PDA

View Full Version : Laptop screen goes black??

Jonathan Ford
31-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Hi all

I'm after some laptop help if possible. My laptop screen fades to virtually black, completely randomly. Whatever is on the screen when thus happens us barely visible, but still there. By faffing about at angles, I can see that the screen brightness is set to max. If I close the laptop lid, then open it again, all is well for a few seconds, maybe a minute, after I press the power button...then nothing again!

Cheers

J

Booche
31-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Hi all

I'm after some laptop help if possible. My laptop screen fades to virtually black, completely randomly. Whatever is on the screen when thus happens us barely visible, but still there. By faffing about at angles, I can see that the screen brightness is set to max. If I close the laptop lid, then open it again, all is well for a few seconds, maybe a minute, after I press the power button...then nothing again!

Cheers

J

It sounds as though its going in to energy saving mode/sleep mode if you have a look in the power management there is options to setit to do nothing when power button is pressed, when your using battery, when the power is low on the battery etc or when not used for so long

If you look in the control panel and look in hardware and sound the choose power options you will see the all the selections in there (if youing windows 7) other windows having the same option but have there own section in control panel

Hope this helps and manages to sort the issue out.

Jonathan Ford
31-05-2012, 08:16 PM
It sounds as though its going in to energy saving mode/sleep mode if you have a look in the power management there is options to setit to do nothing when power button is pressed, when your using battery, when the power is low on the battery etc or when not used for so long

If you look in the control panel and look in hardware and sound the choose power options you will see the all the selections in there (if youing windows 7) other windows having the same option but have there own section in control panel

Hope this helps and manages to sort the issue out.

Thanks anyway, but nothings changed settings wise.

Booche
31-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks anyway, but nothings changed settings wise.

Ahh right could be worth just checking to see if any updates have altered anything (i doubt they will but you never know)

DazzyD
31-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Are you sure? One of my laptops started doing random things a couple of weeks ago. It would appear it had ran some kind of update mid-gig and completely reset all of my options on VDJ. It was very strange indeed!

But it does sound like it's going to "sleep". Or maybe even the screensaver settings have changed and the screensaver is kicking in unexpectedly.

SoundONE
31-05-2012, 08:32 PM
I would guess it's hardware and it sounds like the backlight driver is failing to me, closing the lid powers the driver circuit down but when re-energized it fails again, a thermally intermittent fault.

Jiggles
31-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Sounds like its FUCT! Failed Under Constant Testing. New screen may solve the problem but would possibly cheaper to get a new laptop.

DazzyD
31-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Sounds like its FUCT! Failed Under Constant Testing. New screen may solve the problem but would possibly cheaper to get a new laptop.

The guy I sub work from had a laptop whose screen died. He actually ordered a new screen off t'internet and fitted it himself (and, by his own admission, he's not the best at computers!) but he pulled it off and saved some cash in the process. Just a thought!

SoundONE
31-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Many laptops use a driver circuit and it can be replaced quite easily and the screen will not need replacing but it really depends on the model.

SoundONE
31-05-2012, 10:41 PM
This is the sort of thing I am talking about but obviously your going to have to look into the model that you have. http://www.fonerbooks.com/laptop_5.htm or take it to someone who can help. But I would think from what you describe the driver is the most likely cause.

hadyn
01-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Sounds to me like the back light is failing if you shine a torch on the screen and can still see the desktop then the problem is hardware related and is either the backlight problem or the voltage converter circuit which usually runs along the bottom of the screen under the plastic bevelling.
all in all screen will need replacing or voltage converter but not a straight forward job unless your computer hardware lit.

Jonathan Ford
01-06-2012, 12:19 PM
This backlight malarkey sounds about right. I'll get a quote, or a new laptop, as I'm as computer literatate as a grapefruit.

Never heard of FUCT before. With me, computer problems are normally PICNIC (problem in chair, not in computer)!

spin mobile disco
01-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Sometimes a graphics driver update can cause this as well. Catalyst drivers by amd formally ati are often the culprit in graphical problems. Their own software bypasses the power managment in windows and manages its self. This means you have to change in one program then in its windows equilevent.
Back lights on older lcd laptops tend to go all at once rather than as you describe. Modern laptops dont use backlights as they are oled screens and produce their own light per pixel.

Jiggles
01-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Never heard of FUCT before. With me, computer problems are normally PICNIC (problem in chair, not in computer)!

Another one is PEBKAC (Problem exists between keyboard and chair.) :D

welby
19-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Sounds like the invertor (the circuit that supplies power to the screen) is failing. If the laptop is a decent specification and is worth repairing you can get replacements.

You need to be electrically and mechanically confident in replacing the invertor as it means removing the screen in most cases.

Andy Collins
19-06-2012, 01:26 PM
The easiest way to check whether its a screen LCD or inverter problem is to buy a cracked but working screen from ebay for a couple of quid. (carefully) remove the screen and plug in the cracked screen. If it stays lit then the inverter is on its way out.

It's not difficult to change the inverter but use exreeme caution when attempting to do so. Remove ALL power including the battery BEFORE attempting to remove the inverter. These carry amount of electricity!

The inverter is located just below the screen. You need to remove the plastic besel around the screen. Also do this carefully as a slip with the screwdriver wil ultimately scratch your screen!

If in doubt take it to your local PC repair shop (NOT PC WORLD). It will take about 1 - 2 hours to repair and cost around £50 - £100.

(Afore mentioned PC world will take around 2 weeks and if they don't loose your laptop they will either damage it or wipe your data.)

DJ Jules
19-06-2012, 03:46 PM
This is the sort of thing I am talking about but obviously your going to have to look into the model that you have. http://www.fonerbooks.com/laptop_5.htm or take it to someone who can help. But I would think from what you describe the driver is the most likely cause.

Jees that's an old guide. The laptop in the pictures is one of the old Toshiba Satellite series (1st generation Pentium's!) from 1997 or so. The principles are the same though.

These are the bit's you're after (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Studio-15-1535-1536-Laptop-Screen-Inverter-0P927C-/330491456961?) (dependent on the make/model of your laptop of course). Typical cost £15-£20 and about 30mins to fit.

What laptop is it?

Julian