PDA

View Full Version : Bride and Groom leaving

MikeW
25-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Hi Guys
Don't think this has been covered before?

I have a wedding soon where for the first in a long long time, the Bride and Groom are leaving earlier than the finish time.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas with regards to the above. How would you give them a good send off?
Male guests form a line down one side, female down the other? Bride and groom walk down the line shaking everyones hand? What music to play?

Any more ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Daryll
25-05-2012, 05:40 PM
I suppose the obvious reply would be to ask them , In my limited experience , if the B&G leave early , the party often fades away as well.
sorry if this is no help.

Daryll

MikeW
25-05-2012, 06:15 PM
I suppose the obvious reply would be to ask them , In my limited experience , if the B&G leave early , the party often fades away as well.

Daryll

Thanks Daryll. As I said, I have not had this for years. It may be a problem getting the party going again, but the choice is theirs.

chrisj
25-05-2012, 06:36 PM
If B&G are leaving early I always ask them how they would like to leave. With an archway as in the old days and 'You'll never walk alone' Gerry & the Pacemakers playing as they pass through the archway. Or just a small anouncement saying they are leaving, maybe a big round of applause as they leave. Ask them and do what they want, after all it is wedding celebration that is ending as far as they are concerned.
As Daryll says, the party will fade after they leave. Well it usually does but then I did one where there was more dancing after the B&G had left than when they were present.

They will appreciate you asking Mike, and understand you are doing it the way they want it to be. If you cannot get to them then ask the best man to ask them.

MikeW
25-05-2012, 07:45 PM
If B&G are leaving early I always ask them how they would like to leave. With an archway as in the old days and 'You'll never walk alone' Gerry & the Pacemakers playing as they pass through the archway. Or just a small anouncement saying they are leaving, maybe a big round of applause as they leave. Ask them and do what they want, after all it is wedding celebration that is ending as far as they are concerned.
As Daryll says, the party will fade after they leave. Well it usually does but then I did one where there was more dancing after the B&G had left than when they were present.

They will appreciate you asking Mike, and understand you are doing it the way they want it to be. If you cannot get to them then ask the best man to ask them.

Thanks for that Chris. The groom in his email said he wanted a "line up" as they leave. That will not be a problem. I was really just wondering if anyone else did anything different. And what music they would play. Thanks very much for your input.

musicologydisco
25-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Cliff Richard - "Congratulations" is good as they go through arch

MikeW
26-05-2012, 07:11 AM
Cliff Richard - "Congratulations" is good as they go through arch

Thanks Mark

funkymook
26-05-2012, 07:27 AM
My B&G left through an arch to Bob Marley's 'Exodus' last night!

Ryu
26-05-2012, 08:17 AM
I have done a big guest circle on the dancefloor, which the B and G go round in opposite directions ahead of archwaying them out the door...song choices were all rather obvious, Greatest Day - Take That, U2 - Beautiful Day etc. Can work nicely.

dj foureyes
26-05-2012, 09:21 AM
I usually play Celebration by Kool and the Gang ,extended mix,when I do the arch and this is usually long enough for the Bride and Groom to say their thank yous and goodbyes and the for the crowd to carry on dancing.
:thumbs_up:

WWDJ
26-05-2012, 09:38 AM
My Bride and Groom 'retired' early last night, sneaking away leaving everyone else to party.

JTRS
26-05-2012, 09:45 AM
The last wedding I did the bride and groom had decided in advance that they were leaving just after midnight and I was booked until 1.00am.

As they were going I had Queen - Don't stop me now already cued up so I announced that they were leaving (so the guests could say their last goodbyes) and I also tagged onto the end of the announcement that if anyone was wondering why they were leaving early then all they had to do was listen to the first 9 words of this (and I pressed play).

That got a huge smile and thumbs up from the bride.

It was one of the few weddings I have done where the guests stayed on until the bitter end even though the bride and groom had left

JTRS

Shaun
26-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Had this situation a few times, the last one was just last Friday. I just finished the night as I usually do. Guests on the floor in a big circle, and at the end of the song the guests cheered as they B&G departed. As soon as they were out of the room I just kicked in with a floorfiller and the party continued. It can be hit or a miss when the newlyweds leave early. Sometimes the party just fizzles out as more people leave, but other times the party continues on strong.

Ecstatic Events
26-05-2012, 10:52 AM
+1 for the arch. From the DJ booth to the exit. Of course consult with the B&G if you wish but in my experience spontaneous works.

MikeW
26-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Thanks very much everybody. I will do a combination of all of your replys :)

yourdj
27-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Depends on the venue and the crowd and what they want. I would normally pick a decent track from their track list assuming you have one.

Its amazing what happens on the moment. Tried an arch tonight with a young crowd and failed miserably so we just had a free for all last dance as the venue is a pain as its a very small dancefloor. In this situation i would dim the music up the lights and make sure everyone follows them out. after three cheers.

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Sorry Toby, but if you're failing miserably, then you aren't organising correctly and being 'in charge' on the mic.

More to learn perhaps?

MikeW
27-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Depends on the venue and the crowd and what they want. I would normally pick a decent track from their track list assuming you have one.

Its amazing what happens on the moment. Tried an arch tonight with a young crowd and failed miserably so we just had a free for all last dance as the venue is a pain as its a very small dancefloor. In this situation i would dim the music up the lights and make sure everyone follows them out. after three cheers.

Thanks again for all you replys. I just wanted to let you know how it went.
I partly used Toby's advice, and chose a song that had been requested. What I did was get a row of guys on one side and a row of ladies on the other, asked them all to sit down! Put on "oops upside your head" and got the Bride and Groom to sit down at the start of the line up, and bum shuffle all the way to the end of the line :D

Now the real story (not as exciting!) Just got two lines male/female, starting at the exit and working back. The B&G walked down the line hugging and kissing everyone. While I played Kool and the Gang/celebration into Congratulations. (It did take a bit of organising, the groom did not want to leave! Which hopefully was a bit of a compliment) It turned out to be a very good night. Thanks again everyone.

Daryll
27-05-2012, 06:03 PM
What I did was get a row of guys on one side and a row of ladies on the other, asked them all to sit down! Put on "oops upside your head" and got the Bride and Groom to sit down at the start of the line up, and bum shuffle all the way to the end of the line :D

Makes mental note.........................:D :D

Daryll

paul1404
27-05-2012, 07:41 PM
I would play Jungle Skank as they left ;)

paull
17-07-2012, 09:49 AM
I find letting the guests know when the bride and groom are formally leaving keeps some of the guests at the venue and prevents the drift of guests that can occurr especially on a Sunday wedding.

Line up like suggested Male one side Female other works well

Shakermaker Promotions
17-07-2012, 10:09 AM
I think I have had this scenario about 5 times over the years. I always mention it over the mic that the Bride & Groom are leaving early so that everyone knows.
To be honest, and this may sound out of order but it's not meant to... I have had a couple of occasions where the night has been really good with lots of dancing but once the Bride & Groom have gone and everyone has seen them off, it's felt as if it's a kind of relief to the guests. I know that sounds bad and it's not as if they've had a bad time, it's just that (as we all know) a Wedding is a long day and I think some (not all) use it as an excuse to get away early as they are knackered.

I've had the situation where as soon as the Bride & Groom have left, the venue has emptied out pretty quickly even after a great night. It doesn't make you feel that great to be honest but as I said, it's probably down to people wanting to get away early after a long, tiring day.
I think it's good to make a really big deal of them leaving but to also find out in advance what they want because not everyone likes the whole traditional thing of the arch etc.

The best one I saw was when everyone vacated outside and I played 'Rule the World' by Take That and as the couple got in the car to go back to their hotel, all of the guests let off those chinese lanterns. That was pretty cool.

ppentertainments
17-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Last night the bride and groom left early as flying to Thailand. Once they had gone I was asked for chillout background music. Everyone was knackered, not many left neither and enjoyed an hour or so relax. I ended up packing the lighting etc away and joining the parents with a coffee.

lazersounds
17-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Had this a few times this year, the Bride and Groom tend to leave around a hour before finish.

Its always best to ask what they want to do when they leave, as I have had couples who would like to do the "arch" or a "circle" and others who want to just slip out quietly through the back door :)

I find for circles Take That - Never forget works well for me and is often requested by the B&G for the goodbye circles.

Its very hit and miss once the B&G have left, sometimes i finish early because everyone else has escaped and others, i'm asked to play some house, trance, club stuff "as the boring people have left" so i'm told or usually try to finish the night will some party anthems to try to keep people from going home

DazzyD
17-07-2012, 12:52 PM

Daryll

I actually find the opposite. I usually find that there is a hard-core of guests that are determined to party on after the happy couple have left the venue. I tend to keep it upbeat until the last 30 mins or so when I start to chill down the music as this tends to help people on their way without being pumped up thus making it less likely there'd be any trouble. ;)

JAMdisco
17-07-2012, 01:05 PM
I actually find the opposite. I usually find that there is a hard-core of guests that are determined to party on after the happy couple have left the venue. I tend to keep it upbeat until the last 30 mins or so when I start to chill down the music as this tends to help people on their way without being pumped up thus making it less likely there'd be any trouble. ;)

Would that be the same crowd that loiter round the exit while you're trying to carry the gear out? :D

I've had many different scenarios, some keep dancing (and want more at the end), some do fizzle out no matter what you play and of course the most common (in my experience) is that the B&G stay until the bitter end.

I do ask if they will be staying until the end and what kind of exit they would like and always try to please them (after all, that's what we're paid for).

mattydj50
17-07-2012, 10:19 PM
I can't remember the last time a B&G have left early. Mind you they almost always are staying at the hotel so have no real need to.

HeartandSoul
18-07-2012, 08:32 PM
I has this on Saturday. Bride said she was tired at 10 and went to bed. Crowd was difficult to get on the dancefloor, but after the couple left rather oddly it really picked up, and the floor was pretty full until 12.20. Only one incident mind you, a pretty drunk chap came over with his shirt undone in the middle of an LMFAO track, and said " play elvis now and if you don't :Censored: Play elvis now I am going to smash your stuff". So I politely wandered over to the the best man and told him we have a problem i dont want to get out of hand, and he went over to the dancefloor with 3 mates and took the guy off the floor and had a few words with him. I then played elvis anyway for a quiet life and he was as good as gold. :rolleyes:

CRAZY K
18-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Would that be the same crowd that loiter round the exit while you're trying to carry the gear out? :D

So true---normally smoking as well or waiting for the taxi that has to be phoned at least 3 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can get them to do an arch at the end I usually give them a bit of the old uptempo Jimmy Shand--gets them swaying and dancing etc just for something different---

and now my story---

My funniest arch was a few years ago when the bride appeared through the arch---- missing her new husband.:daft:

Where was he:confused:

Ah yes he appears still kissing the girls-- with his trousers down around his ankles---Bride looked very unhappy :eek:

Oh dear---then the Paramedics appeared to cart away some bloke who was comatose on the floor ( apparently) drunk himself stupid--the Paramedics proceeded to barge the B and G out the way in their hurry to get this guy to the Ambulance:rolleyes:

Weddings eh?