent is paying. Most of them tend to get it paid at the beginning and a few at the end. I've never not been paid so don't worry about it in the main. Have had near misses with the younger ones in the past so that's why I "encourage" payment asap with them!

funkymook
06-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Payment at least 7 days before and receipts issued, gives a far more professional image than cash in hand.

I wouldn't expect my clients to carry £500+ in cash around with them anyway.

surround sounds
06-05-2012, 07:39 PM
80% of mine pay in advance cause they are mainly wedding..
The other 20% pay cash on the night before i start.I always send them a email the day before stating all there party details and at the end of the email i state the dj must be paid before music is turned on..I have never in 20 years had a problem with this method..

BossmanKaraokeDisco
06-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Apart from the booking reservation fee, i normally just get paid at the gig. More often than not the client pays me before ive started but some do wait till the end.

Never had an issue in over 20 years of doing this.

+1 and likewise never had a problem in 30 years :)

Excalibur
06-05-2012, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't expect my clients to carry £50+ in cash around with them anyway.

Doesn't seem to be a problem for my customers. :D :D

funkymook
06-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Doesn't seem to be a problem for my customers. :D :D

All in coppers no doubt! :D

DJRecardo
06-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Generally I get paid at the beginning or during the event, Weddings and suchlike I take a deposit when its booked and then get the remainder of the fee on the night

funkymook
06-05-2012, 11:44 PM
I really can't understand the payment on the night for weddings - do any of the other service providers (flowers, cake, venue, catering, photographer etc) get paid then as well? I can't ever recall seeing a line of people queuing up to get their money at a wedding - it's just the DJ then!

I think this cash in hand practice helps perpetuate the public perception we are a second rate service compared to the others.

DJRecardo
06-05-2012, 11:48 PM
I have seen photographers get paid on the night. Ideally I'd prefer payment for a wedding etc beforehand but as I used to work for an agency everything was paid by the client either during or after the event no matter whether it was a kids party or a wedding

Daryll
07-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Deposit before the event, as keeping with my T&C , payment must be paid before the event , but ..... on the night is ok with me.

Daryll

mark@pegasus
07-05-2012, 08:21 AM
7 day before the gig.

Nothing to do with trust, more to do with the running of my business efficiently and being more convenient for the client. Most pay by bank transfer or card these days.

+1

Leicester Ben
07-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Payment before the event also for us, any kit hired is also always paid for in full along with a deposit.

Steve the DJ
07-05-2012, 09:10 AM
I think this cash in hand practice helps perpetuate the public perception we are a second rate service compared to the others.

+1

The only two reasons I can think of for any supplier to receive cash on the night from a private client is 1) on a really last minute booking (i.e. the same day) or 2) because they are a cash in hand, no questions asked, don't tell the tax man business.

Of course everyone getting cash on the night is sending the client an invoice and a receipt aren't they?

:whistle:

:sofa:

P.S. In answer to the question, 14 days prior to the event.

Spirits High
07-05-2012, 10:24 AM
All bookings are due 14 days before.

99.9% of my work is Weddings and in many cases the venue asks for full payment 2-3 months before so mine at 14 days is nothing unusual.

I changed to 14 days around 3 years ago now after the Best Man at a Wedding was given the cash to pay me, got a little bit worse for wear and it came to light at the end of the night when the Groom asked if I'd been paid that the Best Man had been buying lots of rounds of drinks......with my cash :eek:

The father of the bride ended up going to a cash machine while I was packing down to get my money!! Since then it's been 14 days and never had a client question it ;)

Shaun
07-05-2012, 10:58 AM
In an ideal world we would all be paid before we start a gig,but lets be honest here how many of you guys insist on payment up front?Do you turn up at a gig and say to the organiser i need my payment now or your party does not start?Is this part of your T&Cs,how does it affect future referallsbookings.You need to have some trust in your customers.I normally wait untill i am paid.If not i will ask at the end for my payment.

I give the client the option of paying in advance or paying at the start of the event. If they opt to pay at the event I absolutely insist on payment at the start. The evening doesn't begin until I get paid. No exceptions. This is fully outlined (politely) during pre-event correspondence, and thankfully I can't remember the last time I had to chase a client for payment?

+1

Of course everyone getting cash on the night is sending the client an invoice and a receipt aren't they?

:whistle:

:sofa:

Of course, no exceptions. Cash is still an acceptable way to do business last time I looked, and every client is provided a receipt for their payment. :rolleyes:

Steve the DJ
07-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Of course, no exceptions. Cash is still an acceptable way to do business last time I looked, and every client is provided a receipt for their payment. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you do, but I'm willing to bet the majority who only take cash on the night don't.

hammy
07-05-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm sure you do, but I'm willing to bet the majority who only take cash on the night don't.

Or could it be that when they get home and update the staus of event on djep they send an invoice then.;) :p

Shaun
07-05-2012, 12:19 PM

So are you really insinuating that the majority of people that still accept cash on the night are in some way cheating the system by not providing receipts and declaring the income? Really? I'm sure there are some that do, but for the majority that run a legitimate business I'm pretty sure that they would follow the correct procedures irregardless of the type of final payment received.

A quick question. Those of you that used to accept cash payments on the evening before moving to payment in advance...was it accepted practice back then for you not to issue receipts when you accepted payment in cash? :confused:

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-05-2012, 12:27 PM
I've never issued receipts for anything. There's no reason for me to unless people ask.

Steve the DJ
07-05-2012, 12:38 PM
So are you really insinuating that the majority of people that still accept cash on the night are in some way cheating the system by not providing receipts and declaring the income? Really?

Members of this forum? Probably not as most will care about what they do and how they do it. But cash on the night DJs in general? Absolutely!

I know 5 DJs in my local circle of DJ friends that all take cash on the night, provide zero paperwork and are not even registered as self employed, some of which have been DJing for over 25 years that way!

And no, they are not members of any forums which I would suggest is the same for the vast majority of mobile DJs.

A quick question. Those of you that used to accept cash payments on the evening before moving to payment in advance...was it accepted practice back then for you not to issue receipts when you accepted payment in cash? :confused:

Back when I used to take cash on the night (I stopped in early 2000 I think), I had a little receipt book that I took with me and issued a receipt there and then.

I've never issued receipts for anything. There's no reason for me to unless people ask.

Of course if you issue an invoice there is no requirement that I am aware of to issue a receipt for payment, it's just something I have always done.

Corabar Entertainment
07-05-2012, 12:41 PM
I've never issued receipts for anything. There's no reason for me to unless people ask.I never issued receipts for 'cash on the night' payments when we used to work that way. As you say, Darren - no reason to, but the DJs carried receipt pads in case someone wanted one.

Since going over to card payments, I do issue receipts. I need to email them to confirm that I've got it, so doing it with an automatically completed form of receipt incorporating a balance statement works as well a way as any.

We still take cash payments for the pub residency, but private bookings are are all payment 14 days in advance - almost always by card.

Obviously, whether cash or card, etc..... invoices are always issued, and I think it's a bit unfair of you Steve to suggest that someone still accepting cash payments is likely to be pulling a fast one.

Steve the DJ
07-05-2012, 12:47 PM
...and I think it's a bit unfair of you Steve to suggest that someone still accepting cash payments is likely to be pulling a fast one.

I don't think it's unfair at all, it's just my personal experience and I can give you numerous examples of other trades doing exactly the same thing, it isn't a "DJ exclusive" club by any means. :shrug:

The mobile mechanic that my Dad uses, all cash, no paperwork, the guy that installed next door's new fence, all cash, no paperwork, the woman that cuts my Wife's hair, all cash, no paperwork. I could go on...

yourdj
07-05-2012, 12:49 PM
one month before for me.

Lots of the balances are over £500/600 as the other post said and clients are much happier doing this.
I hate having to ask people for cash on the night.

Much better to not have to worry about it on the night IMO and focus on the gig
rather than whether the big round the best man is buying might be your cash :lol:

I remember a post the other day where the money was not paid and the client did a whip round and
presented the DJ with a load of 20,10,50p's at the end of the night. it was spot on by all accounts but what a pain.
I suppose for some folk it can have some tax benefit :sofa: especially if no receipts are issued :D

Me personally would rather take payment a month in advance on the last client meeting - all goes through
the books on internet banking then with the venue and date as reference instead of random cash etc.

Corabar Entertainment
07-05-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't think it's unfair at all, it's just my personal experience and I can give you numerous examples of other trades doing exactly the same thing, it isn't a "DJ exclusive" club by any means. :shrug:

The mobile mechanic that my Dad uses, all cash, no paperwork, the guy that installed next door's new fence, all cash, no paperwork, the woman that cuts my Wife's hair, all cash, no paperwork. I could go on...
Well I can't help it that you associate only with dodgy characters! :p :p :p :D

Charlie Brown
07-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Like everyone else, 21 days before. A lot of people seem to be paying upfront without me even asking? I think some people like to get everything out the way 'that's another debt cleared'

Trouble is, I end up spending the money before the gig. It is more rewarding (IMO) to do the job and then be given the cash. You feel like you're really working for it then? Does that make sense?

Mister Musicman
07-05-2012, 01:20 PM
If you want customers to pay you, you must be firm with your payment terms. It’s okay to be flexible and understanding, but there must be a limit in which your clients are aware of your terms (deadlines, upfront payments, etc.) and that they should respect them.

Customers may decide to delay your payment or not pay you at all, leaving you worrying, stressed, and angry:argue: . Well, who wouldn’t be? All that hard work, time, and effort shouldn’t be repaid with silence and an unpaid invoice.

The most professional way to prevent this unfortunate event from happening is to ask for an upfront payment. This is payment given before work is ever done and it’s a payment term that many other professionals implement. Any Mobile DJ can demand upfront payment for the work, especially if he is strict with his terms.

The secret is not to be hesitant when asking for payment and you must have confidence when someone says they "don’t do upfront payments". It’s your business and they shouldn’t be allowed to dictate how you run it!

Here’s some advice - When faced with a client who is less enthusiastic about upfront payments, the number one rule is that you don’t have to be mean and threatening about it.

There are ways that you can convince the client that you deserve payment before the event and it‘s important to give the a reason that they will agree with. Here are a few things that I believe will work well for just about any DJ:

(1) Tell the customer that upfront payment is a strict rule that you always follow when doing business.
(2) It has been embarrassing previously when trying to do business with someone who is not completely sober after the party.
(3) Show the client your testimonials from other people who have paid upfront.
(4) Let them know that you are professional and are more than serious when it comes to offering your services.

Politely but firmly say no if the client does not respect your terms and conditions. It shows that he or she is not that serious with you, and might not pay you afterwards.
:DJ:

Steve the DJ
07-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Well I can't help it that you associate only with dodgy characters! :p :p :p :D

Well I know you and Steve! :evelgrin:

Let me be clear, I'm not having a go at anyone, I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular, just suggesting that from my own experience the good old "cash in hand" market is alive and well in many trades and no paperwork and cash pick ups are usually a good sign that the income is undeclared.

:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Well I know you and Steve! :evelgrin:

Let me be clear, I'm not having a go at anyone, I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular, just suggesting that from my own experience the good old "cash in hand" market is alive and well in many trades and no paperwork and cash pick ups are usually a good sign that the income is undeclared.

:D

Do you still want cash for that booking in June?

:sj:

funkymook
07-05-2012, 01:30 PM
It is more rewarding (IMO) to do the job and then be given the cash. You feel like you're really working for it then? Does that make sense?

I understand what you're saying, job well done, cash in my pocket to show for it at the end of the night - but I think that's a legacy of the 'paid hobby' mentality.

With most jobs you don't get paid as you do the work, it's usually a monthly wage packet.

Steve the DJ
07-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Do you still want cash for that booking in June?

:sj:

All in £1 coins please... :D

I understand what you're saying, job well done, cash in my pocket to show for it at the end of the night - but I think that's a legacy of the 'paid hobby' mentality.

With most jobs you don't get paid as you do the work, it's usually a monthly wage packet.

:like:

funkymook
07-05-2012, 01:39 PM
the good old "cash in hand" market is alive and well in many trades and no paperwork and cash pick ups are usually a good sign that the income is undeclared.

It's almost irrelevant whether it's declared or not - it's peoples perception that matters in this case.

I'd say that some (not all) when asked to pay cash in hand for a service will have the thought it's 'off the books' cross their mind.

Corabar Entertainment
07-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Well I know you and Steve! :evelgrin: I walked right in to that one! :D

Steve the DJ
07-05-2012, 01:45 PM
It's almost irrelevant whether it's declared or not - it's peoples perception that matters in this case.

I'd say that some (not all) when asked to pay cash in hand for a service will have the thought it's 'off the books' cross their mind.

Absolutely.

We have probably all done cash in hand work, this isn't about judging the morality of it, but if a large percentage of a profession all ask to be paid in cash then it does give a hobbyist/off the books impression whether it's true or not. :(

I walked right in to that one! :D

:approve:

Fullforceeventsltd
07-05-2012, 01:48 PM
For us all balance payments must be made at the latest 21 days prior to the event date. I only toughened up on this in the last 2 years.

Over the years I have a few clients trying to pull a fast one.

ajm
07-05-2012, 06:41 PM
I was a driving instructor for 20 years and 95% of payments was cash in hand and I hardly ever wrote out a reciept unless they paid for a number of lessons in advance or if they wanted one. That does not mean I never declared my earnings.

The law is that a reciept does not have to be given, not for any buisness, but I always carry a reciept book and if they ask for it then fine.

Excalibur
07-05-2012, 09:38 PM

We are indeed, Steve. And don't forget to factor in to your declarations to HMRC the value of "Payments in kind", ie the drinks bought for you by customers, and the sausage rolls and egg sarnies from the buffet. ;)

katman
07-05-2012, 10:30 PM
and the sausage rolls and egg sarnies from the buffet. ;)

Stick to the Chicken Drumstick. The bones account for 20% so you eat the chicken and send the bones to HMRC in settlement of your account :lol:

Javlingames
08-05-2012, 08:39 AM
I would be reluctant to pay anyone providing me with a service upfront ever since i paid my wedding photographer upfront and have still not received my pictures after 6 months.

I think half up front then half when the job is completed will be my new rule when hiring someone.

My gigs are either cash/cheque on night, usually at the end or payment 30 days after.

Corabar Entertainment
08-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Don't you get a lot of your gigs through Dings, though? You wouldn't have any say in how the payment is made for those, would you?

JAMdisco
08-05-2012, 10:35 AM
At the moment I give my clients the option of paying upfront or on the night in cash (before the disco commences - stated in my T&C's).

Most pay on the night (probably around 80%) and some want to pay upfront to get it 'out of the way'.

I'm quite happy with the arrangement but as I'm moving more to digital contracts I may change to full payment 14 days before by direct bank transfer - it does make more sense and like has been said, most other professions run this way....

I wonder if I can pay for my holiday in cash when I get on the plane? :D :p

Javlingames
08-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Don't you get a lot of your gigs through Dings, though? You wouldn't have any say in how the payment is made for those, would you?

Yes i do get a lot from dings, i get paid by dings at the end of each month regardless if dings have been paid or not. If I wanted to I could say i want my money 30 days prior and if the venue/client was happy with that arrangement then i would be paid. Ive never asked for it though. I dont think many of the larger corporate clients wouldnt work that way though.

The gigs that i do not do through dings are pick ups or payment after event.

par6
08-05-2012, 03:01 PM
26 years and has always been cash (sometimes cheque) on the night, never had a problem.
To be paid before would feel like doing the gig for free.

Corabar Entertainment
08-05-2012, 03:09 PM
To be paid before would feel like doing the gig for free.Do you feel like your holiday is free because you paid for it in advance? :D

Excalibur
08-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Stick to the Chicken Drumstick. The bones account for 20% so you eat the chicken and send the bones to HMRC in settlement of your account :lol:

True, but it makes it such a problem when you get a rebate!|:D

In the day job, I've had to insist on customers only giving me biscuits and cakes from Aldi, rather than Waitrose or M&S, in order to keep below the VAT threshold. ;)

Right, I'll try to be serious if I can. I'm not totally ecstatic about taking full payment for discos in advance, I'm much happier with a deposit upfront, and balance on the night. Much of this stems from the old days, when you never knew if enough kit was going to survive to ensure completing the function!! :eek: I always preferred being paid for something I actually had provided, rather than something I'd promised to provide.

In the day job, I get materials on monthly accounts from suppliers, and then bill customers for them when I've finished the job. The suppliers don't get their money till the month end, usually. Customers don't often take kindly to being asked to pay for materials before I've even started the job.

What I'm trying to say is that there's no right or wrong answer, no one size fits all, but that whatever works best for you, and more importantly your customers, is the way you should operate.

sweetie
08-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Here in Ireland its not uncommon for the wedding band I am resident dj for to be paid in cash of upto about 3000 euro after their performance . At least 50% of the gigs we do are like this. Never heard of them not being paid though.
All my other gigs are payment of the balance in cash, draft or cheque on the night or in advance depending on what suits the customer.
I did a gig recently for a revenue employee taking early retirement and he paid the balance upfront in cash at 6pm and didn't ask for a receipt!

par6
08-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Do you feel like your holiday is free because you paid for it in advance? :D
No :)

Corabar Entertainment
08-05-2012, 03:36 PM
No :)I rest my case!

:lol:

par6
08-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Thanks

Twinspin
17-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Normally take payments up tp 14 days before for a wedding. On some occasions i let them pay the rest on the night before i start. I have recently said ok to a cheque on the night because of the clients circumstances on the day.

Not bad or anything they had plenty of money. But there wasnt a bank within a few miles of them.

Ryu
17-05-2012, 03:22 PM
I also allow the option of both, but aside from the added security of being paid in advance, I like the simple notion of getting home after a late night, and emptying a full wallet out onto the table, (which my wife kindly picks up in the morning and spends for me. She's good like that)...it must be some old school hunter gatherer thing. Good Night, Job Done, Payment received!

Charlie Brown
17-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Someone's just dropped off £500 cash for their event in July - I didn't even ask for it but knew they were popping round. He didn't even ask for a receipt (and I didn't think at the time)

What's my point? More and more couples expect to pay upfront.

Shaun
17-05-2012, 04:03 PM
What's my point? More and more couples expect to pay upfront.

I'd love all my clients to pay upfront. All are provided that option but I just don't force it upon them. I may change my mind at some point and decide to change direction. But for now, if it aint broke...

HeartandSoul
18-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Hi, payment upfront or on the night before we switch on. Never had a problem.

paul1404
20-05-2012, 06:13 PM
lol - i have had the bride/groom pay me out of the money envelopes they recieved once
After this I tend to ask for cash up front now - But I do give the option - Some people like to recieve a service b4 they pay - Some just like to pay before and not worry about the day -

soundmaster mobile disco
21-05-2012, 12:53 AM
I have had a chance to speak with a few djs in my area,most say they are like me,deposit at time of booking and balance due on the night.Maybe its what everyone expects\how to pay a dj here.

thanks for all your posts guys,if you are being honest it would seem that most of you get paid in advance of your gig.

I may look at changing the way i do things in the near future.

ukpartydj
21-05-2012, 10:30 AM
In my personal opinion I think the best way is deposit made at time of booking and the balance to be paid on the night in cash or 7 days beforehand.

You are trusting the customer to pay you the remainder.
They are trusting you with their deposit money.

I've had issues before where you pay the business 100% of the fee then they take ages to get the job done. If you pay them some money upfront then the rest on completion they have an incentive to work. I admit only unprofessional businesses run like this but there are a lot of cowboy mobile discos and a lot of professionals so how does the customer know for a fact your not a cowboy?

I've been asked after being very professional posting a contract with a message etc etc "you are going to turn up aren't you" ...

yourdj
21-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Its a shame there is no poll on this thread. Interesting to see who takes money before and event. Seems an even spread.

Corabar Entertainment
21-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Ask and ye shall receive ;)

I've kept the responses simple, as there are loads of possible permutations, so through it would make things easier if is was kept to what people usually do.

Larry B Entertainment
21-05-2012, 01:10 PM

I really dont see the issue here. I would imagine that they carry reciept books or could give the customer a receipt if they asked for one the same as what some shops do.

Corabar Entertainment
21-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Just to put a 'client' slant on this - ie whether they mind paying n advance or not....

Due to the fact that I've been a bit fuzzy-headed due to a cold, I didn't get around to sending out my usual payment reminders to 3 clients towards the end of last week. During the course of today, all 3 clients have contacted me to check their balance so that they can get the payment made and cleared out of the way so that they have one less thing to remember. (Not identical, but very similar wording used by all of them of which the above is a summary)