PDA

View Full Version : Behringer Sonic Exciter 3040

paulg
13-06-2012, 06:33 PM
I thought I'd give one of these a whirl more out of interest than need - but here's a bit of a review.

Ever since I got rid of all my HK Audio stuff, I've sort of missed their unique sound and signal processing - rich and warm but with a lot of presence. The RCF's (722a/4Pro 8003as) I now use somehow never really cut it with me -although they are very clear and loud, they produce a quite a faithful reproduction of the the inward signal. OK in some situations but not always what you need.

The Sonic Exciter, although it sounds like it comes from an Ann Summers catalogue, does really work by adding harmonics, providing variable bass cut offs, and an ability to mix the two. The result is a much more dynamic sound where highs and lows are more pronounced and bass is punchier. For reproduction of MP3, the unit really does make for a more interesting output - rather as if something at 192KB is being played back at 320KB - a very noticeable and positive difference. I even tried it with 128KB MP3 and it really made a difference.

Anyway, in summary, quite a worthwhile addition to a sound system, especially one that uses MP3. I'd recommend them.