PDA

View Full Version : Denon MC6000, Virtual DJ and Music Videos.

Twinspin
07-06-2012, 09:28 PM
I did a gig on sat night running music videos at a wedding and i wanted to listen to the music video so i could start videos with a long intro at the start point of the song.

I was looking to setup pre-set cue points on videos.

But.

I cant hear music videos through my headphones on a channel set on the opposite side of the crossfader when i have crossfade mode set to audio and video.

So crossfade the audio and video on the mc6000 you need both of them on is there anything i could do to fix this.

Thanks for any help.

Excalibur
08-06-2012, 06:53 AM
Speaking as a fully paid up Numpty, is it not possible to work without the crossfader? :confused: When using VDJ for Karaoke it works fine like that.

Regular readers will know my hatred of the crossfader. Give me two individual faders, and I'm away.

DJ Jules
08-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Speaking as a fully paid up Numpty, is it not possible to work without the crossfader? :confused: When using VDJ for Karaoke it works fine like that.

The crossfader comes in handy when you're using VDJ for videos as it triggers the transition effects to go from one video to the next. You can also hook it up to automatically cross fade and run the transition when you hit play on the idle deck which is also pretty neat.

Looking at the manual for the MC6000, if you set it to PC MIX (as opposed to INT MIX) then the cross fader on the unit will control the cross fader in VDJ and you will be able to hear the deck you're cueing up through the headphones as long as the deck is the one that has PFL active on it in VDJ (something that happens automatically as soon as you cue a new track up on a deck).

This should help but as I'm working from the manual and I'm not a MC6000 user myself, I'll include a disclaimer ;)

Julian

Craig - Dragon Discos
10-06-2012, 01:42 AM
What settings are you using in VDJ for the sound? Ive used mine in both int & pc mode and been able to preview the sound by just using the headphones.
P.S. you dont need to use the crossfader to transition the videos. I've set a button to automatically do it at a set speed, so when I press the button, it fades to the opposite video deck over the courseof 4 seconds (you can set whatever time you like)

DJ Jules
10-06-2012, 08:34 AM
P.S. you dont need to use the crossfader to transition the videos. I've set a button to automatically do it at a set speed, so when I press the button, it fades to the opposite video deck over the courseof 4 seconds (you can set whatever time you like)

He did say that he wanted to use it with the audio and video linked to the crossfader - what you have above is the two not linked (so video can be faded over separately to audio) and pressing the button triggers the fade.

Twinspin
10-06-2012, 09:11 AM
The crossfader works fine when crossfading the transition betweeen music videos

Ill try and give a better detailed example of whats going on.

My MC6000 i have set on INT Mix on the back which my midi channels are on channels 2/3

Channel 2 - Left Side Of The crossfader
Channel 3 - Right Side Of The crossfader

for example im playing a song through midi control on channel 2. Then i want to cue a song on channel 3. I cant hear anything through the headphones. The only way i will get sound through the headphones out of channel 3 is if i move the crossfader to the right which interupts the track thats playing through the sound system.

thats with both audio and video set on CF Mode. You can get this working with just audio tracks and thats by just selecting video on CF Mode then i can hear anything through the headphones on any channel regardless of what side of the crossfader its on.

But this no good for cueing music videos. Because having the crossfader set to just video means i can only crossfade the video and not the sound.

Excalibur
10-06-2012, 12:45 PM
What settings are you using in VDJ for the sound? Ive used mine in both int & pc mode and been able to preview the sound by just using the headphones.

To me, that sounds ideal. If as John says, you can't preview the non playing channel in the headphones, that seems ridiculous. :daft:

Twinspin
23-07-2012, 04:45 PM
I thought id come back and give a little bit of an update.

The setup seems to be working fine still with the videos. Ive had the setup out a couple of times and its worked fine. So all is good at the moment.