PDA

View Full Version : American Audio VMS

ajm
03-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Hi,
Currently I use a Laptop with a omni controller which goes through a Numark CD Mix 3. The reason I put it through the cd mix is incase of Laptop failure, which would allow me to switch to CD's, also I use the Microphone alot and I can use the Mic equalizer on the cd mix. The downside of going through the cd mix 3 is the sound quality is not as good.

I am looking for an alternative, with limited funds, up to £500.
I want to use just a laptop with Midi Controller, but I want a reliable one which has Mic input with Gain, Treble, Mid & Bass Control, using the microphone with good quality is vital.
Balanced XLR Outputs with a good soundcard.
I am currently using tracktor le but an upgrade with 4 channels would be nice although not as important as Mic and sound quality.

I am looking to buy either the American Audio VMS or Numark N4, but I would welcome any views on these or others.

Thanks

Jason
03-06-2012, 04:34 PM
I'm on the original VMS4 (there is VMS4.1)
I'm happy with the control side of the VMS4 and have been using it for the last couple of years (or since it was released).
The bad problems I have are;

-Mic inputs. Suck. Big. Far, far too hot. I got attenuators, which help, but really are no comparison to any other mixer I own.

-Headphone output. Far too quiet.

-Master Output, a bit low.

Apparently these problems are fixed on 4.1, but this is a hardware change, so the original owners are left with a poor product.

For me.. the Mic input is the worst problem and I now take a small notebook mixer to many gigs.

I can only suggest going to hear a VMS4.1 for yourself. Find a local retailer.

I'll be upgrading at the end of the year, so will be looking for good upgrades then. From what I read, the MC6000 doesn't have fantastic mic inputs. I'm really not sure why 20-yr old mixers can do this fairly simple job, but a modern controller cant?

However, I'll probably not buy AA for Audio again, the attenuators took months to appear in the UK. Forum support was lacklustre and the attenuator really didn't truly address the issue.

But, as a controller, I'm happy. Metal jog wheels, long (ish) sliders. I don't run 4 decks, but do have 1 input for the other mixer, so the mixed analog function is very helpful.

ajm
05-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks Jason, I have taken on board what you said and researched further and it seems even the 4.1 has mic issues so I need to find another controller. The Numark N4 seems perfect except for the fact I have been told its toy like in appearence. I then thought about the Denon 3000 but no EQ on this, now reading up on the 6000. Like I said the Microphone Quality is vital to me but its differcult to find a contrlloer with this in mind.
Thanks

discoworld
05-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Remember you will also find negatives on the internet. People will post the bad information rather than any positive information.

As far as I am aware the VMS 4.1 has no problems, and is a very popular choice. They admit the issues with the VMS4 - and the did try and address them with the adaptor, so I think they would make sure the 4.1 has no issues which are similar - but that's just my opinion. Get yourself in to a dealer and have a look.

AndyC
06-06-2012, 05:05 PM
I have the 4.1 and am very happy with it I have had had no problems with either the mic inputs or the overall output in fact I thinkitsounds so much better than my by arm cm200usb it has been
a good buy as far
Andt

Jason
06-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Thanks Jason, I have taken on board what you said and researched further and it seems even the 4.1 has mic issues so I need to find another controller. The Numark N4 seems perfect except for the fact I have been told its toy like in appearence. I then thought about the Denon 3000 but no EQ on this, now reading up on the 6000. Like I said the Microphone Quality is vital to me but its differcult to find a contrlloer with this in mind.
Thanks

It may still be worth checking out the 4.1 in a retailer demo environment, I had a look around at similar controllers the other night and there wasn't much out there. For me, I'd also like a spare analog input (for hooking up an iPOD/cheap MP3 player or wireless mics), 1 good mic input and solid build.

If you call the dealer, explain your concerns, I would expect the chance for a head-to-head with some other controllers.
I don't know who you have in Kent, but DJ Superstore in Southend may be worth a visit?

ajm
06-06-2012, 08:58 PM
I opted for the Denon 6000 in the end, it was more than I wanted to shell out but I managed to get DJ Superstore to price match Thomann and got it for £600. Hopefully paying the extra cash will be worth it.

Thanks for all the help

DJ Jules
06-06-2012, 09:34 PM
After the recent posts on here about trying to find a controller that could also play CD's, I bought the Numark Mixdeck express (jack of trades, master of none as they say) and I've been very pleasantly surprised. Good sound quality, XLR out's, two Mic inputs with Eq and gain on both and one is switchable to phono in if needed. Good quality sound card and Midi controller and as a bonus it also plays from CD's and USB sticks. It is a little plasticy, but actually feels surprisingly solid in use given it's appearance.

The only thing it won't do is 4 decks, but if you bought the N4 then you'd get this (plus more buttons for things like effects, samples, loops, etc, midi mixer section and even better slider/jog accuracy/resolution).

I've never been a Numark fan... until now.

I also have a Mixtrack pro - which is cheap as chips and does the job brilliantly for walk up gigs and kids discos, but does lack the Eq on the Mic channel and I do miss it.

Julian

DJ Jules
06-06-2012, 09:34 PM
I opted for the Denon 6000 in the end, it was more than I wanted to shell out but I managed to get DJ Superstore to price match Thomann and got it for £600. Hopefully paying the extra cash will be worth it.

Oops, just saw this - that would have been my other suggestion ;)

Julian